Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 198583 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
The Great British Weather Debate
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:43:26 pm »
Tonight the Met office has issued Flash warnings for the entire North Wales Area, but how much of this will we see?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:52:22 pm »
we have warnings of ice most days but rarely in Penrhyn Bay, inland no doubt it is, seems ever since 'the big storm' of 1987 and the Michael Fish incident they predict doom and gloom and sometimes they are right  L0L

BBC weather blooper by Michael Fish storm of 1987
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:55:56 pm by Merddin Emrys »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:24:30 am »
Problems are more over Bangor way this morning, with heavy snow from Conwy area onwards. I don't believe any buses are running at present to/from Bangor as a lorry has jackknifed on the A55.

Colwyn Bay/Llandudno area is better, main roads/bus routes are mostly clear but side roads are ropey.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:38 am »
Ouch-- for ropey read slippy !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: black gate
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:54:38 am »
Black Gate on the Orme is in complete chaos this morning after nothing more than a faint sprinkling of snow. One car went down the hill go to the Junction did a 180 degree turn and is now positioned with it's rear wheels off the ground and half way up the traffic lights. The ambulance came to treat the driver and is now stuck on the junction with nowhere to go until it thaws. I've tried to use what little grit was left in the grit box but to no avail. I rang the police to report the accident and they appeared very quickly. There's now a gritter on the way but it can't get up the hill.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: black gate
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:36:12 am »
There's now a gritter on the way but it can't get up the hill.
Outstanding!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:54 am »
The gritter finally got up the hill and things are moving again. The car is currently being recovered from the traffic lights and the council highways deparment are on scene trying to get the traffic light post back to the vertical position again. Thankfully the lady who was driving the spinning car has no serious injuries.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:07:29 am »
Why would anyone try to drive down that hill in these weather conditions?!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 10:13:24 am »
The big test will be next time there is snow forecast. Will the lesson have been learned that it costs less to grit the road in the first place rather than having to get people up here to recover from the chaos after the event.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:14:39 am »
CCBC have only 8 days supply of Grit left, and that is reserved for major roads in the County.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 10:22:18 am »
today during and after

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 10:30:12 am »
Good photos, the road has cleared a lot.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 12:54:48 pm »
Nice story and good photos Medz.  If I was you I'd stay put in the warmth and have a coffee while looking at the fantastic view of the Bay that you've got.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 01:06:57 pm »
Just been on the phone to my friend in Llandegfan Anglesey and it's snowing heavily at the moment and there is about seven inches of snow in his street.  According to BBC North West Wales Anglesey and the Bangor area have been worst affected with up to twelve inches of snow in parts.
We've been lucky and escaped with just a small amount of snow and I've just finished clearing the drive of snow again.  Heard that it was bad in Conwy too, perhaps the Conwy people will let us know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 02:32:16 pm »
It's snowing up here again and sticking on the drive but I'm not going to clear the snow again as it looks like there is more to come.
 :rage: