Author Topic: BID...Business Improvement District  (Read 15902 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
BID...Business Improvement District
« on: August 30, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »
During a recent discussion on "Llandudno xmas lights" or lack off, I looked at how other towns coped, and posted

some links, on that thread, a couple of towns came up, but Truro in Cornwall stuck out, they had got involved with a BID.

Business Improvement District.  Over the last week I kept going back and reading more, this morning I found this link.

http://www.enjoytruro.co.uk/assets/Documents/Totally_Truro_Business_Plan_May_2012.pdf

http://www.enjoytruro.co.uk/about    (This link is the main site.)

It's a long read, but interesting, there's a lot of debate on the forum, or complaining about a range of subjects,

usually at the council or CCBC, not dealing with them, could BID be the answer?

It is aimed more at business, rather than the individual, but there seems to be a bit more control, rather than with the

Council.

I am not sure myself, but I keep going back and reading this link, so would like to hear other views and opinions.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: BID...Business Improvement District
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:37:36 pm »
Personally, I think it would be a very good idea to have a BID. One that worked closely with CCBC could achieve a lot for the town.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:54:07 pm »
 $thanx$  DaveR.         Still hoping for further debate, for and against.

I will post relevant links as I find them, this Daily Post item, would not copy/paste so please Google...

"Llandudno Business Forum  for hard times."      I think this group would be for the BID ?.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:56:24 pm »
Is the Llandudno Chamber of Trade still going ?, if so and your reading this please get in touch, every problem mentioned seems to be covered by  BID

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/llandudno-chamber-trade-fight-issues-2646722

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:01:42 pm »
Is the Llandudno Chamber of Trade still going ?, if so and your reading this please get in touch, every problem mentioned seems to be covered by  BID

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/llandudno-chamber-trade-fight-issues-2646722

Since that article of 2012, I cannot recall having seen any more about it, but then, I am not in business in the Town.  Ann Yates can be contacted by email, all Councillors details are on the Council Web Site, www.llandudno.gov.uk or The Town Clerk may be able to assist.   ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:11:39 pm »
 $thanx$  Yorkie,   will give it a go..

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:56 pm »
I am in the process of contacting former chamber of trade members, as mentioned above, especially those who tried to reform the organisation.
A Business Improvement District, is designed to help businesses, that's why they pay the levy, they invest in the towns services to gain more customers, but in improving these services the town wins, so do we as residents of Llandudno.

I am surprised by the lack of input, FOR or AGAINST this topic, reading previous threads and comments, there have been a lot complaints and suggestions for improving services etc. across the forum, so just in case it is not
clear, I will list below just some of the benefits I think we could gain, bearing in mind this would be over and above the services already provided.

Mostyn St., ....."the decline of the High St." A  BID group would deal with dirty empty shops, overnight street cleansing,extra planting and seating, more litter bins, these are just some of the issues raised in the past.

Local Attractions.....Happy Valley, Heulfre Gdn's. all garden areas would benefit, North shore?..museums etc.

Existing local groups would gain, the BID would raise additional funds and support for ie. Friends of Happy Valley
and the Extravaganza, our biggest crowd puller and major asset.

Christmas....is a big one, a BID puts a lot of time effort and money into it...... "XMAS LIGHTS" and themes again more funds and support for the organising group.       Also fireworks.

Car parking and coaches, always problems.

And they work with other local organisations,  the council, Venue Cymru, tourist board to make the most of what we have,
a BID works by improving services over and above council baselines.

So please help...COMMENT......if it does not get support here, on the forum it's got no chance.   $thanx$

PS Admin is it possible to link a poll to this thread. Ta.

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:26 pm »
Seems like a great idea to me.  But there need to be enough people to do the work necessary to get it off the ground, which is where I think Llandudno lets itself down. I noticed that Oscar has been querying recent efforts via the Chamber of Commerce to tidy up Maddock street, which staggers me. I know that site is intended to reflect one person's view, but a lot of people seem to agree with what he/she has to say.

