Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 200435 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Weather
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2016, 05:14:38 pm »
29c on the car external temp gauge as we were leaving Prestatyn just after 3 this afternoon.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2016, 05:23:42 pm »
It is hard to believe but a bowls match being played in Llanfairpwill this afternoon was abandoned following two downpours of rain.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2016, 07:40:41 pm »
That's weird Bri, it's really localised weather.    Here in the Bay it is still baking hot     ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2016, 07:18:00 am »
Last night the humidity almost doubled between 7.00 and 9.00 pm. Made it very uncomfortable.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2016, 09:22:26 am »
We had a short shower during the night, but it is still very warm this morning.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #290 on: July 16, 2016, 11:58:24 am »
The Met office is showing expected temps in N Wales in the 82 / 28 region for Tuesday.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2016, 12:21:15 pm »
Take it with a pinch of salt then Ian.

Last night it said rain all day in N Wales.
This morning it revised it to NO rain in N Wales...
So by 11 am it was quite pleasant.
But now I am sat in the midst of heavy rain.
Their performance is little short of farcical.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: July 16, 2016, 01:33:09 pm »
I do use several sources, F, and Rain Radar was spot on with the rain today, I have to say. I think the 82F forecast for Tuesday will arrive, and with it significant humidity. They're usually better on temps than rainfall.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #293 on: July 16, 2016, 04:38:34 pm »
I had a look yesterday at the weather forecast and it was heavy rain forecast for all day on Saturday for North Wales so I telephoned my friend Tellytubby to cancel the walk today but instead we agreed to check on the weather at 9.00am today and as it was warm and dry we went ahead and had a walk.
It did have the odd light rain shower but nothing like the heavy rain that they said we would have.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2016, 08:22:13 am »
Starting to wish I'd placed a bet on my post, earlier.
The Met office is showing expected temps in N Wales in the 82 / 28 region for Tuesday.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2016, 06:42:15 pm »
Well, I was wrong.  It reached 86F / 30C today.  I suspect that's one of the highest ever.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2016, 07:53:53 am »
Well, June was the hottest on record worldwide (although not for us :-) and was the 14th month in succession that has seen temperature records broken. 

Offline DVT

« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2016, 09:33:15 am »
35° showing on my car dashboard when driving through Glan Conwy yesterday afternoon!!!  Yes, it was the temperature and not my speed!

Lots of noise and rain this morning!

Is it really global warming - I'm sure many of you can remember the days (about 60 years ago) when we had snow for weeks during winter and sunshine for weeks during summer - the seasons were defined.  Now I claim that Wales is capable of giving you all four seasons in the one day!  I know many blame the stuff we're putting into the atmosphere but is it really that, or is it just natural?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2016, 10:21:35 am »
I suspect a lot this year is down to the extremely pronounced El Nino effect although there's some research which suggests overall warming is aggravating that, too.  The planet's atmosphere is warming - that's been established beyond doubt. It's still not entirely clear what's mainly responsible. One notable irony is that when, in 1987, we replaced the Ozone depleting CFCs with HFCs in refrigeration equipment the Ozone hole gradually healed itself, but HFCs, like CFCs, are inert gases that make good coolants in refrigeration systems and propellants in aerosols. But molecule for molecule, some HFCs are up to 10,000 times more potent than carbon dioxide as greenhouse gases, according to the UN Environment Programme (UNEP). So we've been adding potent greenhouse gases to the atmosphere for 30 years on a massive scale and are only now starting to do something about it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »
Global warming is a minefield, even the scientific experts cannot agree, last year I read an article on "experts say  diesel fuel better for the environment than petrol"      https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/22/the-rise-diesel-in-europe-impact-on-health-pollution    which the politicians jumped on, telling everyone "We are tackling Co2"  only to find out the result .....was a rise in deadly air pollution.

When looking into GW man made or natural, scientific research info, I thought I recognised an (unusual) name from my childhood, turned out I was right, it had been over 50years since we last met, after catching up on the usual family and friends, I asked for more info on G.W. for the layman .......he pointed me towards various links etc. well after six months of correspondence, I am still confused but have decided that natural or not, it cannot be good to keep polluting the atmosphere, so will continue to reduce my carbon footprint as much as possible, I also passed the buck to my friend,.... science needs to over ride politics. ....