Author Topic: Where's that building?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline BrianP

Where's that building?
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:54:35 pm »
Hello,
I've just come across two photographs on the rootschat web-site, showing stonemasons, possibly at the back of what was known as Council Street, Llandudno, but now known as Norman Road and Norman Way. Link:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,499646.0.html
Brian
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:30:25 pm by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: R. L. Roberts Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:59:20 am »
That area has undergone quite a few changes over the years, let's see if the forum readers can spot anything they recognise.

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:14 pm »
It looks like a work yard that R L Roberts had with that fixed crane, but the layout of the houses behind doesn't remind me of the early Council Street that I can remember.
Apart from that the houses are 3 storeys high with high pitched rooves and that again doesn't remind me of the old Council Street.
The Conwy Archives has rate books and the yard will be listed in it so that could establish it's location. An other place of early industrial work was Back Madoc Street, it could even be there.  The photo looks like the early 1900's   

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:21:11 pm »
Some of the houses in Oxford road have 3 storeys, Hugo. The good old 1929 directory has Builder and Contractor Robt.L.Roberts in Builder street. No stonemasons listed.

Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »
I think the crane is an early Butters Derrick!    8)

Online Hugo

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:58 pm »
With what you have said Suepp it must be Builder Street that is on the left in the photo and Oxford Road straight ahead. Council Street would have been to the right but is out of sight.
The photo must have been taken behind and  near where the old dairy used to be in Builder  Street. That old 1929 Street Index of yours has come up trumps again.    ;)

Online Hugo

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:38:00 pm »
I was in the area today so I took these photos of the houses with red roofs at the rear of Oxford Road and also photos of the rear of Council Street (now Norman Road)
I was in Norman way when I took them and was surprised to see that the Council Street houses were in fact 3 storeys although the remaining houses in the street are two storeys.