Author Topic: Daviies Family  (Read 89352 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Daviies Family
« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2016, 06:00:17 pm »
Hi Hugh,    I was wondering how you were doing with your research on your N Wales family and if you had found out anything new about your Grandfather, in particular, if he was conscripted into the Army in World War 1

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2016, 11:13:05 am »
Hi Hugo,

Unfortunately, I have only been able to obtain a very limited amount of information.  I have started to build a page on FamilySearch to perhaps encourage other Welsh family members to swap family information, but looking after grandchildren and my constant tiredness have made this a slow process.

I still plan to research more of my grandfather's mother's family, and hopefully my grandmother's history as time and energy permit.  I do enjoy this Forum and spend a bit of time looking at the various posts. 

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #347 on: February 16, 2017, 05:04:53 am »
I think I mentioned in one of my posts that out of desperation to make contact with my Welsh family members, I did a search on White Pages for a Gwyndaf Davies living in Pwllheli. Gwyndaf was my cousin (dad's brother's son) and worked on a merchant ship which would dock in Brisbane from time to time.

My search found a possible match so I drafted a letter explaining who I was, who I hoped this Gwyndaf was, and my contact details if he was my actual relative.  I posted the letter in December 2014. But alas, no response was forthcoming...until a few nights ago when I received an email from a Carys mentioning the 2014 letter asking me if my email address was still valid. I confirmed that my address was still valid and received a follow up email explaining that my cousin Gwyndaf passed away 32 years ago but the Gwyndaf who received the letter eventually tracked down Carys who was in fact my cousin Gwyndaf's younger sister (and also my cousin). We are currently bringing each other up to speed with our respective families/lives. And I will then share the information I have garnered so far. I am hopeful that between us we can perhaps make more discoveries.

Will post an update in due course.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2017, 01:11:08 pm »
Hi Hugh,   that's fantastic news and I'm so pleased for you having a response like that.        $good$
Thanks for posting it on the forum so we can see how your search is progressing.
Have you had any more updates from the Penygroes side of the family?    I know that the Chronic Fatigue was holding you back with your searches when you last posted but I hope that the CF is under control as I know how debilitating it can be.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2017, 11:00:42 am »
Thus far, I have made connection with two of my cousins in Wales which  has been extremely exciting. I have now had communications with a distant cousin, who is a descendant of my great grandmother's sister Margaret Davies.

Again, I am very grateful to this site which has provided a means to connect individuals to potential, previously unknown family members. For those who feel unconnected to distant family members, making these connections are priceless.

Regards, Hugh

Offline Hugo

« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2017, 11:55:13 am »
That's great news Hugh and I'm so pleased for you as I know how much your search has meant to you.    I hope that your Davies connection continues to grow and that you keep us up to date on the forum
Hope that your CF isn't too bad at present as you have a lot to catch up on this your Welsh family          $walesflag$

Offline Gwyrfai

« Reply #351 on: June 28, 2017, 02:50:03 pm »
Hello
Over the past month I've been tracing the family history of a friend of mine, David Davies, (known as Dafydd) originally from Clynnog, about 10 miles from Caernarfon.
I had managed to trace his paternal grandfather’s family line back to Hugh and Margaret Davies, Tyddyn Iolyn, Eglwysbach. When I googled “Tyddyn Iolyn, Eglwysbach” to get a few details about the place, I came across your messages on the Three Towns Forum.     
Dafydd’s father, William Lloyd Davies, was your father’s brother. As you are aware, William, his brother Humphrey and sister Jane were not born at the time of the 1911 census.
I have obtained some details about Dafydd’s grandmother's side of the family, (Catherine Davies, nee Jones) and managed to go back a number of generations. If you want to email me I can forward some details on to you along with Dafydd’s contact details.
Robert

Offline Hugo

« Reply #352 on: June 28, 2017, 04:13:18 pm »
I've noticed that Hugh has visited the forum very recently so he'll see your posting and get in touch.

Tyddyn Iolyn is set up high above Eglwysbach and is no longer accessible  from the road.   When I went there to take some photos for Hugh I got permission from the landowner first of all.    There are a number of buildings there but they were dilapidated when I saw them, although the farmer I spoke to said that someone was going to do them up.

Offline Gwyrfai

« Reply #353 on: June 28, 2017, 07:47:28 pm »
Thanks Hugo, I'd read a few of the posts already. Hugh's grandmother's ancestors were also farmers on the Llyn peninsula.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2017, 11:05:06 am »
Thanks Hugo, I'd read a few of the posts already. Hugh's grandmother's ancestors were also farmers on the Llyn peninsula.

Hi Gwyrfai/Robert

Wow!  What a revelation.  I have been stuck on my Grandmothers (Catherine Jones) family connections after having considerable success with my Grandfather's (William Davies) history.  I must admit that it wasn't until a recent and unexpected email from one of my cousins that I knew that dad had a brother called William.

I would welcome any and all information you have in relation to my grandfather or grandmother's history.  My email address is hugh.daviessolutions@gmail.com and look forward to any information you can provide.  Equally, I am more than happy to provide what information I have.

Regards, Hugh

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2017, 09:58:44 am »

Hi Gwyrfai/Robert

Wow!  What a revelation.  I have been stuck on my Grandmothers (Catherine Jones) family connections after having considerable success with my Grandfather's (William Davies) history.  I must admit that it wasn't until a recent and unexpected email from one of my cousins that I knew that dad had a brother called William.

Regards, Hugh

Another Piece in the Puzzle!

