Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 843601 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #2175 on: January 22, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »
Best out of three then Mike.     ;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2176 on: February 03, 2013, 10:48:17 am »
OK Mike where is Vining Street?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2177 on: February 03, 2013, 03:01:41 pm »
I know this one, but my lips are sealed! ;-)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2178 on: February 03, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
Thanks Dave,  I bet Mike's  looking through the street indexes and Yorkie's Googling like mad!       D)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2179 on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
Thanks Dave,  I bet Mike's  looking through the street indexes and Yorkie's Googling like mad!       D)
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2180 on: February 03, 2013, 05:21:28 pm »
Just for fun and not to spoil Mike's fun. I've tried to find the answer but the nearest Vining St.  I can find is some 40 miles away!  I'm now eager to hear what the answer is.
I did find one Irving Road, which was between Venue Cymru and the Yacht Club but that was the closest I got!    :(
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2181 on: February 03, 2013, 06:09:32 pm »
Sorry Hugo but street indexes No. If I go into a quiz anywhere, and thats not very often, I answer from inside my memory. And definitely not google.
  Everybody is different, but I just don't see the point in just searching for an answer.
  I did too much of that in my old job in a Bank.         Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2182 on: February 03, 2013, 07:05:05 pm »
Sorry Hugo but street indexes No. If I go into a quiz anywhere, and thats not very often, I answer from inside my memory. And definitely not google.
  Everybody is different, but I just don't see the point in just searching for an answer.
  I did too much of that in my old job in a Bank.         Mike

I've said it b4 and I'll say it again - if you don't know the answer there can be a lot of knowledge gained and a lot of fun searching, either on't Internet or with books etc.    This time it didn't help but I had a great time exploring the area for the answer.   :D
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2183 on: February 03, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »
Don't say that I've got you two stumped     $hands$
Yorkie, it's less than 5 miles away in any direction and Mike you must have driven past many times but mustn't have seen the sign.

By the way I checked the street indexes and Google before posting it!     8)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2184 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:20 pm »
                    Hugo, now you have said that the Vining Street we are looking for is within 5 miles of here this info is entirely irrelevant but quite interesting. While I was looking on Google maps for clues I came across a Vining St. in Liverpool 8 (which is 55.3 miles from here!).  But then I noticed  that at the end of that street there is a block of streets with names that you would not expect to see there. Apparently the houses in them were built by Welsh folk in the 1880's and the streets are called Voelas St, Rhiwlas St, Powys St, Kinmel St, Pengwern St, Treborth St, Dovey St, Teilo St, Elwy St, and lastly Madryn St, (where Ringo Starr was born and lived till he was 4 years old). Having said all that I have no idea where the local Vining Street is!
                                                                                   $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2185 on: February 04, 2013, 10:15:54 am »
It's difficult Gwynant and although I've been past it many times it was only recently that I noticed it.
It's in the 3 Towns triangle but not in the 3 Towns and is on a minor road within half a mile of top of the bridge.     $walesflag$
There's a few clues there and you must have gone past Vining Street a number of times.

Yorkie,  I'm sorry but it is on Google because I looked at the sign today.  It's only easy if you know it!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2186 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:59 pm »
.It's in the 3 Towns triangle but not in the 3 Towns and is on a minor road within half a mile of top of the bridge.     $walesflag$

Yorkie, I was hoping to make it easier for you by translating the clue into English but perhaps I should have stuck with its more familiar Welsh name. Best get out your Welsh - English dictionary.     $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2187 on: February 04, 2013, 05:17:47 pm »
.It's in the 3 Towns triangle but not in the 3 Towns and is on a minor road within half a mile of top of the bridge.     $walesflag$

Yorkie, I was hoping to make it easier for you by translating the clue into English
but perhaps I should have stuck with its more familiar Welsh name. Best get out your Welsh - English dictionary.     $walesflag$

Actually, Hugo, you have done me proud, you have successfully translated the clue into Double Dutch!  I haven't a clue where it is and have actually given up trying to find it!   :D
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2188 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:55 pm »
.It's in the 3 Towns triangle but not in the 3 Towns and is on a minor road within half a mile of Pen Y Bont      $walesflag$

It's bilingual now, does that help?    and Vining Street is visible on Google Street view.   $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2189 on: February 04, 2013, 05:36:34 pm »
They seem to be struggling a bit with this one, Hugo?  ;)  :twoface: