Author Topic: Daviies Family  (Read 90655 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Daviies Family
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2015, 04:16:53 pm »
According to Google,  Llwyn Onn, is in Ffordd Gyffylog, Eglwysbach but whether it is the same property I'm not sure.  Also Tyddyn Iolyn is in Ffordd Maenan at post code LL28 5UG  but I've no idea about Glan y borth.   
Glan y borth in English means Bank of the ferry/ port so I would expect it to be somewhere near the Tal Y Cafn bridge but again I've not seen  or heard of it, but will try and find out.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2015, 08:54:43 am »
Hugh

Interesting stuff.  I am a bit puzzled as the younger Margaret Davies (who married David Wynne) I have as having been born on 7.12.1847 at Hendafarn, Llandudno.  As the year and the location are different, I wonder if they are the same.  By another odd coincidence, there is a Llwyn Onn in Llandudno very close to Hendafarn.

Hi Cambrian,

The baptismal record I found for Margaret is the only one matching the details known to me, particularly the father and mother names (Edward and Margaret).  I have tried to find a baptismal record for the Margaret b. 7/12/1847 without success. Having said that, the Baptismal record will always lag the birth date. In the case of 'my' Margaret, the baptismal record is dated 9 January 1948, so could well be 'your' Margaret as well.  I am not sure what records you hold in relation to 'your' Margaret, but my only record for 'my' Margaret is the Baptismal record naming her parents and a birth date consistent with other records I have, and of course a corresponding area consistent with other family records.

I have unsuccessfully searched for a marriage to 'my' Margaret so would hope there is sufficient evidence to match both our Margarets. 

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2015, 02:43:57 pm »
Hugh

I have seen marriage details for Margaret.

She married David Wynne, aged 23, a farm labourer of Llansantffraid Glan Conway, on 28th March 1869.  He was a farm labourer.

She was aged 21 and a domestic servant whose residence was "Brickworks, Llandudno".  Her father was Edward Davies, a labourer.

The marriage was at Carmel Calvinistic Chapel, Conwy. The Chapel is still there in Chapel Street.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »
This is the Chapel you are talking about Cambrian.    I took the photos when I was helping out with the research for Pensarn Farm and she was looking for her relatives etc.    From memory one of her relations worked and lived in the Chapel House and she must be related directly or indirectly to Hugh.

The posting by Anneelaine under the topic Pensarn Farm pg  8 & 10  shows that her relative Jane Ann Rogerson  (Nee Davies) in her burial notice lived at Bronallt Chapel Street Conwy.    Bronallt is the house on the left in the first photo 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:30 pm »
I've just gone into the web site  British History Online and as a result I have found Glan Y Borth.   It was exactly where I thought it was and as you go from the Tal Y Cafn Hotel cross the railway line and it was on the left before the bridge.
The  BHO site is very good and is easy and handy to use. The map was an O/S map of 1888- 1895 and seems to predate the bridge at Tal Y Cafn

Offline Hugo

« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:59 pm »
I've had a look at British History Online and put in Llanrhos for the map search and can see where the Brickfield Cottages where.    They were roughly  on the corner of where Conwy Road meets Maenan Road nowadays and opposite that pubic footpath that goes to Queens Road.
It's a good site to see where older properties once where.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2015, 12:20:48 am »
Hugh

I have seen marriage details for Margaret.

She married David Wynne, aged 23, a farm labourer of Llansantffraid Glan Conway, on 28th March 1869.  He was a farm labourer.

She was aged 21 and a domestic servant whose residence was "Brickworks, Llandudno".  Her father was Edward Davies, a labourer.

That's good enough for me!!  Another link to add to the tree.  Are you able to send me a transcript or copy of the document you are citing from? Again, my email address is hugh.daviessolutions@gmail.com if you wish to do so off line.  I have attached a copy of Margaret's Baptism for your records.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2015, 03:00:52 pm »
Hugh - The detail I have is from a note I made when I was looking at another family some years ago. It could have been from a certificate someone had.  If you look at a site called North Wales BMD you can input the couple's details for 1869 and that will bring up the partial record.  The reference is CNWY/02/23. 

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2015, 10:12:53 pm »
Hugh - The detail I have is from a note I made when I was looking at another family some years ago. It could have been from a certificate someone had.  If you look at a site called North Wales BMD you can input the couple's details for 1869 and that will bring up the partial record.  The reference is CNWY/02/23. 

Thanks Cambrian. I will use the Northern Wales BMD reference in my records.  Out of curiosity, was the person you were doing the research for looking at the Wynne side (as I suspect), or the Davies side?

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2015, 08:02:55 pm »
No, just the Wynnes as an off-shoot.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2015, 10:24:23 pm »
Just a few photos of Eglwysbach as it is now.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2015, 08:26:58 am »
I've had a look at British History Online and put in Llanrhos for the map search and can see where the Brickfield Cottages where.    They were roughly  on the corner of where Conwy Road meets Maenan Road nowadays and opposite that pubic footpath that goes to Queens Road.
It's a good site to see where older properties once where.
Hugo, what map did you look at to find this? Any chance of a snapshot of the piece of the map showing the Brickfield Cottages that I can use to find them myself.

Similarly, are you able to post a snapshot of the piece of map showing Glan y Borth.

I know you talked about tracing the route to Penygroes from Llandudno, but at the moment, I am still trying to record all the data that has been found predominantly as a result of your efforts. There has not been a reply from the Gwyndaf I wrote to prior to Christmas which I take to mean that he is not a relative or does not wish to pursue communications.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2015, 10:12:40 am »
Hugh if you put British History Online into Google and then go into the home page.  In the top box on the left put Llanrhos in the box and two maps will appear.
Go to the O/S map   005/NW and then click.   Then go to see the whole screen and keep enlarging.   Tou are looking towards the top left hand side of the map.      By the Church in Llanrhos there is a main road follow that North or upwards and then the road forks.  Take the left hand fork and you will see Brickworks Cottages.   That is where it was but they are no longer there.
What is good about the map is no matter how much you enlarge it the image quality stays the same.

Now I have a question for you Hugh.  On your posting on the 28th February you enclosed a copy of a document for Llwyn Onn, was this document from Eglwysbach or Llandudno?

The reason I am asking is because I did see something in Google saying that there was a Llwynn Onn in Ffordd Gyffylog Eglwysbach.   (  Ffordd is Welsh for Street so in English it would be Gyffylog Street)       Anyway I was in Eglwysbach yesterday and I asked a postwoman delivering mail where it was and she had not heard of Llwyn Onn.    That doesn't mean that there isn't one just that she didn't know one.

Tyddyn Iolyn is still there and is up a steep hill but is not visible from the main road.

Glan Y Borth is a bit of a mystery as I thought that I had seen the property on the o/s map.   Using BHO put in Tal Y Cafn and go to the map 009/SW and you will see where it should be in the top left hand side of the map.     The property I thought it was is called Ty'n Y Borth ( roughly translated Farmstead of the Ferry)     That is where Glan Y Borth should be according to the translation of its Welsh name and it could be that Ty'n Y Borth and Glan Y Borth are the same place.
Here is a photo that I took of the property called Ty'n Y Borth yesterday

I think that you are wise to concentrate on this area as there is still a lot more to find out and the area and Archive are both close at hand

Offline Hugo

« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2015, 12:40:09 pm »
Hugh, I have found the attached info on line so I know that it was in Eglwysbach. and a property search on rightmove showed these details:-

Llwynonn, Ffordd Gyffylog, Eglwysbach, Colwyn Bay, Conwy LL28 5TU
£180,000   Detached, Freehold   25 Apr 2007

It's a long single track lane but I couldn't see where exactly Llwyn Onn is.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2015, 02:09:23 pm »
Hugo

The cottage was on a plot directly opposite the public footpath between Queen's Road and Conway Road (the path has the figure "31" on the map). There is a property up a lane off Maenan Road, called Maenan Close, which may be the site of the cottage(s). From memory it looks like a small quarry rather than a clay pit.

What puzzles me a little is that on the map the reference is to "Brickyard Cottage" which conveys a slightly different meaning to brickworks. I wonder if it was an area for storage of bricks produced at the brickworks down on what is Maesdu Road (now roughly where Arch Motors is situated).