Chalk up another huge benefit of this website. I started my family history journey with a few scraps of information seeking help on this forum. As a result I solved a very complex journey to find my Grandfather's history thanks to many inputs from other members (particularly Hugo).

Due to other Welsh family members conducting searches on-line, they have discovered this thread and as a result I have made contact with those family members. The latest puzzle was an email from my Cousin who mentioned a William Lloyd Davies who was my father's brother.  I responded that I had never heard any mention of a William Lloyd as a brother of dad. The latest discoverer of this thread was a Robert Williams tracing the family history for a David (Dafydd) Davies, who is the son of William Lloyd Davies who turned out to be my father's brother referred to in many stories as 'Bonzo'. Prior to this I thought 'Bonzo' was a nickname of one of his other known brothers.

The importance of the contact by Robert Williams is that I now have a detailed history of my grandmother's (Catherine Jones) family history which I am still trying to digest.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2017, 10:33:03 am »
Very recently I had a conversation with friends of ours where I mentioned that despite a number of setbacks due to brick walls such as illegitimate births etc., I had continued to trace the maternal relatives and other extended family members.  I was then told that the wife of our friend had traced her direct family with a view to capturing as much of the family lore as she could.

I was then asked if I was similarly seeking family lore or just exploring family links for the sake collecting relatives names.  This comment did give me pause to think about my approach to tracing my family heritage. I soon realised that the difference was that those I was talking with had had there extended family as part of their on-going lives. For me, my extended family was permanently removed from me when we left the UK for Australia in 1950.  So any connection I can make with my father's past is another point of interest which in other family units would be folk lore.

May the journey continue.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #357 on: August 14, 2017, 04:58:19 pm »
I'm afraid that I can't help you at all with the family lore Hugh but you must have many relatives of the Davies family in the Conwy County area.  I've a feeling that there may be relatives on the forum too.
Let's hope that they can come forward and give you some more info

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2017, 06:39:51 am »
Hi  Hugo (and others)

I have decided to take your advice and continue my research of my great-grandmother's family (i.e. the children of Edward and Margaret Davies). I decided to start with their eldest child Jane Davies b1840. On 6 December 1867, Jane married a Llewelyn Parry, Stone Mason living in Glan y Mor Terrace Llandudno. I tried to find them in the 1871 Census but could only find Llewelyn living with his parents at Ty Gwyn, Llandudno. However, in the 1881 Census I found a Llewelyn and Jane Parry living Brynmaenen, Llandudno with their son John b1875. The 1891 and 1901 show all three living in Madoc Street, Llandudno. Llewelyn died in 1906.

Something jogged my memory and I checked the 1871 Census for Edward and Margaret, and there was an Anne Parry(2) - Granddaughter living there at that time but is not listed with Llewelyn and Jane in the 1881 Census. I thought that she may have died very young but could not find any conclusive record for her death.  It was also odd about Llewelyn living with family in the 1871 Census and although it listed a Jane Parry b 1842, she was listed as "daughter". I wondered whether the transcript I was referring to was somehow incorrect so looked at the original image which confirmed Jane was recorded as "daughter". However, whist the transcript did not show Marital Status for any individual the image did and showed Llewelyn to be a "Widower". I did a search for a death record for a Jane Parry and found that she died in 1969 and buried on 2 January.

So who was the Jane Parry listed in the 1881 and subsequent Census records? I found a marriage record for a Llewelyn Parry marrying a Jane Foulkes in 1875. Mystery solve. But what happened to Jane's daughter Anne. I found her (listed as Annie) living with Llewelyn, parents at Ty Gwyn, North Parade Llandudno in the 1881 Census remaining there up to the 1911 Census where she was living with Llewelyn's sister. Both remained unmarried and were listed in 1911 having an occupation of "Private Means"

I had a look at the 1939 records and found some "Parry" members living at number 8 North Parade and would be interested if you could confirm that this is the Ty Gwyn referred to in the Census records. I have also done a search for any record of Annie's death. I found the following image on Billion Graves site:

http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/Annie-Parry/289695

The image shows Annie died 16 August 1933 and is buried with her Aunty Jane Parry who died in 1918. They are buried in Saint Tudno Church Cemetery Llandudno.  As Annie Parry in the only "Davies" offspring of Jane Davies and that Annie never married, there is no more to be explored for Jane's family.

On to Anne Davies b1842

Offline Hugo

« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2017, 06:47:37 pm »
Well you have been busy Hugh and added a few more pieces to the jigsaw of the Davies family.   

North Parade is a street made up of Hotels and boarding houses and is in a lovely location on the promenade and just opposite the pier.  I did some research for the Williams Family in Llandudno and one of their relatives lived at the rear of No 8 North Parade.
No 8 is the cream coloured building on the right and is now part of the Baytree Hotel.     When I was a teenager I would have known the names of all the hotels but they have changed names etc over the years but I believe that No 8 North Parade and Ty Gwyn North Parade are the same building.    If I'm wrong then I hope someone can correct me but I can check it out in the Conwy Archives when I go there next.

The grave of Annie is in the newer part of the Cemetery and is council owned.   I took the photo when I had a walk on the Great Orme earlier this year  and stopped for lunch  over looking the Cemetery.    If you look at the big building in the foreground the grave is roughly to the right and forward of the building towards the fence.
The old Church of St Tudno is behind it in the far corner and the earlier graves are contained within the walls of the Church Cemetery.

Good luck with the next instalment od Anne Davies      $good$