Author Topic: Mike's Great Orme Golf Course  (Read 72642 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Mike's Great Orme Golf Course
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 12:36:45 pm »
I grew up on Llwynon Rd opposite the golf course & used to love it when the council came to cut the grass. They had a Land Rover that used to pull mowers behind it & if he was in a good mood the driver (Richard) would let me and my mates sit in the back whilst he drove up & down cutting the course (probably breaking every rule in the book!). In the brighter evenings we used to use one of the greens to play British Bulldog, Football or Tip etc...
As well as being good for sledging in the winter we also found that in the summer when it got very dry you could slide down from the top right hand corner on a piece of cardboard, it was even better in the rough along the right hand edge as the longer grass seemed to reduce the friction and you could get more speed up. Being so young we didn't appreciate the damage this caused to the grass and all the bits of spent cardboard also started to build up and look unsightly.
The little estate opposite the course was built in the late sixties and a lot of young families moved in in 1969 so there was quite a gang of us kids in the early 70's, so you can appreciate how much use we made of the course when it was closed for the winter or late in the Summer evenings.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 10:58:37 pm »
I imagine it was just a coincedence but the Landlord of the Cottage Loaf and some of his family came up for a game around abouts Wednesday, probably before themedz put out the leaflets.  I'm not sure what problem you have heard of Fester, but they certainly appeared to enjoy themselves with me. Mike

Offline Trojan

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 09:05:07 pm »
I grew up on Llwynon Rd opposite the golf course & used to love it when the council came to cut the grass. They had a Land Rover that used to pull mowers behind it & if he was in a good mood the driver (Richard) would let me and my mates sit in the back whilst he drove up & down cutting the course (probably breaking every rule in the book!).

That brings back memories. Myself and my mate used to do the same on Maesdu Field when they used to cut the grass. Can't remember the Land Rover driver's name though. Health & Safety would have a Field Day ;D if that were to happen these day's.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 09:09:34 pm »
The little estate opposite the course was built in the late sixties and a lot of young families moved in in 1969 so there was quite a gang of us kids in the early 70's.

Paddy, Eddie & Chris Linden, Alan & Ben Casey, Steve Brett......... ;)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »
I know them all. Paddy, Eddie & Chris actually lived right behind me in an older house that the estate was built next to, Alan & Ben lived just off the estate further down Llwynon Rd. Steve Brett lived on the estate at No.59, his younger brother Paul works for the same company as myself. Small world!
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2011, 03:19:49 pm »
Mike now has a Facebook Page for his Great Orme Family Golf:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Great-Orme-Family-Golf/222196577791656
Please support him and 'Like' it.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2011, 05:22:45 pm »
Mike now has a Facebook Page for his Great Orme Family Golf:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Great-Orme-Family-Golf/222196577791656
Please support him and 'Like' it.

The 'Like' button has been pressed

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2011, 05:24:10 pm »
Ditto  ;)
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:34 pm »
Ditto
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2011, 10:01:38 pm »
It is done, Master.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »
ditto ditto  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 05:14:14 pm »
I've only just seen these last few posts. I wondered where all the "likes" were coming from

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »
I met Mike this evening and also played the course for the first time in my life after having played the ones down in Happy Valley many times during the sixties and seventies.

It was a shame it began to rain around the sixth hole but it was a very good excuse for our group to make our way early to the Kings Head.

I would imagine the views are quite stunning when playing those holes towards the top when the weather is fine.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 10:46:56 am »
The weather must have cleared somwhat yesterday-- when I went up mid morning the summit wasn't visible from the Summit Car Park !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »
I could certainly see the waves pounding the shoreline over towards the Little Orme from the fourth hole around 8pm.