Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 825559 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #3195 on: December 30, 2017, 03:23:56 pm »
Zoom in DVT     I would need a microscope to see that, so I can't comment on it       :o      There were pockets of Caernarfonshire in Denbighshire such as Maenan, Eirias,  Penmaen and Llysfaen but I've not heard of Rhos Fynach being in such a pocket.

The Parish of Llandrillo Yn Rhos on the north west of Denbighshire abutted Caernarfonshire but you already know that so what is the answer to the two questions?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3196 on: December 30, 2017, 04:41:17 pm »
Perhaps the Afon Ganol can help?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3197 on: December 30, 2017, 10:58:41 pm »
Even though the original Afon Ganol is now just a meandering waterway and ditch, in part diverted and culverted, it still retains the distinction of forming the boundary between the county of Caernarvonshire, created by Edward I at the
Statute of Rhuddan in 1284 and the neighbouring lordship of Denbigh,

Now back to the point of the original question,  was Rhos Fynach in Caernarfonshire or was it in Denbighshire?      Also the reason why you think that it was in that county

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3198 on: December 31, 2017, 08:53:02 am »
This is a fact so I hope that it makes the answer easier.

The Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 meant that the Afon Ganol was the boundary between Denbighshire and Caernarvonshire.
On the eastern side of the river was Denbighshire and the Parish of Llandrillo Yn Rhos and on the western side of the river was Caernarfonshire.

The nearest pocket of Caernarfonshire in Denbighshire to the Afon Ganol was in Eirias so it's not a trick question.

So was Rhos Fynach in Caernarfonshire or Denbighshire and why?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3199 on: December 31, 2017, 03:57:55 pm »
No guesses?        it must be harder than I thought,  although there is a fifty fifty chance of guessing correctly and I've already explained about the Afon Ganol being the boundary between the two counties.

If no one has guessed correctly then I'll be giving the answer next year.     ;D

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3200 on: December 31, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »
Zoom in DVT     I would need a microscope to see that, so I can't comment on it       :o      There were pockets of Caernarfonshire in Denbighshire such as Maenan, Eirias,  Penmaen and Llysfaen but I've not heard of Rhos Fynach being in such a pocket.

The Parish of Llandrillo Yn Rhos on the north west of Denbighshire abutted Caernarfonshire but you already know that so what is the answer to the two questions?

This is a zoom in of the image, I think it answers the question.

Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3201 on: December 31, 2017, 04:55:38 pm »
Thanks SDQ you are spot on so well done and well done DVT .      $good$      $good$

After seeing that nice photo of Rhos Fynach  I read Norman Tucker's book "Colwyn Bay its origin and growth"  and it explained why Rhos Fynach was in Caernarfonshire.
A branch of the Afon Ganol entered the sea opposite the end of Penrhyn Ave and the Llandrillo Yn Rhos boundary was across the river in Denbighshire and was near the bottom of the present day Rhos Road.
A map of 1763 in Norman Tucker's book shows the land where the golf club is now and the land north of Penrhyn Avenue as being Penrhyn Marsh and estate.
Since those days the boundary between the two counties moved further west until it came to the Afon Ganol that divides Rhos on Sea Golf Course

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3202 on: December 31, 2017, 06:17:34 pm »
SDQ,  I've only just noticed the Rising Gull Cottage in the bottom right hand corner of your photo.    This wasn't included in the 1763 map in Norman Tucker's book but he did make a comment about it.
Apparently it was near the foot of Rhos Road and was a thatched cottage like a lodge at  the entrance to the lane to Rhos Fynach.
It achieved some notoriety because part was in Denbighshire and part in Caernarfonshire

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3203 on: January 31, 2018, 05:57:50 pm »
Where can you see this and what is it? 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3204 on: January 31, 2018, 06:30:52 pm »
Something at the back of my mind.....Gwydir Uchaf Chapel?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3205 on: January 31, 2018, 08:21:19 pm »
A good guess Nemesis but it's not Gwydir Uchaf Chapel

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3206 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:13 am »
Time for another photo but where is it and what is it that you can see in the Three Towns area?

Offline Jack

« Reply #3207 on: February 01, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
Is it the memorial below the Little Orme to the boy, whose name I can't remember, who fell to his death in Victorian times?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3208 on: February 01, 2018, 11:01:53 am »
It is Jack but there's just one point for locating the place and I need the name for the other point.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3209 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:18 pm »
Jack,  I've had a change of heart and I'm going to give you that one as you've got the hardest part correct.      The name is easy to find using Google so well done     &well&

I went to see it yesterday and there was only a small window of opportunity to find it and take photos because of the tide and darkness.   I did it by myself but after having done it once I think that it would be advisable to have someone else with me next time.   

I've copied part of an article by Tom Parry and it was thanks to Tom and the advice he gave me that I was able to find the Memorial of Hubert Stone:-The jury returned verdict of ‘Accidental Death’, and expressed their sympathy with the parents. They added a rider that they found no fault with the Police. In memory of his son, and as a warning to others, Frederick Stone arranged to construct a memorial to the boy at the foot of the cliff where the body was discovered. Undoubtedly the construction would have presented many difficulties and by now no details of the work are to be had. How were the materials conveyed to the site? It could only be achieved at the lowest time of a ‘big tide’ and then only for about an hour before the beach was flooded again. Because of the rocky nature of the beach the use of a boat would only have been possible on completely calm days. It would be interesting to know how these problems were addressed and overcome, and how long the whole operation took to complete. A stone cross was laid flat supported on a plinth of rounded stones a little above the mark of the highest tides. This part of the beach has been subject to a great deal of erosion over the years and is probably flooded even more frequently now than it was then. Visiting the memorial is certainly a risky business and the time to do so safely is very limited. Over the years many have mistimed the operation and have been obliged to wade or swim back or to scramble up the cliff and wait for the next low tide, almost twelve hours later.