Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193514 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #405 on: April 20, 2016, 06:16:44 pm »
I carried on to Dyserth today just to see if the Wild Garlic was in flower, some were out but the sunny weather over the last few days should help them on their way.
We then had a quick walk on the disused railway track and it was nice to see so many people taking advantage of today's sunny weather

Offline Hugo

« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2016, 04:36:49 pm »
As the weather was ok today I had a look around Deganwy Castle.    The gorse bushes were in flower as were the Bluebells and although there is a bit of a steep pull up to the top, the views in all directions are worth the effort.

Offline hollins

« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:12 pm »
Our Swiss visitors were fascinated by the gorse bushes. They were taking photos of themselves by them. It makes you look at them in a new light and appreciate them.

Offline Jack

« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2016, 08:58:40 pm »
Love the smell of gorse this time of year; very versatile too - used to be grown and harvested for use as an animal feed, in particular for horses, although it had to be shredded and 'bruised' first. That's why there used to be gorse mills. Apparently there was one in Mochdre in Victorian times!

Offline hollins

« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:06 pm »
Thanks for that info Jack. I had no idea about that before.
"You learn something every day!"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #410 on: April 28, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
I had intended to walk through the Bluebell wood at Maenan to the viewpoint at Cadair Ifan Goch but by the time I reached the car park it was raining heavily so that put an end to that idea.
I took these two photos when I went down the lane from the car park to the A470

Offline Hugo

« Reply #411 on: May 13, 2016, 10:52:00 am »
After enjoying a nice walk yesterday we stopped and had a coffee at Surf Snowdonia and watched the surfers doing their stuff on the waves.   There were some good surfers there who made it look easy but it's not without it's risks as one surfer I spoke to had his wet suit pierced by the fin on his board

Offline Hugo

« Reply #412 on: May 24, 2016, 02:50:36 pm »
We had a nice walk around this pretty village today.    It's many years since we have been but it still remains unspoilt

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #413 on: May 24, 2016, 03:11:34 pm »
Llanasa?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #414 on: May 24, 2016, 04:06:08 pm »
Llanasa?

I'm glad that you recognised it Bri but no points for that     :-[

The Red Lion used to be a great pub in the 1970's but I haven't been there since, but it did look smart from the outside

Offline Hugo

« Reply #415 on: June 23, 2016, 06:04:55 pm »
I enjoyed a nice walk in the warm sunshine  along the front in Llanfairfechan today.     It's a nice flat stretch for easy walking and the wind from the Menai Straits was surprisingly warm.

Offline hollins

« Reply #416 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:27 pm »
Looks lovely Hugo.
We too took advantage of the lovely weather and enjoyed a rare day out together!
Yesterday Mr H was climbing peaks but today it was a trip to Bodnant and the seaside for us.
Looked for DVT at Bodnant but sorry I couldn't find you. We did call in on Fester for some supplies though. I will put my pics of Bodnant on the gardening thread.
Called in at the revamped Mulberry pub at Conwy Marina. Really impressed with the decor but we thought the menu was rather uninspiring so after a drink we retreated to Enoch's for fish and chips.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2016, 12:13:22 am »
... and a very great pleasure it was to see you both Mrs H!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #418 on: June 27, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »
On Saturday, Tellytubby and I had three very short walks.  The first was to Whitford because I wanted to see the Pharos and Maen Achwyfan.
The Pharos is believed to be a 17th Century watchtower, built to give warning of pirate raids and in those days it would have had far reaching views across the Irish Sea.    Maen Achwyfan  "lamentation stone"  is a carved stone from the  10th century but it's function is uncertain.

We then went on to Llyn Helyg which was a large lake concealed behind high trees and we were lucky to see it at its best.  On the "path" around the lake we were stung numerous times by the nettles so it's going to be a long while before we go back again

The third and final one was just a walk around the pretty village of Llanasa which was holding its annual open garden and scarecrow day.  it was a complete surprise to me but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and will put it in my calendar for next year.     We were so engrossed in the atmosphere of every thing that was going  on that Tellytubby  overlooked the fact that he should have been home an hour before to take his wife to the BBQ.       I bet the  $fan$      $smack$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #419 on: August 22, 2016, 10:37:55 pm »