Author Topic: The 'Dark' Internet  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
The 'Dark' Internet
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »
Today, for the first time, it has been announced that the police in several countries have managed to shut down over 400 sites on the dark internet.
They have also arrested many people behind the illegal trading sites that exist there.
They have always previously thought to have been out of reach!   Article below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29950946
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The 'Dark' Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:39:46 pm »
Today, for the first time, it has been announced that the police in several countries have managed to shut down over 400 sites on the dark internet.
They have also arrested many people behind the illegal trading sites that exist there.
They have always previously thought to have been out of reach!   Article below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29950946
Very interesting. It's worth remembering that no-one is out of the reach of the Law on the Internet...no matter how clever they think they are.  $walesflag$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:47:55 pm »
Absolutely.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »
Ban Internet shopping and get the empty High Street shops operating again.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 09:58:52 pm »
  Hey Yorkie. Was'ent it you that boasted that you purchased from Amazon virtually every day? Or are you being sarcastic? I didn't think that was your style.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:52:16 pm »
Ban Internet shopping and get the empty High Street shops operating again.   ZXZ

Ban high street shopping I say, and then I wouldn't have to stand in over-warm, boring clothing shops.... whilst my wife leafs through endless rails of ladies wear.      Worse still, asking MY opinion on whether it looks good or not!    &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 07:25:57 am »
There's no doubt that Amazon and its ilk have decimated the high street, but not of all types of shops. Clothing - as Fester points out - is still going strong on the high street, partly as a social experience. Places such as Cheshire Oaks are thriving, and they mainly deal in clothing. But two things the internet has done is effectively force prices down and offer consumers massive choice, thus raising expectations which few high street shops can meet.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 08:50:16 am »
  Hey Yorkie. Was'ent it you that boasted that you purchased from Amazon virtually every day? Or are you being sarcastic? I didn't think that was your style.

Quite right Mike, I do use Amazon a lot, in fact three purchases this week!  But, I also like browsing in shops, were the prices only competative.  The service from Amazon is second to none and any complaints, should you have one, are rapidly dealt with, and returning any item is painless. 
I recently purchased a pack of 12 small jars of peeled garlic.  One arrived broken.  A quick email and a phone call later and another pack of 12 was winging its way to me.  The 11 unbroken jars were not required to be returned.  So 23 for the (very cheap) price of 12 was a very satisfying transaction!
 ZXZ
Apart from cooking, I take neat garlic every day.  Don't know if it really helps me but does ensure I have my own space!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 11:23:41 am »
There's no doubt that Amazon and its ilk have decimated the high street, but not of all types of shops. Clothing - as Fester points out - is still going strong on the high street, partly as a social experience. Places such as Cheshire Oaks are thriving, and they mainly deal in clothing. But two things the internet has done is effectively force prices down and offer consumers massive choice, thus raising expectations which few high street shops can meet.

Your quote Ian,..."There's no doubt that Amazon and its ilk have decimated the high street"...made me think back a few years, in the 90s I had three shops, all doing well, until the lottery started, "decimated" is to strong a word but the adverse effect was considerable, then came the Scratchcard!!... one shop in particular halved it's income, that town had a population of three thousand, the main outlet posted the number of weekly winners in it's window, never less than 700 winners, probable just a £1 but if 700 won how many lost, how much did the retailers lose in general?......today the lottery is bigger, dozens of scratch cards plus online bingo etc some are for good causes but the overall effect is less money for the high street.

UK Office for National Statistics Research figures "prove that this type of gambling, money is spent on more of this than people spend on going to the cinema, concerts, theme parks, museums and theatre combined. A lot of people now don’t go out for dinner or spend money on activities since people don’t have as much money coming in than they used to have"

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/28/englands-poorest-spend-gambling-machines