Author Topic: Daviies Family  (Read 89391 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Daviies Family
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2015, 09:48:40 pm »
Maes Glas was in Llangwstennin and Marl Bach in Eglwys Rhos.  The parish boundary probably went alongside the western boundary of Maes Glas.

I apologise for any confusion over an earlier post (0932 on 09/03/15) in which I referred to "Robert Wynne", it should, of course, have read "David Wynne". A senior moment!

Hugh - regarding the 1891 Cenus where Margaret is shown as living at "Cottage, Llan", is there any indication of any other people at the dwelling ?  It seems unusual that in her widowhood she would go to Glan Conwy unless to live with relatives. 

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2015, 09:14:33 am »
When I have time, will have to dig out my family papers.
My family name is Davies and  remember in the 1970/80s walking along Conway Road with my father towards Llanrhos, were many of the family are buried. I can recall during the walk he mentioned his Granfather having an allotment off Conway Road.
I wonder if our families are connected in some way.
My grandmother on my fathers side lived in Conway before she married and the family had connections with the Rowen area.
My father had a cousin named Wynne, by marriage, living in Brynau Road, West Shore in the 1970/90s.
Might be some mileage in this,just wish I had time to investigate more and keep up with it.
Hi Mull.  If I can help doing some research, just give me some names/dates/locations and I will see if there is any connection between our families.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2015, 09:29:45 am »
Maes Glas was in Llangwstennin and Marl Bach in Eglwys Rhos.  The parish boundary probably went alongside the western boundary of Maes Glas.

I apologise for any confusion over an earlier post (0932 on 09/03/15) in which I referred to "Robert Wynne", it should, of course, have read "David Wynne". A senior moment!

Hugh - regarding the 1891 Cenus where Margaret is shown as living at "Cottage, Llan", is there any indication of any other people at the dwelling ?  It seems unusual that in her widowhood she would go to Glan Conwy unless to live with relatives. 

Hi Cambrian. I have attached part A of the images before and after Margaret's 1891 Census Image. Because of the file size restriction, I will send Part B in a separate post.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2015, 09:32:00 am »
Here is Part B. I hope the trail of the five pages helps in positively identifying Margaret's location.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2015, 04:04:20 pm »
I went back to the Archives to have a look at the Burial Indexes following your posting giving the dates of death of Edward and Margaret.
The Burial Indexes though only list graves where there is a headstone and they have copied the inscription from the headstone.  They are easy to locate because the name of the deceased is listed alphabetically as is the address they lived at.
For both Edward and Margaret I have drawn a complete blank as there is no trace in all the records I looked at, and I've looked at all the likely possibilities.     In addition I asked the Archivist to check through their computer records but again it was to no avail.
Finally I checked the Llandudno Advertiser for 1887 and there were no obituary notices in those papers.
Obviously the pair have been buried somewhere and only the Church records of the burial plots will be able to confirm the location.    Edward died first and lived very close to St Hilary's Church Llanrhos (Eglwysrhos) so one would expect him to be buried there and it is hoped that Margaret would have been buried in the same grave later, but where is it?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2015, 04:19:45 pm »
Thanks for posting those attachments Hugh, the names on some of the properties will help to identify where Margaret lived but I'm having trouble reading some of the addresses.   I can read some parts of them but not all but one address looks like "Bee"   now by coincidence Eglwysbach had and still has a pub called the Bee  but I'm not sure if Glan Conwy had a pub called the Bee.
From the info on the Census records the area seems to be in the centre of the village ( the area called Llan)  and I'm wondering if the Bee was  near where Margaret Davies lived in Seaview Terrace.

Cambrian, have you had any better luck looking at the names on the Census?     One of the names looks like Ty Meddiant but the only  Meddiant I can remember is the one off Top Llan Road nearer Fforddlas.   Another looks like Pen Y Foel shop, while another looks like "Iron Duke Public House"        I must remember to make that visit to Specsavers soon!
By the way what did you make the name in Eglwysbach to be  that I thought could be Piccadily?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2015, 04:59:36 pm »
I've got it now,  Victoria House is in Church Street Glan Conwy and that should help to pinpoint the cottage.    Hugh, it is right in the centre of the village where we first thought.
The photos are of St Bridget's Church and Church Street as you approach it from the main road.  The Church is on the left after this short street.
By the way I took this photo of Church Street when I was helping someone on here looking for Davies Family Conwy/ Gyffin and John Davies and his wife Selina lived in the cottage called Isallt which is the cream coloured one on the left of the photo.
Another member of the Davies family, I wonder?

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:21 pm »
The "Bee" and the "Iron Duke" were both pubs or inns in Glan Conwy.  There is evidence of there having been nearly 20 of these in and around the village, however, most were simply drinking parlours in a room in someone's house rather than pubs as we know them.  They were most numerous when Glan Conwy enjoyed a thriving coastal and river shipping trade which gradually tailed off in the late 19th century. I am unsure of the precise location of the two pubs referred to in the Census.

The use of "Victoria" was quite common - the current village shop in Church Street was originally "Victoria Shop"; next to it are two cottages dating from the early 18thC and are called Victoria Cottages; another shop (now a house) situated next to the cottages, was called "Victoria Stores". There was also a Victoria House which may have been the living accommodation above Victoria Shop.

