Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 843584 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #3150 on: February 25, 2017, 12:39:02 am »
It was still full of water up to 2000, when it had to be drained because it started to leaking. The water was pumped out and allowed to run down Hill Terrace.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3151 on: February 26, 2017, 11:49:10 am »
The present structure was built in 1879 to accommodate the new water supply from Dulyn.  A previous, smaller reservoir on the same site had been built in the 1850s and was fed from St Tudno's reservoir below the Church. The capacity of the current reservoir was just over 900,000 gallons but it was probably not used other than as a stand-by after the Great War.  I heard it was still kept charged during WW2 in case water was needed for fire-fighting.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3152 on: March 03, 2017, 03:13:37 pm »
A bit of trumpet blowing....but where?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3153 on: March 03, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »
I can't see the lamp or trumpet on Google but it does look like a house in Church Walks.     If you go up the lane from Abbey Road to St Georges old school and turn left then it looks like the white building which is the second building on the left.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3154 on: March 03, 2017, 06:29:32 pm »
Well done Hugo, that didn't last long. ! Seems an odd thing to put on an outside lamp.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3155 on: March 03, 2017, 06:35:14 pm »
Another oddity ! Where and what is it and why? Think you will probably have seen this as well Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3156 on: March 04, 2017, 08:25:09 am »
Another good one Nemesis but this one has got me stumped but I'm thinking about it.       ?{}?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3157 on: March 04, 2017, 08:49:50 am »
Have a think Hugo, if nothing comes of it I will give you another clue !

Offline hollins

« Reply #3158 on: March 04, 2017, 09:12:19 am »
Is it in the wall near the Haulfre Gardens cafe?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3159 on: March 04, 2017, 12:15:17 pm »
It's a toughie for me and I've still no idea where that metal letterbox looking object is or what it was for.  I've copied something I've read about the original owners of Haulfre but still don't know what "The Loovre"  means on the metal object.  Is it near the toilets there?     ;D

He (Lord Aberconwy) much preferred short, sharp letters to the press, usually The Times. These urged London to plant
coniferous gingko biloba trees, criticised union behaviour at Ford, dilated on the problems of being a JP
and objected to the Parthenon Marbles being returned to Greece until the Louvre also yielded its
imported loot.
He is survived

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3160 on: March 04, 2017, 12:32:16 pm »
It's a toughie for me and I've still no idea where that metal letterbox looking object is or what it was for.  I've copied something I've read about the original owners of Haulfre but still don't know what "The Loovre"  means on the metal object.  Is it near the toilets there?     ;D
H. I have no idea where it is, possibly Hollins has it, but the object is a vent,  the bottom lettering....ventilation....gives the clue, I found this link during my search, a company that still makes them... http://www.castironairbricks.co.uk    the sight is quite interesting especially past clients

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3161 on: March 04, 2017, 01:38:28 pm »
Steve, you're a wizz kid on computers, I could read the Loovre but not what was underneath it.

Perhaps Hollins is correct then, but could my tongue in cheek remark of the toilets be the spot where the vent is?

Incidentally those toilets were in really good condition the last time I had to use them, a credit to whoever looks after them.    $good$

A loo with a view!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3162 on: March 04, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
Where's Nemesis with the answer for Hollins?     I bet Nemesis is having a lovely day out somewhere.      $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3163 on: March 04, 2017, 03:18:57 pm »
No Hugo, Nemesis has been dealing with a load of washing, taking the dog out and generally getting ready for the family to visit tomorrow. aggggh !

Now for the suggestions.............no it is not in the Haulfre Gardens. It is a vent ( by the lettering ) and Hugo you must have walked past it many times, you even mentioned its location earlier.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3164 on: March 04, 2017, 04:11:25 pm »
Now the only place I can think of is in School Lane going to Church Walks from Abbey Road but I can't see any building there apart from St Georges School.
It does look rather old so could it be a vent on the gable end of the school?

I couldn't see it on the West End Hill and I know that you don't go up the Haulfre Steps any longer so my guess is the school.