Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 826123 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #1515 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:49 am »
  I have only just read the question put by Yorkie last August about the riding stables in Rhos.   Also, about ten days later, DaveR admits defeat, and you dont see that very often.

I wonder if I can better that, and maybe, just maybe, stump Yorkie as well.

At one time there were TWO riding schools in Rhos running at the same time  (three if you count that Alf Davies was in two sites, behind the shops up Rhos Road and behind the present day Fortes).   Where was the second one and what was it called?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1516 on: October 07, 2011, 03:20:34 pm »
Well Mike, being as I wasn't around this area all those years ago I will have to pass on this one - that is until I have done a bit of detective work, which I hope may produce a result.      WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1517 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:31 pm »
Could it have been

Tynllwyn Farm in Bryn-y-Maen?  or:
Aberconwy Equestrian Centre in Llangwstenin?
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1518 on: October 07, 2011, 05:15:07 pm »
  No --- it was well and truly within the Rhos on Sea boundaries.    If you would like a clue, the stables was called after a famous horse racing author.  The only snag to this clue is the famous racing author had'nt even been heard of at that time.   

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1519 on: October 07, 2011, 05:16:12 pm »
Well you're not going to catch me on this one!!!    L0L

The answer is Francis's Riding School on the way to Bryn Euryn in Rhos Road.   
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1520 on: October 07, 2011, 05:19:22 pm »
Just as a matter of interest my Daughter works for Merrick Francis who is Dick's Son.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1521 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:03 pm »
   Absolutely spot on.  If I hadnt given you the clue Francis and the thousands to one chance that your daughter should happen to work for someone in the same line of business with the same name, would you still have come up with the answer?
  Did you phone her and ask "Know any stables from years ago who went under the Francis name?"  If so, it was an incredibly long shot seeing as it was years and years before Dick Francis became a household name.
  However, congratulations.  I thought Welshmaid was the only forum member who would have come up with the answer but I havent read any posts from her for a long time. Welshmaid, where are you and how are you?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1522 on: October 07, 2011, 06:36:32 pm »
   Absolutely spot on.  If I hadnt given you the clue Francis and the thousands to one chance that your daughter should happen to work for someone in the same line of business with the same name, would you still have come up with the answer?

Actually if you look at the time of your clue and my answer there is only 10 minutes, and when I'd typed my answer and went to post it I got the message that someone had posted between times so did I still want to do so.  As I knew I had the right answer I just hit the post key!

I couldn't answer earlier as I was waiting to pick up my wife from work.    Forgot to mention she is a Rhos girl and knew the answer!

My Daughter wouldn't know as she was born in England and has not lived at home since she went to Glynllifon College to do Horse Management some 20 odd years ago!  She drives the horsebox on the left that will take up to 11 animals.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1523 on: October 07, 2011, 06:53:57 pm »
 Yes, I know Mrs Yorkie is a Rhos girl because you once asked me (probably by a personal message) if I knew anyone of a certain name, your Wifes maiden name and in our messages all was revealed.

What puzzled me was why you did'nt  ask in your original question the names and locations of the THREE riding school centres. Just imagine DaveR then. It took him 10 days to admit to not knowing one!!! Never mind not knowing any of three.

Only having a laugh, Dave. It was all before your time, kiddie

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1524 on: October 07, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »
Here is an easy one for you.

What building was previously on the site where Fortes in Rhos-on-Sea is now?
Cicero

Offline Welshmaid

« Reply #1525 on: October 07, 2011, 09:07:03 pm »
Well Mr. Ormegolf, I am still here!!  I thought you would remember Francis' riding stables (where Hanover Court is now) on Rhos Road, considering your sister spent a great deal of her childhood there!!   How about some other old news about Rhos, Mr. Ormegolf.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #1526 on: October 08, 2011, 10:43:20 am »
I look forward to seeing that too - come on Ormegolf!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1527 on: October 08, 2011, 03:24:02 pm »
  To go back to Yorkies question about Fortes site. I dont recall any building there. It was one of the many plots of land owned (or just occupied) by Mr Jonnie Pye of Pyes coaches and used as a parking spot for his best coaches and probably a bit of a shed to sell the tours and take the cash. Just a few of the others was the main garage on the left in Penrhyn Avenue, on the corner of Bay View Road and Greenfield Road, Colwyn Bay. Main "selling" point where the car park now is in Princes Drive, C.B. On the left hand side just before the bottom of the hill in Old Colwyn (also used by Hancocks), around back Madoc Street in Llandudno (for a short time). He never got a foothold in Llandudno---Reds,Creams and Bithells Blue managed to see him off.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1528 on: October 08, 2011, 03:27:49 pm »
   Just remembered another one --- I told you there were several.  Going towards Eirias Park along Abergele Road, on the left on a corner of one of the roads after Greenfield Road.  Probably just past the two present chippies.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1529 on: October 08, 2011, 03:29:48 pm »
It was Pye's Promenade Garage before Fortes bought the site.