Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 839900 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #3045 on: September 18, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »
Have you anymore info please Hugo.....that's the first time I have heard about this reservoir...... $thanx$

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3046 on: September 18, 2016, 05:56:02 pm »
Hugo, is that the only door or is there another one close to the former putting green?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3047 on: September 18, 2016, 10:33:51 pm »
Bri,  I'm not sure if there is another door to the place but I do know that I won't be going down there on a rope!

Steve, it's an underground reservoir built in the 1860's I think and it is below the old putting green in Happy Valley ( near the Headlands Hotel)     I've enclose a link and look at page 1 first of all as it gives you an insight into what lies beneath the green.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwidlN7H7ZnPAhWnKMAKHUMlDpIQFggzMAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnorthwalesmtb.proboards.com%2Fthread%2F3466%2Fsecret-reservoir%3Fpage%3D2&usg=AFQjCNGCJPfaO73AVc7c5_GCriOMwTkU1A

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3048 on: September 19, 2016, 08:02:27 am »
Steve,  I've tried to find a date for the underground reservoir but can't.   I now think that it could be later than the 1860's but can't confirm it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3049 on: September 19, 2016, 08:44:56 am »
It basically means that a large area of the Great Orme, just beneath the cable car station is actually hollow!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3050 on: September 19, 2016, 09:36:40 am »
Bri,  I'm not sure if there is another door to the place but I do know that I won't be going down there on a rope!
There's another door just below the cable car station, besides the steps going down to the cafe.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3051 on: September 19, 2016, 08:49:48 pm »
The reservoir was built in 1879 on the site of an earlier reservoir built by the Llandudno Water & Gas Company in 1857.  It has a capacity of 956,000 gallons.

From what I can work out the original reservoir was fed from the open St Tudno's reservoir (below the church) and later from the pumping station in Water Street, but, from 1879 the new reservoir it was fed from the Dulyn supply. Water from Dulyn could reach a now demolished pumping station - which stood just above Black Gate - by gravity so the Fach Reservoir gradually became less important - particularly as many properties in the town now had storage in their attics and its draw-off water level was about the same as most properties' higher floors. In World War 2 it was kept full of water as a reserve in case of fire caused by enemy action and was used as a standby until the late 1960s.  The structure was transferred from Welsh Water to Conwy CBC some years ago.

I am not sure what people mean by the other door.  There is a small building with a door between the Fach Reservoir and the site of the amphitheatre.  This was a small reservoir or tank but it was supplied from St Tudno reservoir and was used exclusively by Llandudno UDC gardens department.  If anyone is familiar with the tank at the junction of Bryn Pydew Road and lane down to Ffolt they may see a similarity in design.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3052 on: September 19, 2016, 10:36:06 pm »
Thanks Cambrian for all that interesting information,  I had tried to get info on the place but couldn't trace anything at all.  You must have the magic touch.     $good$
That building that Dave mentioned is very similar to the one in Bryn Pydew Road,  I did take a photo of the one in Happy Valley, but must have deleted it because I can't find it now.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3053 on: October 02, 2016, 12:55:19 pm »
The property on this site was completely rebuilt in the 1870's and is now this lovely looking property.            $walesflag$

But what was it before and what was it called?       

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3054 on: October 02, 2016, 01:16:53 pm »
I must have missed this earlier, probably when I was away.

A friend actually went down ( on a rope) a year or two back with some friends. How grown men got through that manhole and back seemed miraculous. It was exactly as the pictures show and still intact.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3055 on: October 02, 2016, 01:23:50 pm »

A friend actually went down ( on a rope) a year or two back with some friends. How grown men got through that manhole and back seemed miraculous. It was exactly as the pictures show and still intact.

From what I've seen around town there are a lot of men and boys too that couldn't fit down that manhole.   Did you see the report on the Snowdon Railway about too many fat people on board the train, so they had to refuse admission to passengers who had already bought their tickets?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3056 on: October 02, 2016, 02:36:18 pm »
Just to restore this question as there have been no guesses yet.    It could be easy if you know it or a real stinker if you don't

The property on this site was on a main road and was completely rebuilt in the 1870's and is now this lovely looking property.            $walesflag$

But what was it before and what was it called?     

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3057 on: October 02, 2016, 02:47:02 pm »
Eryl Fryn Lodge on Bodafon Road ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3058 on: October 02, 2016, 02:52:21 pm »
A good guess Cambrian and I can see why you thought that, but it's not correct

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3059 on: October 02, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »

From what I've seen around town there are a lot of men and boys too that couldn't fit down that manhole.   Did you see the report on the Snowdon Railway about too many fat people on board the train, so they had to refuse admission to passengers who had already bought their tickets?

Yes I saw the article Hugo and also heard the discussion on the radio with Jeremy Vine. Some daft idiots suggested making the train bigger. !!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.