Personally, I would put Xmas lights fairly low down the list of priorities. Llandudno has a real opportunity to be a bit different, rather than copy the 'standard' model.  I would suggest outdoor and sporting events such as next week's Tour of Britain, the annual Triathlon, various running and cycling events etc. being a good thing to promote.  But too often, these things come and go with little publicity and hence the opportunities to get a return and promote Llandudno are missed. I am sure this is something where a BID could make a real difference.

The recent issues of rocks on the beach is a prime example where Llandudno gets things wrong, but a BID could help. I would love the North Beach to have more sand, but I don't think many visitors to Llandudno really expect it to be a bucket and spade destination. Yet we have the West Shore, that hardly gets a mention. Why Llandudno is not promoted as the town with two beaches, one with its Victorian Pier and Prom; and the other family friendly beach with sand and swimming is totally beyond me.

On a smaller scale, Craig y Don businesses have started meeting to see how they can promote themselves better and make Craig y Don a destination for customers. The next meeting is this Thursday 4th September at 5:30pm in Coffee V, if anyone is interested.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:23:01 pm »
Thanks andyCYD,    all good comments, and I agree with all of them, and good luck to Craig Y Don. please let them know about this idea perhaps they would like to join in.

Your remark's on "enough people" I have just contacted Truro's BID manager and asked how they got started, lets hope he has the time to reply.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 03:58:11 pm »
Trouble is that alot of these so called schemes are somewhat half hearted and don't get carried on.
Workmen began replacing dangerous paving slabs-- but have disappeared.
Hearts and flowers appeared at the corner of Madoc St and Lloyd St--where are the other parts of the scheme?
North Shore 'kiddies corner' revamped and cleaned, now looks grim again.
No sign of anyone patrolling West Shore recently, thus lots of dogs running loose.
Road signs for various events left cluttering street corners well after the date.

Well you did ask  :o ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 05:26:33 pm »
Thanks Nemesis, every comment welcome ...For or Against,....... but I need to point out this is not a scheme, it would involve a 5 year contract, it is a 5 year business plan, payed for by local businesses to increase the footfall of customers, therefore profit, and if the BID do not meet their targets they do not get voted back in, so there are financial repercussions for them, if they do not meet their aims.

A BID improves the services of a town, to increase business, but, we gain from those improvements

Both the links in the first post have a lot of info. and really need to be read, I keep going over them, and so far I think it is worth further investigation.

A BID also knows about available government funds and how to get them.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 05:58:48 pm »
If the main beneficeries of the scheme are the shops and businesses then why don't they get off their backsides and support such schemes.  Wrex can tell you the problems with getting support in his efforts with Xmas Lights and the Extravaganza.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »
Yorkie we have seen it all before, they start a business, they get in a rut, or they lack experience, also I was very surprised to find the chamber of trade had stopped functioning, but I never found the chamber had much clout or financial backing.

I think I understand what Wrex is going through, and it was his problems which started my search, after reading
Truro's history with BID I thought if we could get enough interest we could push the idea forward, and get the funding these groups deserve.

The other problem will be convincing businesses to "spend to accumulate" the bigger ones M&S etc already have been involved with BID'S, but the smaller ones, the ones who need it, I am afraid they are the ones sitting on there backsides, waiting for somebody else to do something.

It's also the smaller ones who will gain more from this, they will get professional help in marketing, image and an internet profile, some of the local web pages might as well not be there. If I am correct the cost for smaller businesses is between £100 to £150 pa It is a small price to pay, but if everybody joined...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 07:18:25 pm »
Thanks andyCYD,    all good comments, and I agree with all of them, and good luck to Craig Y Don. please let them know about this idea perhaps they would like to join in.

Your remark's on "enough people" I have just contacted Truro's BID manager and asked how they got started, lets hope he has the time to reply.

Truro's BID manager Neil Scott has been in touch and would be pleased to "share his experiences and thoughts"

We are arranging to talk by phone later this week.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:16 am »
Another link, a short one, on Truro's city council involvement with a business led initiative, which has raised £1.5million additional since it started, pumped into projects around the city.

http://www.truro.gov.uk/The-Council/Business-Improvement-District.aspx