Author Topic: World Events  (Read 22360 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: World Events
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 10:52:37 pm »
Watched it, seems a bit Jeremy Corbyn to me..  ?{}?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 11:33:41 pm »
watched it and thought thank the lord I was not born in Syria,

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:51 am »
Hmm, a very simplistic view of what is a very complex and wide-ranging political and social upheaval.

It did seem simplistic and believable until they mentioned the word at the end "integration"    and they have no plans set up for that as far as I am aware.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 01:28:18 pm »
Nigel Farage in Euro parliament

by the look on Merkel's face he has hit the nail on the head!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/R5lXYw1l8l0?rel=0&autoplay=1

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 10:50:16 pm »
Nigel Farage in Euro parliament

by the look on Merkel's face he has hit the nail on the head!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/R5lXYw1l8l0?rel=0&autoplay=1

A superb and passionate speech.
Couldn't see a date, I assume it was very recently. but prior to the attacks in Paris?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 11:02:02 pm »
The date on the video was the 7th October 2015 and therefore before the attacks in Paris

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 06:32:48 pm »
Previously, I had always thought of Jeremy Corbyn as well meaning, if a bit odd and slightly deluded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34832023

Now I have to ask: 'What f****** planet is he on?'
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 10:50:26 pm »
Previously, I had always thought of Jeremy Corbyn as well meaning, if a bit odd and slightly deluded.

I must be getting old, but the more I listen to him, the more sense I think he talks.... (sometimes)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 06:04:02 am »

I must be getting old, but the more I listen to him, the more sense I think he talks.... (sometimes)

Fester, have you been drinking again..........?     _))*
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 10:40:26 pm »
Jeremy Corbyn: I'm awaiting an explanation for why Jihadi John was killed
LABOUR leader Jeremy Corbyn has suggested he WOULDN'T have ordered the killing of the depraved Islamic State (ISIS) murderer dubbed 'Jihadi John'

http://shr.gs/Y6r1DPH

Would anyone want him as their PM?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 10:16:59 am »
YES

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 12:06:08 pm »
 :o    WHO?     :o

Offline squiggle

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 11:23:18 pm »
:o    WHO?     :o
Well he certainly seems to attract sensationalist headlines!

I've only scanned the first bit of the article and as far as I could make out from that, what he wants is some sort of UN legally agreed process for any actions.  On this, I feel he may have a point. The questions over Iraq linger on..

Personally, I might also question the effectiveness of taking out the bad guys, however nasty they may be. After 9/11 we had Bin Laden and Saddam Hussien sort of identified as the centres of “all things evil”. We got both of them, have even had the rotten Gadaffi in Lybia for good measure and doubtless a few other bad eggs but I think the world is more dangerous now than it was before our “crusades”.

To me, there seems to be no shortage of others ready and able to take up the leadership and/or pursue their own new agendas where opportunities arise.  It also seems to me that there is no shortage of new raw recruits and I suspect that anything that can for example be portrayed as “the evil west” or as a “holy war” can only lead to another wave of fools (or worse) joining “the cause”. On top of this I guess there is always the question as to whether a larger power may at some point  take serious exception to some action or other.

As for Isis, I do view them as a serious threat who need dealing with and would hope that Corbyn does too. If he doesn't and/or is unwilling  to consider serious action, I probably would have issues with him… I'm a wannabe pacifist but at the moment am not fully convinced there aren't times one has to act against those ideals.

All in all then, for me, maybe I should find out more about what Corbyn is about and I don't think that will come from hysterical press headlines. 

Things I don't see, however they are are sold , include jingoistic headlines, Land of Hope and Glory style patriotisms, remembrances of WW2 glories and in particular the knee type jerk reactions that may go with them….

If Corbyn is suggesting thought and consideration before some strategic aim, ultimately for a workable peace, I might be with him…

but as one of many disclaimers I could give, I don't have the solution either...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 07:26:19 am »
That's an excellent and well reasoned exposition of the situation S. There are numerous studies concerning what makes people into suicide bombers and extremists and the only two conclusions on which they all agree appear to be that more will always step into the breach, so simply eliminating them will never solve the problem, and terrorism thrives amongst the disaffected.

But JC did make one interesting point: he queried why the UK government isn't going after those countries that fund IS. DC responded by saying IS had simply captured banks and oil wells, but that's missing the point that they were well funded prior to their emergence. Saudi Arabia funded Bin Laden's organisation, and it's widely thought that IS - being Sunni - is still funded by pro-Sunni Arab states. Once again religion is at the root of conflict.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:17 am »
Many people have suggested in the past that the removal of Border Controls throughout the Schengen area of Europe could only lead to trouble and it seems that they may well have been right. Any undesirable can enter Europe as a refugee and then have free access throughout the region, as has happened with the ringleader of the Paris plot.

Two questions are raised...do we need to reintroduce each country's Border Controls and is it not obvious that allowing unchecked migration into the EU can only result in hundreds more terrorists entering Europe unseen?