Author Topic: Suppefast and Fibre Broadband  (Read 10542 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Suppefast and Fibre Broadband
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:56:26 am »
Has anybody upgraded yet and if so, is it worth the extra monthly cost plus the £30 one-off charge?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Superfast Broadband
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 10:25:00 am »
I'm not sure that it's all actually live yet. There are still lots of BT vans around town installing the cabling etc. Enter your Post code in this site and see what it says:
http://www.superfast-cymru.com/where-and-when

I tried it and got:
The first homes and businesses in your exchange area have been connected to fibre broadband, however not all premises can go live at the same time and work will be continuing in your exchange area.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:29:58 am »
It is now available where we live in C-y-D.

I contacted them this morning and they offered me two options of 39 Mb/s or 79 Mb/s.

At present, I can receive a speed of up to 8 Mb/s.

This morning, I am only getting a speed of 4 Mb/s.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:38:23 am »
What sort of monthly charge were they asking for the improved download speeds?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:52:50 am »
In my case, more than double my current monthly charge for unlimited broadband with BT.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
Fibre broadband
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:58:30 pm »
I have just had my BT Infinity switched on and I've gone from 12.7Mbps download speed to 74.91Mbps so hopefully no more  :rage:  waiting for the Forum web pages to load when all four of us were trying to be online at the same time
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Fibre broadband
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »
I have just had my BT Infinity switched on and I've gone from 12.7Mbps download speed to 74.91Mbps so hopefully no more  :rage:  waiting for the Forum web pages to load when all four of us were trying to be online at the same time

They're currently installing it in my area but I can't find where my cabinet is to keep tabs on it. I barely get 1Mbps so I'm pretty desperate to actually get speeds that will let me actually use the services I'm already paying for but can't because of my pathetic broadband speed. I'll have to stop and ask one of the Openreach guys to see if they can give me an idea of what to expect. I just hope it's worth the wait!
Valar Morghulis

Offline alw

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:44:46 am »

They're currently installing it in my area but I can't find where my cabinet is to keep tabs on it. I barely get 1Mbps so I'm pretty desperate to actually get speeds that will let me actually use the services I'm already paying for but can't because of my pathetic broadband speed. I'll have to stop and ask one of the Openreach guys to see if they can give me an idea of what to expect. I just hope it's worth the wait!

This BT page will give you your Cabinet number and expected speeds.......   http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:50:13 pm »
Must confess it is all Double Dutch to me!     WWW   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »

This BT page will give you your Cabinet number and expected speeds.......   http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

I know my cabinet number, I can't physically find the actual cabinet. There are two telegraph poles serving my street & both send their wires underground so I can't track them to the cabinet.
Valar Morghulis

Offline alw

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 05:53:16 pm »

I know my cabinet number, I can't physically find the actual cabinet. There are two telegraph poles serving my street & both send their wires underground so I can't track them to the cabinet.

The number is painted in white on the DSL cabinet, just drive around your locality because unless you are in an area with few properties it can't be far away.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:43 pm »
On seeing post by Blongb I rang BT and asked for the price of an upgrade from my current 6 to 7 Mbps to a fibfre Inifinity connection. The advertised cost is £23 per month for Infinity 1 with 40mbps or Infinity 2 for £28 per month for 79Mbps. With the free BT sports and ESPN for the Baseball  worth £15 a month it sounds like a reasonable deal. I hesitated for a split second and they then brought Infinity 1 down to £10 per month for the first 6 months on an 18 month contract. That means I'm actually paying less for the first 6 months than I'm paying now and hopefully getting nearly six times the speed. The only significant downloading I do is the occasional Sky on Demand so hopefully the 40Mbps should be OK.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 10:04:32 pm »
As an exising BT telephone and broadband customer, I have been receiving BT Sport for free since it was launched.

However, when I enquired in January about an upgrade in my broadband speed I was not offered any special deal because I am tied into a contract with BT until June.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 12:56:52 am »
The incentives offered online for non existing BT customers to join them with Infinity were even greater including shopping vouchers or longer periods of reduced rates. This 6 months @ £10 was for existing BT customers. Must be something more recent or is maybe only available once Fibre is in place in an area to try and get more people to use it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:54:38 am »
It certainly wasn't available at the beginning of the year.

I just found my original post on the subject under 'Superfast Broadband':

Has anybody upgraded yet and if so, is it worth the extra monthly cost plus the £30 one-off charge?