Author Topic: Davies Family Conwy/Gyffin  (Read 5639 times)

Offline wardeworld

Davies Family Conwy/Gyffin
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:49:45 pm »
Well a stab in the dark to see if any one can help out in my family research -my Grandfather John Davies who  was a sexton of Gyffin Church  was born 1876 married 1908 to Selina Powell , after marriage lived in Glan Conway then at some time moved to Gyffin and onto the Woodlands - John & Selina went on to have 12 children ! It is understood John was a plasterer by trade
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Davies Family Conwy/Gyffin
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:00:19 pm »
This may be of help in getting you on a line of enquiry.  In 1925, a John Davies, Plasterer, is listed as living at Ty Uchaf, Henryd Road, Gyffin.  He had gone by 1929 but a Mrs John Davies appears at 39 Bryn Tirion Park, Gyffin - possibly his widow ???

There are a couple of other people on this site who may be able to help with information or other suggestions. 

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 03:00:24 pm »
Thanks for the info

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:03:34 pm »
thanks for the info - but i know my John Davies  lived till 1944

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 03:06:06 pm »
John Davies i believe in the Home Guard 1940's

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:31 pm »
What type of info are you looking for and have you found your Grandfather on the 1911 Census?
The photo looks like it was taken by the council houses on Llanrwst road in Gyffin but I may be mistaken.
The Conwy Archives at Llandudno will have certain info there as they have a lot of records for Gyffin such as Street Indexes, Burial indexes etc and that would include St Benedict's Church in Gyffin

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:20:01 pm »
As much as i can really - i know the bare bones just want to add some meat like where lived or worked is there any records of work in church, and with the name john davies not the easiest to research so any help is greatly appreciated

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 11:22:22 pm »
John Davies in 1911 in Glan Conwy

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 11:25:14 pm »
John Davies Marriage 1908

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 02:42:15 pm »
Thanks for posting those documents on here.  I had a look at the address of John Davies on the marriage certificate and think that it is "Isfryn  Glan Conway"     In those days they didn't always show the full address but there is an Isfryn in Church Street Glan Conwy and that is a terraced property that is still there, in fact I've been past it many times over the years.
I also saw that John Davies' father was Samuel Williams deceased.    I would assume from that that Samuel Williams' widow remarried and  John has taken the name of the step father.   Is that assumption correct?
Have you ever seen that home?
The 1911 Census shows that the marital home was Gorphwysfa Glan Conway,   have you seen that property too?    Iknow that I've seen the name in Glan Conwy but can't place where it is.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 06:01:30 pm »
Hugo - from memory, Gorphwysfa is a detached property down a passage almost opposite Isfryn.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 06:06:57 pm »
Thanks Cambrian you're a gem, as I've tried to find it on Google but had no luck.    If Wardeworld hasn't seen the properties I'll pop down and take some photos asap

I've just looked on Google and seen the white cottage called Isfryn and the passage opposite.    I can remember going there to Gorphwysfa and taking photos of that detached property for another person and the person who once owned Gorphwysfa also had a connection with the building at the end of the terrace which is now a Hairdressers.
But I cannot for the life of me remember who the request was for.

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 09:04:16 am »
Morning
No have not seen the houses - yet so pictures most useful.  John Davies parents well father is a mystery to be resolved yet.  on 1881 census living with grandmother gaynor jones at pentai glan conwy - possible mother is mary davies shown as daughter on census.  1891 found a Samuel Williams with wife shown as Mary Williams copy below but John Davies is missing ages match so a possible - But i do know Gaynor Jones had remarried around 1855 (and previous husband was a John Davies) her second husband John Morris Jones one of their children Jane Jones married an Alfred Powell who had a child Selina Powell - For those of you not quick enough or totally confused by now that is the same person my grandfather John Davies married in 1908 yes they where first cousins

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 03:15:03 pm »
Well at least it's keeping it in the family!   :o

I popped down to Llansanffraid Glan Conwy ( to give it it's full name) and took the photos in Church Street.    Isfryn is the end terraced cottage on the left and I took the photo of the detached house which was situated down the passage way but can't confirm that the house is Gorphwysfa as it is now called Annedle.
The Church of St Braid's is about 100 yards further up Church Street and is on the left

Just reread your previous post and it mentions Pen Tai  (top houses)  These are terraced cottages situated in a narrow lane behind Church Street and above Isfryn.   I walked along the street today and at the end of the street directly above Isfryn is the large  Ebernezer Methodist Chapel, you can just see part of it in the photo of Isfryn.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 07:09:23 pm »
Apologies - I was confusing the two properties.  Gorphwysfa may be in Top Llan Road.