Now I think I may have cracked the location. If we assume the enumerator has worked in a "walking order" he has started at Pendraw Llan with the Iron Duke (27).  Number 31 is The "Prince of Wales" which is not named but was a pub at one time.  I know this as I recognise the names of the family listed. This property is now called "Benarth" and is a few doors north of the Post Office. After a few more properties in Llanrwst Road we reach the "Cross Keys" (now the only pub!) at number 40.  41 to 48 will be from the Memorial Hall round the Ffraid Villa which is the first house on the left as you enter Church Street.  This is where it gets a bit tricky.  I think he has branched left and gone up "Pen Tai" rather than straight along Church Street.  At the end of "Pen Tai" there is a terrace of 4 houses called Bryn Eglwys.  I know from other research that the Hughes family at Number 53 were living at 1 Bryn Eglwys in 1890/2. Margaret Davies is listed at 54 so if we follow the logic that should be 2 Bryn Eglwys.  The enumerator then follows the road round skirting the church wall to reach Ty Mawr (still there by the cemetery) (63).  Incidentally the properties 57 -62 seem to be the Terrace called Pen Tai as Robert and Mary Hughes (57) are listed as being of Pentai on an 1891 inscription on a headstone in the churchyard. After Ty Mawr we get to Tan y Fynwent (64) which used to be the Church Institute and is now a house which has reverted to its original name.  Victoria House is next at 65 but by my reckoning this should be Victoria Stores unless the names were exchanged at a later date.
The terrace (66 to 69) seems to be what is now Victoria Cottages.

I hope this perambulation is of help, but no joy with "Piccadilly".

Offline Hugo

« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2015, 10:35:53 pm »
Cambrian,  I think you have cracked it and FFraid Villa was No 48 on the Census form and Margaret lived 5 doors away ay No 54.      Tyn Y Fynwent was No 64 and was 10 doors away past Margaret's address.
So on that basis we can pinpoint exactly where Margaret lived at the time of the Census.
Hugh, if the cottage was in the street called Pen Tai, then that street is at the top of the street going uphill in my previous photo.    The first  photo is of Pen Tai    ( In English in means Houses at the top)  and the second is of the Chapel at the end of that terrace.

Incidently Hugh, the other Davies Family from Glan Conwy/ Gyffin had ancestors that once lived in Pen Tai.

Another person was on this research  topic under "Mary Jane Davies"  pg3 was looking for their Grandparents Mary Jane Davies and Hugh Davies.
I'm not suggesting that they are also related to you but there seems to be a lot of Davies' in the area.

Cambrian, what I meant to ask was does the name look like Piccadily to you, even if we don't know where it is at the moment it's nice to put a name to the property

Offline Hugo

« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2015, 09:40:16 pm »
Hugh,  I'm not sure if it'll be as easy as I thought to find the address of Margaret as I had a look on Google street view and there have been some alterations to the property.  I will have a walk around the street  asap and see if I can work it out.
I would appreciate it though if you could publish on here the part of the Census that includes Margaret  (No 54 to 62) but please include all the details from that particular Census form ages etc.
There is something I want to see on that page but I can't get to the library to see it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2015, 10:06:06 pm »
Hugh,  you might find this link helpful in your research.   Have a look through it and it seems that the Eglwysrhos Church records have been transferred to the Gwynedd Archives in Caernarfon and from what I've read the info is available on line with the permission of the Archivist.
Just a point if and when you come to look for something in Penygroes, you need to refer to Llanllyfni to trace those records

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.genuki.org.uk%2Fbig%2Fwal%2FCAE%2FEglwysRhos%2F&ei=iAsCVf2CLI3fPaawgeAF&usg=AFQjCNFBIxxNsvxqg-2gwooe_KHmMZvh2w

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2015, 02:16:52 am »
Hugh,  I'm not sure if it'll be as easy as I thought to find the address of Margaret as I had a look on Google street view and there have been some alterations to the property.  I will have a walk around the street  asap and see if I can work it out.
I would appreciate it though if you could publish on here the part of the Census that includes Margaret  (No 54 to 62) but please include all the details from that particular Census form ages etc.
There is something I want to see on that page but I can't get to the library to see it.

Have had to break up image into two parts due to the file restrictions. This is Part 1 54 to 58.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2015, 02:19:33 am »
Here is Part B

Offline Hugo

« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2015, 08:25:47 am »
Thanks Hugh, it was No 59 that I was interested in only because I could see Elizabeth Jones with two children Margaret and Edward but I can see now that the Elizabeth is not William's mother.  At least I've ruled that out.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2015, 09:35:46 am »

Hugo. I have also been looking on Google Maps. The first attempt followed the route that Cambrian described and at the end of Bryn Eglwys, just before the lane that skirts the church cemetery on the right, the last house displayed a house plate "1 Bryn Eglwys". Moving back down the street did not show any further useful house plates.  However, when I keyed in an address of 2 Bryn Eglwys, I got a 2011 image showing a woman walking into the door of the house next to 1 Bryn Eglwys. To the right of the door used by the woman is a house plate displaying "2 Bryn Eglwys".

I have attached the image for your perusal.