Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199968 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2018, 08:42:04 am »
One main effect of all SSWs is to produce a rise in Easterly winds - which is what we've seen this winter. What's been happening over the course of the past several weeks is unusual weather for the UK and accurately forecasting longer than 12 hours in advance has become very tricky.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #436 on: February 14, 2018, 03:59:36 pm »
It was very windy here on Colwyn Heights earlier today and some of my heavy garden furniture blew over.     It's bin day tomorrow so it would be a good thing for Kingdom Security to follow the bin lorry around. they would make a fortune in fines        ;D

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #437 on: February 26, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »
A small flurry of snow just passed the window,(Llanddudno) anybody got a spare carrot...... :twoface:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2018, 10:50:13 am »
A couple of inches of snow fell overnight  but the wind has died down so it doesn't seem that cold now.    Worse weather to come on Thursday though

There have been a number of schools that have closed because of the weather, including Ysgol Pen Y Bryn in Colwyn Bay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43203777

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #439 on: February 27, 2018, 11:25:19 am »
All the schools closed health & safety ,and where are the kids ,playing out in the snow 😂😂

Offline Hugo

« Reply #440 on: February 27, 2018, 12:27:38 pm »
The world has gone crazy Norman, this morning on ITV  I saw a Head Teacher who had banned throwing snowballs in school.  It's a good job he wasn't working in my school or he would have been pelted with snowballs.
So no snowball fighting and no conkers in school so what next?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: February 27, 2018, 01:20:11 pm »
The snowball ban is nothing new, Hugo; it was enforced for as long as I can remember and was done so to protect those who wear glasses from  having them knocked off. As a child in school I also noticed that the kids who enjoyed throwing them were very often the same ones who enjoyed making others' lives a misery through bullying.  Good schools either allows those kids who don't want to be spattered to go in during breaks, or allow snowballs only in certain areas.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #442 on: February 27, 2018, 01:41:08 pm »
The kids / parents are wimps these days ,if you wore glasses years ago you took them off to join in the snowball fights ,don't remember the school closed in the 50/60 s .some people have put pics up of the snow up the Orme 😂😂 they think that is snow .

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: February 27, 2018, 02:28:53 pm »
I don't agree. I don't deny there have been plenty who abuse H & S legislation for their own ends but wearing glasses from an early age, combined with snowballs, is a recipe for disaster.

A lot of kids aim specifically for the face. If you wear glasses, that can be mighty dangerous. And taking off your specs so you can join  in conveniently ignores two facts: a lot of kids wouldn't have anywhere safe to put their specs and - the most important, perhaps - once they've removed them, they aren't able to see well enough either to dodge incoming missiles or to fight back.

So, no; restricting snowball fighting to specific areas is the answer, but a lot of kids don't enjoy snowballing, in the same way a lot of kids don't enjoy football. Often, interestingly for the same reasons.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #444 on: February 27, 2018, 02:38:52 pm »
The kids / parents are wimps these days ,if you wore glasses years ago you took them off to join in the snowball fights ,don't remember the school closed in the 50/60 s .some people have put pics up of the snow up the Orme 😂😂 they think that is snow .

I bet you remember TB, rickets, and lice as well.

Eh up, those were the days.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline hollins

« Reply #445 on: February 27, 2018, 02:44:58 pm »
I thought it was just me thinking how strange it was to close schools so that the children could go out and play in the snow but now I know I am not alone.
Here is a photo of me and my brother playing happily in the snow in the school playground in about 1960 and me in a kilt!
The second photo is the temperature in Switzerland at 7.00am this morning......brrrr!

Offline DVT

« Reply #446 on: February 27, 2018, 04:39:36 pm »
We've had snow on the Orme before ... 1979 Cambrian Rally, and why it didn't happen !!!

My grand-daughter was off school today becaUse it was closed (John Brights) ... seems the problem is mainly due to the teachers not beiNg able to get there as they live out in the mountains or on Anglesey and elsewhere - are there no local teachers?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #447 on: February 28, 2018, 12:18:30 pm »
For the first time ever, the Weather Office has issued a red warning for snow.    It's for Edinburgh at 3.00 am tomorrow and people have been requested to stay indoors.
Watch out Mull as you could get some too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #448 on: February 28, 2018, 03:25:21 pm »
UK weather: Warning upgraded to red as heavy snow hits UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43221384

Offline mull

« Reply #449 on: February 28, 2018, 04:04:33 pm »
No problem here today. Bright sunshine, very clear no snow yet. Red warning is for the Central belt although I have just heard all Posties in Scotland are to finish work by 1500 hours.
Our problem has been the Easterly gale and cancelled ferries . MV Isle of Mull will attempt a crossing from and to Oban at 1600 hours, so no post or newspapers today. I can live with that.

Last Saturday was bad have a look at following website :- Life on Tiree, Construct and Destruct. MV Hebridean Isles trying to berth at Tiree. Luckily no one was hurt.
Watched launch of this ferry sideways into River Ouse at Selby. I was living in York at the time, there is a good video on YouTube--Launch of Hebridean Isles at Selby, No H & S in them days.

Stay warm and safe everyone.