Author Topic: The Curious Case of Beatrice Blore-Browne  (Read 7009 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
The Curious Case of Beatrice Blore-Browne
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:38:19 am »
One of the most interesting gravestones in St Tudnos Church on the Great Orme in Llandudno is this one:

'She feared naught but God'

It is the grave of Beatrice Blore Browne - born September 26th 1887 at Middlesboro, Yorkshire, died November 23rd 1921 at Delamere, Penmaenmawr (age 34).

For a long time, mystery surrounded both her life & death; it was believed that she was a racing driver who died in a car crash but the recent appearance of her death certificate reveals that she actually died from cancer. Her inscription concludes with 'She feared naught but God'.

Beatrice was certainly a unique woman - she drove a 10hp Singer car up Old Road on the Great Orme in, I think, 1911 - a daring feat which resulted in a lot of press attention, there are photos of her driving the car and reports of onlookers watching with 'bated breath' as to whether she would make it or not. I think it was this event that drew the attention of the man that later became her husband, a George Wilkins Browne.

He was another unique character - a racing driver who had held the land speed record at Brooklands (110mph I think?) for about 2 years. By 1914, he lived at 'Sunnyside' on Curzon Road, Craig Y Don, and was the manager of the Llandudno Automobile Touring Company which had a garage on Mostyn Broadway. He was renowned for being ruthless in business and there is a long history of lawsuits he brought against various people in the local area. By 1920, he had become Managing Director of Silver Motors Limited. In later years, he also became a councillor on Llandudno UDC.

In December 1920, he became the first person to drive a car both up and down Snowdon. He drove up and down the railway track in an Angus Sanderson 14hp car. This event was filmed for cinema audiences. The ascent took 1 hour 22 mins, the descent 1 hour 5 mins. He was accompanied by two of the staff from Silver Motors Ltd.

In 1920, she changed her name from Beatrice Blore to Beatrice Blore-Browne and was living at a house called Bodeon in Cadnant Park, Conwy. Her death, on the November 23rd 1921 at the early age of 34, cannot have come as a surprise as she had been suffering from cancer for the previous two years. Her unique gravestone has kept her memory alive, a reminder of a woman keen to push the boundaries of what it was considered acceptable for women to do.

Note: I am keen to find a photo of Beatrice to add to this article; if you happen to have one then please get in touch!

EDIT: There is now a great website (and a lot more information) all about Beatrice at http://beatriceblorebrowne.uk/

Originally posted on 25th September 2009

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: The Curious Case of Beatrice Blore-Browne
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:05:46 pm »
It's articles like that which brought me to this Forum in the first place, thanks Dave, keep 'em coming!   $good$ $thanx$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline rogernb

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:19:31 pm »
Hi Dave
Im glad you like my website on Beatrice - I have a couple of queries about  her that I think you might be able to help me with to tie up a few loose ends
Would you be able to send me you email address so they I can check them out with you? My email is
Best Wishes
Roger  :)
Email is
contact@beatriceblorebrowne.uk

Offline rogernb

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 02:57:21 pm »
I have now published the biography of Beatrice Blore Browne based on my website which Dave gave a link to previously -
The book is to to raise funds for Breast Cancer UK
all profits from the sale of the book go to the charity -

It is available from Amazon UK on the following page or search for the title - 'The Winged Wheel Grave of Llandudno"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1537621823/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478699558&sr=8-1&keywords=The+winged+wheel+grave

Dr Roger N Bloor