Author Topic: Pen-y-Gaer Penrhynside  (Read 8855 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Pen-y-Gaer Penrhynside
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 09:17:38 pm »
In the  1929 there is a Penrhyn Cottage home of Miss G Brookes listed between Penrhyn Hall Farm  and the Lodge

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 07:16:16 am »
Thanks everyone! Especially for the pics of Glanwydden cemetery!  $thanx$ And of course I should have remembered that Tuesday was Dydd Mawrth! (Long time since my Welsh O level!!  :P)
Yes, Cambrian, I agree our Mary Jones would have been the one at #11 Mt Pleasant, as my Aunt/Uncle lived at #3. My next task is to find out if there was any relationship between them - ah, so many Joneses, so little time!
I shall be able now to crow over my brother for not knowing there IS a cemetery in Glanwydden - especially as I found it out all the way from Australia!  D)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49:30 am »
Here are some more photos of the Cemetery.   The first is of the old Welsh Baptist Chapel Ainon and the third is the entrance to the Baptist Cemetery

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
Curiosity got the better of me so I called at the Conwy Archives today and looked at the Burial Index for Ainon Chapel Glanwydden.   These burial indexes are alphabetical but only record those people who have headstones on their graves.
 There were three Mary Jones listed but unfortunately there wasn't  a match for Mary Jones who died in 1918.     I could see the one for the Mary Jones who died in 1900.    It was written in Welsh and briefly the English translation said " In affectionate memory of Mary Jones dear wife of George Jones   Pen Y Gaer   Penrhynside who died November 16th 1900 aged 30.  Also her daughter Edith Mary who died 5th May 1913 aged 21.
They are buried in the old Cemetery at Plot A 17
The other Mary Jones who died in 1918 may have been buried in the new part of the Cemetery but her grave is unmarked as are many others in the new part.
 Sorry that I couldn't find the exact location for you

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 03:02:19 am »
Well thank you Hugo for your good work - you go far beyond the call of duty!  $thanx$  $good$
Made me smile a bit that "our" Mary may be buried in the "new" part of the Cemetery, considering it's nearly 100 years ago!
Maybe the family just couldn't afford a headstone...
Perhaps next time you are at the Conwy Archives, you could give Oliver a "Hi!" from Tasmania for me - he has been very helpful and actually put me onto this site.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 09:04:29 am »
You are very welcome Jelly Bean,  I'm just sorry that I couldn't get more information for you.     I'll be back at the Archives soon so I'll say hello to Oliver for you.
He's been very helpful when I've gone there as have all the other staff too.
There are other forum members from Australia on here and also Jom who I think is in New Zealand and he has connections with a Jones family ( as we all must have!   ;D )
If you ever want to ask a question, just post it on here and someone may be able to give you the answer.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:00 pm »
I saw Oliver in the Archives today and passed on your message and he appreciated it.   While I was there I did have a look at two local newspapers for 1918 but there was no obituary notice for Mary Jones in either one so there is nothing more to advise you on about her.

Offline Timbo1965

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 01:34:04 pm »
Hi Cambrian, Hugo and Jelly Baby.
Some interesting information there, and thanks for posting the card Jelly Baby and the graveyards.
The Mary Jones who lived here ties up with the information that I found in the archives and also the books by Kenneth.  it's confusing though that there are more than one Mary Jones'
I'm glad I finally know where the graveyard is as it has often been mentioned in the books, but I had no idea where it was. I'll be able to fill in a few more gaps in the history of the house now and it's given me inspiration to find out more following the tips given by you all.

The house by the way is indeed in the "v" between Fron Deg and Penrhyn Old Road. At one time, it was a small holding and the land that Ormeside is now built on belonged to the house and I think was known as as Jonny Cae.

There is another house higher up in the village called Pen-y-Cae and that was also a small holding. So many Pens and Caers and Jones.!