Author Topic: Sailing  (Read 15098 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Sailing
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 01:39:52 pm »
Jellyfish at the start of the race.......(white sails)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »
Thanks SteveH. Yes it has been a bit addictive following the race and it was exciting yesterday when the multi hull arrived back in Cowes just beating the previously set world record by about 10 minutes. Our boys on Jellyfish have got a lot more sailing to do yet but at least they have rounded the top of Shetland now.

Offline hollins

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 07:29:01 am »
I don't know if anyone is still with the sailing race but Jellyfish is on the home run and is having a real battle with British Soldier to stay first in class.
There have been few blogs but some of the ones written from the boats have been quite interesting. Many boats had horrendous conditions in the far north west of Scotland on Sunday. There have been ten retirements.
Here is a link to the blogs.
http://roundbritainandireland.rorc.org/newsblogsphotos.html

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 08:35:19 am »
The far N of Scotland route is quite an unnerving passage. We've done quite a bit of sailing off Scotland but that's a route only the best attempt.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 09:45:40 am »
Hi Hollins, Yes still watching, I'm saying nothing for now.... ££$.......fingers crossed.

Offline hollins

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:26 am »
Thanks for your support Steve. It is updating every 15 mins now so I am not getting my jobs done!
Some friends and family have gone out on a motor boat to welcome than back. If we get some photos I will put them on here.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 02:51:06 pm »
GREAT JOB....fantastic race .....!st. in their class... the race between "Jellyfish" and "British Soldier" deserves a medal for both crews....please pass on my best wishes......and   $thanx$  for letting us join in.

$good$                                                           $good$                                                           $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:38 pm »
Thanks Steve, how kind of you to support them. I will tell him he has had the Three Towns Forum cheering them on.
It was quite an achievement for anyone to finish it at all.
I am sure we will get some good stories. I bet they are desperate for a shower or maybe a beer or two!

Offline hollins

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 10:57:22 pm »
Here are some photos as promised.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 07:53:41 am »
Excellent achievement.  Round the world race, next?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 09:39:28 am »
Seeing the photos THANKS... brings home just what they did, remarkable, well done again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 06:55:24 pm »
Hi Hollins,       $thanx$      $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 04:54:05 pm »
Not sure if anyone will be interested now Steve H has gone off the radar but my intrepid brother in law is setting off on another sailing adventure today.

Here is a link to the tracking page. He is on Spirit of Juno.

http://caribbean600.rorc.org/Tracking-Players/2015-fleet-tracking.html

Unfortunately he isn't very confident about the boat this time as you might tell from this rather pessimistic note he sent us yesterday.

"Our training week has largely consisted of breaking things - sails mainly. They have been repaired overnight, so today's job is refitting them. Our actual sailing practices haven't been too successful as a result!  The boat is quite old and not too well maintained, which mainly explains the problems.

The marina is crammed with many absolutely fantastic boats, many pro crew, and lots of last minute tweaking going on this morning after the pre-race party last night. We need to get out in the bay for more basic work - refitting our mainsail and our two jibs to see if the sailmaker has managed to get them into a vaguely serviceable state overnight."

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »
Sounds like he has his hands full. And older boats don't usually race too well, since the newer materials and hull shapes tend to be faster, so I can understand his gloom.

Offline hollins

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 03:00:39 pm »
Amazingly they did finish albeit in 14th place in their class out of 15!

He sent us this message before setting off for his next adventure.

" Our generator packed up during night one, our windex and chart plotter were absent, and our only useable kite destroyed itself also on day one. So it was an interesting race, especially as navigator. I expect some of our moves will have looked bizarre, but the currents and tides and winds dictated most of them, honest!  We finished in a completely knackered old tub, and with a crew most of whom were clueless, had some fantastic sailing, no one (of 16) got hurt much, and on the whole huge fun. A race to do again.
 Hopefully I will recover from this morning's hangover, survive the main after race party tonight and set off first thing tomorrow morning for Galapagos via Miami and Ecuador (not sure which airport!). Then onwards to Hiva Oa, in the Marquesses Islands, goodness knows how that will all work out, but will hopefully be interesting. "

On 4 March he will leave the Galapagos on a huge catamaran called Makena.

http://www.worldcruising.com/world_arc/world_arc/eventfleetviewer.aspx