Author Topic: Daviies Family  (Read 91020 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Daviies Family
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2015, 05:38:00 pm »
Cambrian,  that footpath was the old cinder track that ran alongside the GPO Engineering place and may still be there but I'm not familiar with Maenan Lodge.   By the way, where is Maenan Lodge, what street is it in?
After you mentioned the connection with the Wynne's living there I looked at Census records and there were two properties at Brickfields and the Census records usually come in some type of order and after Brickfields on the Census records came Gasworks Cottage which was opposite the big Gas Tank that stood there for years.
The Brickworks were just past there adjoining Billy Simpson's old place now Arch Motors, so I'm assuming that the Davies family lived in the address by Maenan Road but I'm not completely positive.  I can't see any cottages on the Brickworks site on that map of BHO but I'll look on the Street index for 1911 and see if anything is there
I was having a chat with someone who has been reading this thread and he mentioned the brickworks and the chimney by Arch Motors and also the brick works by Marian Place.   That area was contaminated and a lot of soil had to removed from Marian Place because of health reasons.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2015, 06:54:09 pm »
Hugo,

The property is called Maenan Close.  It is down a private track (or drive) off Maenan Road, running parallel to Conway Road and Elwy Gardens, heading back towards Llanrhos and ending at what is (or was) a bungalow. It can't be seen from Maenan Road.

The footpath alongside the old GPO depot is still there but no cinders now!

From what I understand, the Wynnes definitely lived there and not the Maesdu Road brickworks so the same will be true for the Davies family. You are right about the other brickworks at Marian Road/Place.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2015, 10:16:06 pm »
Cambrian,   I know where you mean now about Maenan Close after looking it up on Street view.     It was a parcel of land behind all the other houses and had that narrow drive leading to it.
In actual fact it was owned by my uncle and aunt and they had the bungalow built on the land.   It had a rather steep back garden if I remember  correctly.
It's a shame that we don't have photos of the Brickfields properties so that Hugh can build up a bigger picture of where his ancestors lived.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2015, 05:12:12 am »
Hugo and Cambrian.  I found the Brickyard Cottages on the map, and compared this area to the image of the 1871 census. The entries were as follows:

No of Schedule      Residence           Family Name
   1                         Brynia                     Hughes
   2                         Brickfield No 1         Davies
   3                         Brickfield No 2         Roberts
   4                         Gas Works               Roberts
   5                         Cwn Howard            Parry

The above is very consistent with the information on the map.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2015, 07:23:07 am »
Now I have a question for you Hugh.  On your posting on the 28th February you enclosed a copy of a document for Llwyn Onn, was this document from Eglwysbach or Llandudno?

Hugo, the image shows "Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of Eglwysfach in the County of Denbigh".  Unfortunately, the records I have are in between Census years so I can't make out any other data that would narrow down its location.  I will keep digging

Offline Hugo

« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2015, 07:31:37 am »
Hugo and Cambrian.  I found the Brickyard Cottages on the map, and compared this area to the image of the 1871 census. The entries were as follows:

No of Schedule      Residence           Family Name
   1                         Brynia                     Hughes
   2                         Brickfield No 1         Davies
   3                         Brickfield No 2         Roberts
   4                         Gas Works               Roberts
   5                         Cwn Howard            Parry

Thanks Hugh, it follows the pattern I was thinking of,   Bryniau is a farm just past Llanrhos Church, then you had the two Brickfield properties followed by the stone cottage at the Gasworks and then Cwm Howard Farm.
The land near the Brickfields may have been farmed by Cwm Howard or more likely by Jackson's Farm which was further down and across the road.
I'm old enough to remember both Cwm Howard and Jackson's Farm as working farms but nowadays the land has been used for housing and I used to live near them.

The above is very consistent with the information on the map.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2015, 07:48:51 am »
Now I have a question for you Hugh.  On your posting on the 28th February you enclosed a copy of a document for Llwyn Onn, was this document from Eglwysbach or Llandudno?

