Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 825318 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2010, 05:26:48 pm »
No this one!

The WILLIAM AND HENRY was a 35nt wooden schooner built in 1839 and registered at Dublin. At time of loss on 8 January 1908, the vessel was owned by S E Pim & Co of Wicklow and under the command of T Doyle. The schooner was carrying a cargo fo salt and had sought the shelter of the anchorage in Llandudno Bay, It was caught by a north-northwesterly force 9 gale and blown ashore.
It's the correct boat but it doesn't give the reason why it would cause a big problem! That reason was that it collided with the Pierhead and demolished several piles. Everyone was worried that it would completely demolish the end of the pier but, fortunately, it then actually passed under the Pier without causing any further damage as it was blown ashore.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2010, 06:12:20 pm »
 :o :o :o  Brilliant question Dave.... BUT... I fear it might happen again!

You see that large vessel The Galatea is moored just off the Pier head tonight .... and those gales might make history repeat itself !!

SPOOOOKY !!

:o :o :o
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2010, 06:32:25 pm »
No this one!

The WILLIAM AND HENRY was a 35nt wooden schooner built in 1839 and registered at Dublin. At time of loss on 8 January 1908, the vessel was owned by S E Pim & Co of Wicklow and under the command of T Doyle. The schooner was carrying a cargo fo salt and had sought the shelter of the anchorage in Llandudno Bay, It was caught by a north-northwesterly force 9 gale and blown ashore.
It's the correct boat but it doesn't give the reason why it would cause a big problem! That reason was that it collided with the Pierhead and demolished several piles. Everyone was worried that it would completely demolish the end of the pier but, fortunately, it then actually passed under the Pier without causing any further damage as it was blown ashore.

I surmised that the reason was just that it was blown ashore.  Of course, I should have completed the story with the collision with the pierhead.  Unfortunately I was oblivious to the complete requirement of the question, and presumed my rendering of the event would be sufficient.  C'est la vie!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2010, 03:37:34 am »
Trinity Church ?

No it's in St Tudno's.

Yorkie

« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2010, 07:40:14 am »
As I have said before , and will probably say again, you're just brill at these quizzes!      D)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2010, 08:52:44 am »
:o :o :o  Brilliant question Dave.... BUT... I fear it might happen again!

You see that large vessel The Galatea is moored just off the Pier head tonight .... and those gales might make history repeat itself !!

SPOOOOKY !!

:o :o :o

I presume it is surveying for the next windfarm and if so, it very close.

I understand there will be 160 turbines in front of the present 25.  ))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: October 30, 2010, 09:21:24 am »
I'm sure someone said it's working for Trinity House, Bri, renewing buoys and suchlike?

Gwynt Y Mor is 10 miles offshore, behind the Rhyl Flats windfarm:
http://www.4coffshore.com/windfarms/gwynt-y-mor-united-kingdom-uk09.html

Yorkie

« Reply #352 on: October 30, 2010, 10:34:35 am »
OK - So lets try something a little more difficult:   Where is this smart dining room?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #353 on: October 30, 2010, 11:00:56 am »
I'm sure someone said it's working for Trinity House, Bri, renewing buoys and suchlike?

That is what I was told
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Jack

« Reply #354 on: October 30, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »
OK - So lets try something a little more difficult:   Where is this smart dining room?

Is it Escape - the boutique B & B?

Yorkie

« Reply #355 on: October 30, 2010, 06:34:45 pm »
That didn't last long!   Quite right.  I'll have to find something really remote to fox you lot!    ΒΆΒΆ##

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: October 30, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »
Where's this in Llandudno?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2010, 07:03:12 pm »
I know that I've seen that quite often... on The Gt Orme..
Specifically though, not too sure ... could it be in the same field as The Cromlech?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2010, 07:21:00 pm »
Its in a patch of land near a tree, a dry stone wall and a five bar gate!    Do I win the prize?   L0L  _))*  $uk

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2010, 08:00:10 pm »
It's certainly on the Great Orme but not by the Cromlech.....

Yorkie's correct apart from the small matter of where it actually is.   :D :P