Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 826350 times)

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #3360 on: March 26, 2020, 03:31:12 pm »
The view above Mochdre

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3361 on: March 26, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »
Well done Spotty Dog, that's spot on           $good$

First time I've been there in the 35 years I have lived in that area

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #3362 on: March 26, 2020, 06:23:53 pm »
Thank you Hugo
I wondered what program or app you use to resize your photos
I was going to ask Ian when my laptop upgraded to Windows 10i lost all my programs.
Have taken to useing Samsung tablet, any help out there 😆

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3363 on: March 26, 2020, 07:09:47 pm »
I'm the  wrong person to ask when it comes to anything IT but I can tell you that I use Picasa 3 but I understand that that system is not compatible to Windows 10 but my IT engineer gets around that somehow.
I was on Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 without my permission and ever since then I have had nothing but trouble when Windows 10 upgrades and it always affects my photos.
Since I lost every photo some time ago I now back up on a regular basis so it doesn't happen again

Nemesis and Gwynant had Windows 7 and were upgraded and had no end of problems with Windows 10 and I am not sure how the system is working for them now

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #3364 on: March 26, 2020, 07:31:31 pm »
Hugo that's why I've been using my Samsung tablet I've looked at apps for it but not sure which one to install.
My laptop is on the shelf out of reach in case I throw it through the window
I hope all is well with you is it time for a puppy for company on your walks.keeo safe all

Offline DVT

« Reply #3365 on: March 26, 2020, 08:40:29 pm »
I am on Windows 10 and double-clicking on a photo, in the directory, opens it in Photos and allows me to crop the picture and re-save or save as a new file.

Or Open in Paint and I can resize it to the requuired number of pixels - usually 1500 wide, then save or save as a new file.

I have to admit that loading programmes and so forth totally baffles me - just been loading a programne called Zoom so that we can do video-links with our daughter and family - don't know yet if it will work!

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #3366 on: March 26, 2020, 08:57:07 pm »
Thank you for that information DVT , will give it a go

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3367 on: March 26, 2020, 08:57:36 pm »

Nemesis and Gwynant had Windows 7 and were upgraded and had no end of problems with Windows 10 and I am not sure how the system is working for them now

Every time Windows tried to upgrade us we got rid, same for Google chrome. As we are, we struggle on, but at least the system is usable, be it somewhat slow and old fashioned.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3368 on: March 27, 2020, 10:27:04 am »

Every time Windows tried to upgrade us we got rid, same for Google chrome. As we are, we struggle on, but at least the system is usable, be it somewhat slow and old fashioned.

Like Spotty dog my laptop is now gathering dust as it has never recovered from being upgraded (unrequested) four years ago when I also lost all my photos and I now battle on with a little Acer tablet for very basic use (e-mails, info etc), which is why I don't post photos anymore.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #3369 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:39 pm »
That's me Gwynant I'm sure there are apps to resize but all the one's I have seen. Do far more than I want and take up too much memory
I need to fix this to get my own back on Hugo with his excellent Quizzes
Keep safe everyone

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3370 on: March 27, 2020, 12:56:40 pm »
Another easy one for this afternoon.        Where do these gates lead to?        $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3371 on: March 27, 2020, 06:18:19 pm »
Bryn Cadno can't be that far away      ???

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #3372 on: March 27, 2020, 09:37:27 pm »
Is it Fox Hill Nant y Glyn Valley Colwyn Bay

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3373 on: March 27, 2020, 10:04:12 pm »
Well done Robbie it is the Fox Hill in Nant Y Glyn Valley          $good$

Bryn =  Hill
Cadno =  Fox        $walesflag$

I don't know anything about the place but assume that it was a big estate at one time

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3374 on: March 28, 2020, 08:52:33 am »
Good morning Hugo

Info on this is a bit sketchy but it seems to be one of those large houses built in the Colwyn Bay area (and the Conwy Valley) in late Victorian and Edwardian days.  There  is a farm of sorts just to the south called "Gwern Tyno" (probably translates as Alder Dale).  My guess is the farmstead was bought as one lot and the new house simply called the same as the farm.  The name "Fox Hill" is probably an inter-war change.  I think a Major Davies owned the farm in the 1960s and 70s.