Author Topic: Rhos Abbey Hotel - Demolition  (Read 3785 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Rhos Abbey Hotel - Demolition
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:53:53 am »

Rhos Abbey Hotel during demolition in 2001

The Rhos Abbey Hotel, on the front in Rhos On Sea, was the village’s largest hotel. Built in 1898, the large 32 bedroom red-brick building became a local landmark. Trade, however, began to decline in the 1980s and the hotel went bankrupt in August 1991. It was sold in October 1992 for £450,000, the new owner being David Owen of Llandudno’s Tudno Castle Hotel. He announced plans for a 20 bedroom extension, swimming pool, sauna & steam room. Sadly, none of these ever materialised and the hotel limped on until 2000 when the owner submitted plans to demolish the hotel and replace it with 30 apartments. The application was refused by Conwy Council but overturned on appeal to the Welsh Assembly. Demolition took place in 2001 and the St Trillo’s Court apartment building now stands on the site.

November 2000 – North Wales Weekly News:

“Yet another landmark hotel is to disappear from the Colwyn Bay area. The 32-room Rhos Abbey Hote lwhich has stood in its commanding position on the sea front at Rhos-on-Sea since 1898 is being demolished and the site turned into 30 apartments.

Conwy county council had refused planning permission for the development but the National Assembly Inspectorate over-turned the decision upon appeal, despite much local opposition to the loss of the famous hotel. As the N.Wales resort is supposed to be undergoing re-generation and the government is concerned about the country’s tourism industry many folk consider this is retrograde step.

But the hotel’s owner considered the area is finished as a tourist spot. The building is listed in Edward Hubbard’s “Buildings of Clwyd” as one of only two buildings on Rhos seafront being worthy of mention. The other is Rhos Ffynach.”

Rhos Abbey Hotel in 1906

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Rhos Abbey Hotel - Demolition
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:14 pm »
Changing times, I still remember Rhos from the 50/60s it was the highlight of the year, to leave the the dull grey of Glasgow to stay with my grandparents for two months every summer, it always seemed "sunny", ....here's something you could'nt do today...from the age of eleven I traveled by coach by myself...Dad would arrange with the driver to keep an eye on me, made sure I got transferred at Crewe, and I was met in CB..great times.

The Prom photo shows my Great grandmothers house, about four down from the Abbey "Ocean View".

The photo below is probably how I remember it the most.