Author Topic: BID...Business Improvement District  (Read 15900 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: BID...Business Improvement District
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 12:53:43 pm »
Another link, a short one, on Truro's city council involvement with a business led initiative, which has raised £1.5million additional since it started, pumped into projects around the city.

http://www.truro.gov.uk/The-Council/Business-Improvement-District.aspx

Probably be easier to move to Truro!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:44 am »
Here's something positive, I am still looking into this subject, reading old post's etc. I remember staying in a hotel
that gave us excellent service over and above the norm, and gave a tripadvisor report, which earned the hotel top rating's, and I'm pleased to say still up there,....looking further, into Tripadvisor figures I found that apart from having some of the best hotels in the country, Llandudno is number eight on the top UK destinations list, this is fantastic, bearing in mind if you take out the major cities London, York, Edinburgh etc we are right at the top.

What I am trying to say is, if you run a business in Llandudno , encourage your clients to do a report on Tripadvisor, it's good for your business it's good for Llandudno......and it's FREE

BUT...You better make sure your business is worth a GOOD report. (just like Ormegolf No4 attraction :))

$walesflag$      $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:44 am »
Another link, a short one, on Truro's city council involvement with a business led initiative, which has raised £1.5million additional since it started, pumped into projects around the city.

http://www.truro.gov.uk/The-Council/Business-Improvement-District.aspx

Just as a matter of interest are there any other towns apart from Truro who have had success with BID?   After all, Truro's location requires it to do something to attract people as it is situated in the middle of nowhere.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 12:04:27 pm »
Hi Yorkie, Coventry have done it, but took it big time with a budget of 9 million, took on a lot of the council work, and have nearly 100 staff,  also Clifton Village on a smaller scale, but Truro's plan stands out and appears to be similar to what.... I think...Llandudno needs, they have an overall manager and two marketing staff members, not to many.

This BID has proved itself, by being voted in for a second 5 year term.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 10:19:23 am »
Just as a matter of interest are there any other towns apart from Truro who have had success with BID?   After all, Truro's location requires it to do something to attract people as it is situated in the middle of nowhere.

Following up on the above question, I found a number of towns employing "Town Managers"  Falmouth being one, but guess what, they are a Business Improvement District and in their second term.

This successful BID model has been adopted by more and more UK towns and cities with the number of BIDs standing at over 180.

http://www.falmouth.co.uk/discover-falmouth/falmouth-a-z-local-directory/falmouth-business-improvement-district-bid

180 TOWNS AND CITIES are BID'S....thats not a "flash in the pan" this is a serious business opportunity.

COMMENTS PLEASE.....

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:41:19 pm by Ian »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 11:14:37 am »
I believe that Colwyn Bay employed a Town Manager some years ago.  What happened to him or her?
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 11:30:18 am »
They came up with some good ideas, but have not been seen since they put in the foundations for  THE SKIP.. WWW

Offline SteveH

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 02:56:51 pm »
The link below should now answer most questions, ....

[quote  British BIDs is leading the way on the development, management, renewal and evolution of Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) in Britain. BIDs are business-led partnerships focused on improving and enhancing commercial areas including town and city centres, commercial locations and industrial estates.

http://www.britishbids.info/AboutBIDs/WhatisaBID.aspx

BIDs are about working in partnership and we believe that we can achieve more through collaboration than .....WORKING ALONE ......As the needs of the industry evolve and the opportunities for innovation increase, the value of shared delivery seems self evident.

This might seem like a pipe dream, but I believe a form of separate management is needed, or a smaller version of a BID, if we want things improved.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 01:02:40 pm »
I have received a reply from Neil Scott, the BID manager from Truro, with the following advice.

"In the meantime and in response to your specific question, you should form a steering group to firstly investigate through consultation with the local business community if a BID is both viable and desirable. This will need some dedicated resource (I recall this phase taking me 3-6 months working full time when I first got involved in the BID world in Reading in 2005 – I’ll explain more when we talk) so you will need the following:
 ·         Steering Group – membership from local business community (possibly the Chamber if it is active?), local authority (whilst a BID is entirely independent from the public sector, the local authority does need to sanction it). Suggest you keep it to half a dozen at this stage
·         Some project resource
·         An office
·         A PC
·         A website
So I would suggest one of the next steps is to secure a small budget for the above. Also check out the British BIDs national website – a really useful resource for developing BIDs and also for existing ones."

So that's it, that's all we have to do, easy....

Even although there has been little or no response to this idea, I would like to think, there has been a foundation laid, one that can grow, a lot of people have read and followed this thread, I hope some, from one of the business organisations,  who could explore and expand it further.
Chamber of Trade.......All businesses
Llandudno Hospitality....Hotel and Restaurant group
Llandudno Development Partnership......Xmas Fayre..etc.
Llandudno heritage Trust...Victorian Extravaganza ...Xmas lights....Gt Orme Exploration Soc....Friends of Happy Valley......the Tourist Board....Craig Y Don Business Group....North shore beach group...ETC.  Sorry for any omissions,please let me know if I have missed you out.

All of these group's and people,  put a great deal of effort and time into making Llandudno better, look at the Tripadvisor reports, Top hotels in the country, top attractions, and in the top 10 UK destination list, just look at the great result's, despite the difficulties (financial/manpower) some of these groups have to overcome.

So what would happen if they all got together.

If you have any further ideas, or comments, please get in touch, here or E mail               

Offline SteveH

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 11:28:40 am »
Steering Group

As I have been away for some time, and do not have enough local knowledge or contacts, I would like to know, who do you think, would be up to the job, either in the steering group or later on the board, a "dream team" so to speak, for the improvement of Llandudno.

Who would you propose......                         Who has the ability to pull, all the groups together........

Please send in your choice...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 01:19:10 pm »
I will nominate our own Fester.  He has vast experience in many areas of business, and personal attributes that would be of major benefit to any BID Group.

Z**
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 04:36:10 pm »
I am sorry to interrupt the steering group voting,  :)     but I have just found new information, Yorkie asked what happened to the Bay's town manager, I searched for CB's manager, but found instead ..ATCM...Association of Town Centre Management. ( thank's Yorkie) I know a lot of you, do not like long links, but if you have even the slightest interest, in this topic, it has to be read.

BID's is not a new idea....the more I look into it, the more I think we are being left behind.

Please read the full link........

https://www.atcm.org/townteamuploads/971-atcmmanifestoa42

There's more.....for those interested google "town managers assoc."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 07:58:09 pm »
Well done  COLWYN BAY  you already have a town manager, and are members of ATCM, with support from the Welsh Assemby.

$walesflag$   $good$    $walesflag$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 10:52:03 am »
Another group to add to the above list....

Llandudno Coastal Forum

Made up from..Restore our Beach....Destination Conwy....Llandudno Sailing Club.....Llandudno Town council......CBCC..(M.Priestley).....Llandudno Hospitality........Mostyn Est......Ships Timbers....

http://www.llandudnocoastalforum.co.uk/agenda-minutes-of-meeting-28th-august-2014/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:32 am »