Author Topic: John Henry Clifford, mayor of Conwy 1944  (Read 1793 times)

Offline monica.gilbertson@hotmail

John Henry Clifford, mayor of Conwy 1944
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:13:08 pm »
I am trying to find out more about my grand uncle John Henry Clifford who was Mayor of Conwy 1943/44 and 1944/45.
He was born in Bath in 1894 and moved to Llandudno junction in the 1920s.  He was married to Florence May and I think he lived in Ronald Avenue around this time.  Apparently he had strong Union connections.
Does anyone know exactly what his job was on the railways, or where I might be able to find out further information on his life in N Wales, why he became mayor, photos, etc. 
He originally came from Bath, Somerset and I believe he returned there later in his life.

Monica

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: John Henry Clifford, mayor of Conwy 1944
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:20:00 pm »
Hi. Welcome to the forum, J. H. Clifford lived at "Bathon" Ronald Avenue  and is described as a "Railwayman" in the 1929 street directory, hope this helps

Offline monica.gilbertson@hotmail

Re: John Henry Clifford, mayor of Conwy 1944
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:37:45 pm »
Thanks for this info.  It would be good to find out more about what he did at Llandudno junction, why he became Mayor. etc.
I think also that he visited Russia - this could have been to do with his Railway Union connections but I have no proof of this so if anyone can enlighten me?