Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199723 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2010, 06:15:57 pm »
Llandudno Promenade this morning:

Llandudno Snow by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Llandudno Snow by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2010, 06:24:39 pm »
Llandudno Pier in the Snow:

Pier In the Snow by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Jack

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2010, 06:41:43 pm »
Have been in central Llandudno all day - in that time, I've not seen one council employee, van, lorry. The pavements along the main shopping streets are absolutely lethal. I would call CCBC's response pathetic but that would imply that they had actually done something...and they haven't. If I was a shop, cafe, bar owner in Llandudno, I would be raising hell about this on one of the busiest shopping days of the year. Credit to the Victoria Centre who cleared the entire pavement along their frontage.

I couldn't agree more, the pavements by Lloyds Bank and Trinity Church are absolutely horrendous, people grabbing hold to each other, the wall and anything else they can find.  Tonight will be horrendous for the Christmas partygoers with a drink or two inside them and ladies (and men!) in unsuitable footwear and the taxi drivers are in for a tough and slippy night.  CCBC are a disgrace, its a false economy not gritting, how much will it cost the NHS to treat the broken bones etc etc that possibly would have been preventable if the council had gritted what are major thoroughfares?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 06:47:05 pm »
Geat pics as ever Dave  $cool$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 06:54:16 pm »
We walked to the Co Op in Penrhyn Bay (we live in the Penrhyn Beach Estate) this morning, the roads were sheet ice, pavements were  ok to walk in the snow, only grit we saw was outside the Co Op. So where is the grit on the side roads and pavements, as has been said it's more expensive fixing broken bones etc (I slipped on ice almost 4 years ago and broke my right wrist badly, it now has metalwork in it) but I suppose as it comes from a different budget they think it does'nt matter, but it does! it's all  our money   :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2010, 07:24:46 pm »
Pier in the snow:

Llandudno Pier Snow Scene by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2010, 08:28:10 pm »
Thats the best Pic of all Dave.

This afternoon, Mrs F and I met Dave R for a coffee, and on the way to meet him it was not easy to walk, but with care it was passable.

However, on the way back to our car, it had dropped colder and the pavements were utterly lethal.
I watched people outside the NatWest slipping and falling.  2 police officers (PCSO's) were having a frindly chat with the landlord of The Townhouse...and I heard him mention that he had been TOLD NOT TO GRIT OUTSIDE !    God knows what that was all about.

I then did the reverse of the journey that Medz earlier related, going up The Orme, (last night that was impossible, I left the car on Upper Mostyn St)
As he said, it was OK up to Black Gate.... but as soon as I got onto Llwynon Road it was pretty scary stuff.
I inched the car into a safe-ish place, sliding all over the place.... and its not moving for the foreseeable future!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2010, 10:40:30 pm »
Great photos of Llandudno Dave, I especially like the one of the Pier in the snow.   I just wish that I could have driven to Llandudno to see the conditions for myself.   As it turned out I was going nowhere and spent the afternoon digging out my drive.
I'm hoping to get some of those Yaktrax from Cotswolds to make walking easier on the pavements up here as it's just lethal now.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2010, 10:53:33 am »
Looking at your pics on another thread Hugo, don't think you'll be driving anywhere! safer to stay put-- cheese on toast for lunch ! Do take care.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2010, 11:21:30 am »
As you know now Nemesis I'm going nowhere today and that's good advice of yours to stay put. It's much safer to do so.    I took Marco for a very short walk today and the icy conditions are even worse I was glad to get back in one piece.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2010, 11:35:26 am »
And it's cold this morning, -9C first thing and not much warmer now.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2010, 11:48:05 am »
It looks as though CCBC have finally been stirred into action in Llandudno. The pavements along Mostyn Street have been gritted.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2010, 11:51:05 am »
this morning it was -5 C in Penrhyn Bay, a heatwave compared to some!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2010, 01:23:28 pm »
The snow is melting a bit in the back of our house which is south facing but the front is frozen solid.   Our dog has been swishing his face in the snow and has been coming in with snowballs on his whiskers as well as his feet!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2010, 06:51:47 pm »
Currently -11C outside our front door here in Conwy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:09:45 pm by Bellringer »