Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 825943 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #3585 on: November 28, 2020, 09:01:55 am »
The old stadium at Craigside was used by Hotpoint during the 1970's to build vacuum cleaners (don't call them Hoovers!).  I worked in Design Change Contriol at that time and my job was to co-ordinate parts for use on the pre-production runs.  Started off with conventional upright cleaners, then introduced cylinder versions but they were not very successful.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3586 on: November 28, 2020, 11:29:16 am »
Nemesis - yes, your memory is right.  The covered tennis court became the New Stadium and was converted to an ice rink.  In the 1950s Holiday on Ice (Great Britain) Ltd staged ice shows produced by Gerald Palmer. The shows were things like "Ice Fantasia" and "Carnival on Ice" with casts of internationally-known skaters. As with most things public interest gradually waned and the building was leased to Hotpoint as DVT takes up the story.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3587 on: November 28, 2020, 12:31:01 pm »
Cambrian, have you any idea where this building once was?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KIAAAOSwD7leDbTe/s-l1600.jpg

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3588 on: November 28, 2020, 01:38:56 pm »
Nemesis - yes, your memory is right.  The covered tennis court became the New Stadium and was converted to an ice rink.  In the 1950s Holiday on Ice (Great Britain) Ltd staged ice shows produced by Gerald Palmer. The shows were things like "Ice Fantasia" and "Carnival on Ice" with casts of internationally-known skaters. As with most things public interest gradually waned and the building was leased to Hotpoint as DVT takes up the story.

Glad my memory wasn't playing tricks!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3589 on: November 28, 2020, 04:23:21 pm »
Does this help at all?    It was an advert in the Llandudno Advertiser on the 22nd August 1908.     

If no one can get the answer the 1911 Street Index in the Conwy Archives might be able to help

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3590 on: November 28, 2020, 07:01:43 pm »
Thank you, Hugo.

I think number 1 Mostyn Street is now Starbucks

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #3591 on: November 28, 2020, 07:03:37 pm »
Well spotted Hugo.

I think the clue is in Ind Coope.  The building at the junction of Riviere's Avenue and Clarence Road in Craig y Don was, as you and Brian refer, better known as a bottling stores for Ind Coope. I don't think ale was ever actually brewed there. The building has now gone and unfortunately it is not possible to compare the photo with the actual but the balance of probabilities suggests it is the place. Probably Ind Coop acquired the site, extended the facilities and moved from 1 Mostyn Street. I recall they had a retail outlet in Clarence Road which later moved to the Washington Hotel (along with their offices).

The only other "ice" place I can think of is the Llandudno Ice Company's premises in Builder Street.  That eventually became the Welsh Coast Ice Cream Company - older readers may recall "HiHat" ices!

I expect the advent of freezers meant demand for commercially supplied "pure ice" ended.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3592 on: November 28, 2020, 08:26:34 pm »
Thank you for your contribution, Cambrian.

The name Lloyd and Trouncer comes to mind after Ind Coope moved to the Washington.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3593 on: November 29, 2020, 11:31:46 am »
I saw this planning application on the Conwy Archives online catalogue and it has drawings of the development on it so it might help with your search Bri

CMostyn Estate Plans/4/69
Teitl / Title   Proposed New Bottling Stores, Riviere Avenue, Craig-y-Don, Llandudno (Messrs. Ind Coope & Co.)
Ddisgrifiad / Description   Plans.
Plan No. 730
Dyddiad / Date   1903
Graddau / Extent   1 Item
Lefel / Level   Item

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3594 on: November 29, 2020, 11:59:19 am »
Just to put a spanner in the works, this turned up on the online catalogue.      The date is 1913 whereas the one advertised in the paper was 1908.
My money is still on the Craig Y Don address

CMostyn Estate Plans/1/510
Teitl / Title   Proposed Ice Factory in Builder Street Extension
Ddisgrifiad / Description   Block Plan. Section re Drainage.
Dyddiad / Date   1913
Graddau / Extent   1 Item
Lefel / Level   Item

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3595 on: December 01, 2020, 03:49:29 pm »
Just coming back to the Ice Factory,  I was looking at some old photos of Llandudno.    This one caught my eye and it's a photo of Queen's Road Craig Y Don, more so because the caption under the photo said Ice Factory   15 Queen's Road

The modern day building at 15 Queen's Road is Bernard's Art Gallery.   so I'm depending on you Bri to get the answer to this rather intriguing question

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #3596 on: December 02, 2020, 03:07:19 pm »
Just a note of caution.  There was a wholesale re-numbering of Queen's Road in the 1990s as the numbering in various sections was to put it mildly confusing.  Parts were consecutive others odds one side, other evens and some at the far end not numbered at all.  This affected where Benards is located.  In the 1922 Directory, 15 appears to be a house in the length between Curzon Road and Riviere's Avenue.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3597 on: December 02, 2020, 03:53:21 pm »
That's a valid point Cambrian and thanks for mentioning it.    I've just had another look at some old photos of Craig Y Don and noticed that they all have " Ice Factory" below the photos so that's possibly put paid to the theory about 15 Queens Road.

However I've contacted the Archives today and will visit there on Monday to have a look at the 1911 Street Index and that should help
These Street Indexes are very good and in the streets they even list the location of Post boxes in walls etc    I'm guessing now but the Queens road, Mostyn Ave and Riviere's  Avenue seem to be the favourite sites but we'll see on Monday

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3598 on: December 07, 2020, 06:08:17 pm »
I did go to the Archives today but even after looking at the 1911 Street Index I couldn't find the answer to Bri's question.    There was no mention of the Ice Factory in Queen's Road or Mostyn Avenue and Riviere's Avenue wasn't there until about 1927.
The Ind Coope Depot was there but was listed under Clarence Drive.

The Archivist could only find an ice factory in Builder Street so for now we haven't got the answer.     

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #3599 on: December 07, 2020, 06:48:21 pm »
Mystery solved!

The Llandudno Advertiser of 1st July 1904 carries an interesting, technical article:  "A new industry for Llandudno" which details the new premises designed by G A Humphreys (Mostyn Agent) for Ind Coope.  The building in Craig y Don is of "an imposing character". In brief: a bottling stores and ice factory. There's quite some detail about how the ice is produced and the process of washing bottles. 

The paper is viewable, free of charge, at Wales Newspapers Online.