Author Topic: Quiz Time!  (Read 843587 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time!
« Reply #3375 on: March 28, 2020, 11:24:50 am »
Thanks very much for all that info Cambrian, in it's day it must have been very impressive.     I went down a public footpath from Pen Y Bryn Road and it met up with a larger footpath that followed the contour of the steep woodland and ended up by those impressive gate posts
The sign on one of the gate posts had 3 addresses but the only one I can remember is Fox Hill Coach House.     There must be some connection with the Bryn Cadno Nature Reserve too and I believe that there is an underground reservoir there although I have never seen it

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3376 on: March 28, 2020, 06:29:47 pm »
Hugo,  If its the reservoir I think you may mean, it is due west of Fox Hill at the eastern side of the lane leading from Llanrwst Road to the head of the Glyn valley.  Known as Pant y Gloch reservoir, it holds about 450,000 gallons of water pumped up from the King's Road pumping station (you may recall this as an attractive stone built building at the edge of woods by King's Road Crossroads).  The reservoir as mainly underground and dates originally from 1905.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3377 on: March 29, 2020, 10:24:07 am »
Thanks Cambrian,  I have seen that building by the cross roads and wondered what it was for so now I know the answer.    It is Pant Y Gloch reservoir and I must have walked past it when I walked up Honeysuckle Lane this week.
A neighbour told me about it 35 years ago and mentioned a brass plaque by the reservoir and he had done a tracing of it but although I have been to Bryn Cadno with my dogs I have never tried to look for the reservoir or that plaque that I was told about
I would imagine that both the reservoir and the plaque are fenced off now though

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #3378 on: March 29, 2020, 12:52:00 pm »
Hugo, Fox Hill was the Y.H.A. at one time , I don't remember who lived there but the Davies`s lived at Bryn y Glyn ,  Mrs Davies was a doctor , I think they owned Gwern Tyno Farm ,there was certainly a bailiff running the farm . I have no idea who lives  there now

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3379 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:05 pm »
Thanks Robbie,  I noticed Gwern Tyno farm when we walked past it and it is quite a big farm.     I've just been reading a book by Norman Tucker about Colwyn Bay but I can't find any reference to Fox Hill.
There must be some history about the place because it covers a great area of mature deciduous woodland.     The present footpath from Pen Y Bryn Road follows the contour of the hill, but immediately below it in private grounds appears to be a proper track or tramway which makes the mystery deepen

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3380 on: March 30, 2020, 09:49:43 am »
I was reading Chris Draper's book on "Walks from Colwyn Bay"  yesterday and it described a walk up the Nant Y Glyn Valley.
In the book he had this to say
 " you reach the stone gateposts of Bryn Cadno.
Bryn Cadno, also known by it's Anglicised name of Foxhill served as a Youth Centre for many years.   The main building is a brick, terracotta  and half timbered creation of 1895 by Booth, Chadwick and Porter but is set a long way down the drive and cannot be seen from here, although you may have spotted it earlier from across the Valley"

I may have seen it previously as I had a walk in the Valley once before with my walking mates when we were on the other side of the Valley and on the other side of the stream.
What I can remember about that walk is that there were a few very impressive buildings high up on the steep slopes so Foxhill may have been one I had already seen although I wouldn't have recognised it

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3381 on: April 05, 2020, 01:36:42 pm »
A very easy one for Sunday afternoon.            Where exactly is this bridge?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3382 on: April 05, 2020, 03:52:54 pm »
Perhaps this photo may help?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3383 on: April 05, 2020, 10:46:48 pm »
Do these photos help to pin point the location?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3384 on: April 06, 2020, 12:48:00 am »
Bodnant Garden?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3385 on: April 06, 2020, 08:01:31 am »
A good try Bri but it's not Bodnant Gardens so where is it?

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3386 on: April 06, 2020, 08:52:52 am »
Pwllycrochan woods ?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3387 on: April 06, 2020, 09:51:46 am »
     Is it on the walk through the woods on the left hand side of the Nant-y-Glyn valley which comes out on the Bryn-y-Maen crossroads to Dolwen road?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3388 on: April 06, 2020, 09:59:54 am »
Is it on the path through the woods on the left side of Nant-yGlynn valley   which comes  out on the Bryn-y-Maen crossroads to Dolwen Road?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3389 on: April 06, 2020, 10:11:48 am »
Hi Gwynant,  hope that you are keeping well and still getting about on your bike or doing some exercise walks.     The woods are on the left of King's Drive above The Old Highway. the road the bus goes up to reach Colwyn Heights.
It's a long time since I went in the woods but with this lockdown I'm just walking near my home and doing short exercise walks so I'm taking advantage of it now in case it's a total lockdown in the near future