Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 824935 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #2955 on: March 21, 2016, 12:47:19 pm »
That was interesting Dave, thanks for posting that photo of the building and that weathervane.  That's a nice touch by the builder to retain that feature on the estate.
On the far left at the top of the old building is another feature and it looks similar to another object on that housing estate.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2956 on: March 21, 2016, 02:27:56 pm »
Another very easy one,     where would you see this lamp?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2957 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:53 pm »
Another photo and they are not icicles hanging down

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2958 on: March 21, 2016, 09:10:51 pm »
Somewhere underneath a railway?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2959 on: March 21, 2016, 10:12:00 pm »
Not underneath a railway Nemesis but you're on the right track because it's very near one.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2960 on: March 21, 2016, 10:46:50 pm »
Could the lamp in the photo be original?    Perhaps not.      ???

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2961 on: March 22, 2016, 07:53:46 am »
It's also near a main road as well as near railway lines so where could it be?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2962 on: March 22, 2016, 08:51:24 am »
I'm surprised that the question is still here, it's like waiting for those lights to change!              ^*^0

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2963 on: March 22, 2016, 09:07:11 am »
               I've joined the search for this only this morning, and going by your latest clues I reckon  that it's on the Conwy end of the Telfords Suspenion Bridge as you were walking over it recently.
                                                                                                                                        $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2964 on: March 22, 2016, 09:23:12 am »
You've done it again Gwynant, well done.         &well&

The lamps are at both ends of the suspension bridge and we were able to walk across the bridge recently.    It was built in 1826 and the stone is limestone.  There were loads of stalactites under the arches.
I don't know if you can remember the traffic lights on the bridge, they had them in place as the bridge was for single file traffic and then later when they built the new road bridge,  the suspension bridge became redundant.
The Council wanted to demolish the suspension bridge but a referendum was carried out and the people of Conwy opted to keep the bridge.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2965 on: March 22, 2016, 11:15:27 am »
                I can indeed remember the traffic lights for the single file system over the Telford Bridge, Hugo. I think that there was a 6d (2.5p) per car toll as well! I can remember queuing from the Penmaenbach tunnels and beyond,(if you had'nt gone over the Sychnant Pass to dodge the traffic, but then you had to come up through Gyffin to join the queue) and when you had finally got over the bridge you had to hope that your luck was in with the level crossings by the old "Maelgwyn" pub in Junction. There was considerably less traffic in those days though, imagine the chaos now!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2966 on: March 22, 2016, 11:51:54 am »
I too remember the old bridge with it's traffic lights. We were many times stuck there panicking that we wouldn't get back to our B&B in time for the evening meal !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2967 on: March 23, 2016, 12:56:37 am »
Typical council behaviour... Lets demolish something that's been replaced, no matter how beautiful, how historical or how important it is to the community that pays their wages!!!
Shades of Colwyn Bay Pier come to mind...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2968 on: March 23, 2016, 07:59:23 am »
It was unbelievable that Conwy Council should even have considered demolishing that suspension bridge and yet the same council allowed that ugly flat concrete cap to be placed on top of an important building in the town

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2969 on: March 23, 2016, 09:05:53 am »
It was unbelievable that Conwy Council should even have considered demolishing that suspension bridge and yet the same council allowed that ugly flat concrete cap to be placed on top of an important building in the town
I see that CCBC are currently inviting offers to purchase the Civic Hall; let's hope they insist upon a more sympathetic roof design being installed in any redevelopment.