Hugo, the image shows "Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of Eglwysfach in the County of Denbigh".  Unfortunately, the records I have are in between Census years so I can't make out any other data that would narrow down its location.  I will keep digging

Thanks Hugh, I realised that they were in Eglwysbach when I found a reference to Llwyn Onn in Eglwysbach.     That property was sold in 2007 so the chances of it keeping the same name are good.     I did drive up the lane but couldn't see the house and apart from the postwoman there wasn't a local in sight.    Don't worry though because it will turn up again.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:09 pm »
Hugh,  I was in the Llandudno Archives today but didn't find anything new there.    Just so you know they have the Eglwysbach Parish records for Baptisms. burials and marriages going back to 1601 so there is a lot of info out there.
I don't know if you know where and when Edward and Margaret died as I can't find them in the 1891 Census and I did look in the Llandudno Register of Burials up to 1891 but they were not there either.
According to the 1911 Street Index Brickfield Cottages were no longer there so Edward and Margaret may have moved address in the meantime.
Just to give you an idea of the problem with locating things that are in different Parishes I've posted a photo again.     Marl Bach where Edward & Margaret lived was in the trees on the left of the photo and was in Eglwysrhos,   The house on the right is Maes Glas where another member of the Davies family lived and that I believe was in the Parish of Llangystennin

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2015, 09:32:40 pm »
Just a couple of things.  Yes, Hugo, Marl Bach was in Llangwstennin/Llancystennin.
Robert Wynne and Margaret had a daughter, Catherine, who was known locally as "Caddie Bricks", so the name stuck for decades afterwards.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »
Cambrian, wasn't Marl Bach in Eglwysrhos and Maes Glas the building in the picture in Llangystennin?

I've heard that name in the distant past somewhere but names did stick.   We had Billy Bricks in Cwm Place and what a nice guy he was.
Years ago my G Grandfather had the Temperance Hotel in Llandudno  (half the Castle Hotel) and for years our family were known as the Hughes Temperance but that changed over the generations especially when Norman 08 and myself came along.      Z**    Z**

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2015, 08:27:28 am »
I don't know if you know where and when Edward and Margaret died as I can't find them in the 1891 Census and I did look in the Llandudno Register of Burials up to 1891 but they were not there either.
According to the 1911 Street Index Brickfield Cottages were no longer there so Edward and Margaret may have moved address in the meantime.
Hugo. For some obscure reason, I had not previously searched for the burial/death details for Edward or Margaret until your request. I have now found both as follows:

- Image of "Burials in the Parish of Eglwys Rhos" shows and entry on p70 entry no 554 for Edward Davies, Brick-Field Cottage Eglwys Rhos buried on 5 Jan 1887.

- Image of "Burials in the Parish of Eglwys Rhos" shows and entry on p97 entry no 772 for Margaret Davies, Conway Union late Ty-Brick buried on June 15 1891. There is an entry on the 1991 Census for a Margaret Davies, living at Cottage, Village, Llansaintffraid Glan Conway as a widowed lodger living on her own means.

I am not sure if the two records, the burial record and the 1991Census, agree completely, but my guess is that they do.

If this leads to the discovery of their graves then I will be immensely grateful. If not it fills in some important data.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:16 am »
Thanks Hugh, that all fits in,   Edward died before the 1891 Census and was living in Eglwysrhos.     Margaret had moved to Glan Conwy by the time of the 1891 Census  (probably held in April )   
The entry for Margaret Davies at the Conway Union fits in too date wise but I'm not sure if the Conway Union was a hospital or a workhouse and I'm sure that Cambrian will know the answer to that one.
As to the graves then they could be in a number of places but I haven't searched for Conwy graves yet.   When I next go to the Archives I'll have a look again now that I've got the extra info from you.
Margaret's address in Glan Conway sounds like the place we have been calling Llan and would have been near St Brigit's Church in the centre of the village

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2015, 09:32:13 am »
Interesting stuff.

"Conway Union" sounds like a reference to the Conway Union Workhouse on Bangor Road, Conwy.  This later became Conwy Hospital and has now been demolished.

It's a pity the Glan Conwy address is so vague - though, as Hugo surmises, it will be the area round the Church.

I'll check on Maes Glas/Marl Bach.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2015, 08:44:12 pm »
I've nothing to add to that, but just to clarify Ty Bricks in case you are wondering about the various names.   Ty means house in English so it's the same place where they lived in Eglwysrhos.
Quite often you'll come across names that are spelt differently and there are a variety of reasons for it, but you have definitely got the right people.

Offline mull

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »
When I have time, will have to dig out my family papers.
My family name is Davies and  remember in the 1970/80s walking along Conway Road with my father towards Llanrhos, were many of the family are buried. I can recall during the walk he mentioned his Granfather having an allotment off Conway Road.
I wonder if our families are connected in some way.
My grandmother on my fathers side lived in Conway before she married and the family had connections with the Rowen area.
My father had a cousin named Wynne, by marriage, living in Brynau Road, West Shore in the 1970/90s.
Might be some mileage in this,just wish I had time to investigate more and keep up with it.