Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193509 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #390 on: December 28, 2015, 10:06:53 am »

'Tidal wave' devastates Plas Cadnant Hidden Gardens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35186881
          I saw the footage of this on BBC Wales News last night and the poor owner was absolutely devastated as he has spent the last 20 years building up these gardens for the pleasure of the public. I had never been but after seeing Hugo's pictures last year I was planning to do so in the future. He obviously had put his heart and soul into the business and it is a real tragedy for him as they were beautiful and a real labour of love.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #391 on: December 30, 2015, 10:32:05 pm »
After a short walk on Tuesday  to Aber Falls, Tellytubby and I had a drive to Beaumaris.    The road was closed due to a landslip between Gallows Point and the town of Beaumaris so we had to take the narrow country lane from Llandegfan to get there.
We had our refreshments in the shelter at the end of the pier and then had a quick walk around the town.   The water in the moat had gone down after the recent flooding but the Castle was closed.  It was interesting to see the metal rings in the wall where Edward I's boats used to moor up to.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #392 on: December 30, 2015, 10:37:04 pm »
Coming back from Beaumaris,   I wanted to show Tellytubby Dylan's Restaurant in Menai Bridge.     We stopped there for a while and took some photos while I chose my next car ( if only!)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #393 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:10 pm »
We had a walk in Cwm Eigiau today and although the conditions were far from perfect we still enjoyed the rugged beauty of this remote valley.    I've taken some photos of Cedryn  one of just a few isolated properties there, as Hiraeth and Squiggle have fond memories of the cottage and the area

Offline Hugo

« Reply #394 on: February 18, 2016, 10:49:09 pm »
I passed through Tal Y Cafn this morning and stopped to have a walk across the bridge, the river Conwy was like a mill pond and the reflections in the water looked good in the Winter sunshine.
It was interesting to see that the family  tailoring business of H Ogwen Evans is still carrying on in the wooden shop by the railway station.
I've included a photo taken in the 1920's when it was run by Evan Ogwen Evans, (the man standing by the door with a tape measure around his neck)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2016, 12:52:51 am »
We had a ride around the area yesterday and saw the Mare's Tails waterfall in Gwydir Forest and carried on to have a look at Moel Siabod,  Snowdon,  Tryfan  and Y Garn.    They all had a light covering of snow on them but it must have been freezing on the summits as it was pretty cold in the valleys once we got out of the car.

Offline hollins

« Reply #396 on: February 19, 2016, 09:09:41 am »
What a lovely day out you had Hugo. We used to go for days out and about in the car but we don't seem to have done that for ages. You have inspired us!
Loved the photos especially the first one, the ones of the mountains and the tailors shop. Amazing that they are still going.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #397 on: February 19, 2016, 10:38:00 am »
We didn't go for a walk this time so it was nice to sit back and enjoy the places we visited.  North Wales has so many beautiful and interesting places to see, so we are very lucky to be living in the area.
Our day was finished with a nice piece of cake and a latte in Betws Y Coed and then back home.    $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #398 on: February 19, 2016, 12:36:00 pm »
Many years ago I had a booklet called "The Captain's guide to hidden haunts in North Wales" and my wife and I used to spend many hours travelling around the area looking for them, it was very enjoyable and we did find most of them.
It's nice to get ideas from the Forum members too.  If it wasn't for Pendragon we would never have known about the Mare's Tails waterfall that we saw yesterday and my photos don't really do the waterfall justice. Also Nemesis and her love of Barmouth, we walked from Penmaenpool on the cycle track to Barmouth then had fish & chips in the best chippy in Wales and finished it by a bus ride back to Penmaenpool and a drink on the balcony of the George III hotel.  A really lovely day out.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #399 on: February 19, 2016, 02:36:30 pm »
Many years ago I had a booklet called "The Captain's guide to hidden haunts in North Wales" and my wife and I used to spend many hours travelling around the area looking for them, it was very enjoyable and we did find most of them.
It's nice to get ideas from the Forum members too.  If it wasn't for Pendragon we would never have known about the Mare's Tails waterfall that we saw yesterday and my photos don't really do the waterfall justice. Also Nemesis and her love of Barmouth, we walked from Penmaenpool on the cycle track to Barmouth then had fish & chips in the best chippy in Wales and finished it by a bus ride back to Penmaenpool and a drink on the balcony of the George III hotel.  A really lovely day out.

I too had The Captains Guide, somehow that went somewhere, but I still have a 1972 copy of " Hidden Haunts in Wales" and a copy of " Hidden Haunts in Gwynedd". We used them to death whilst here on holiday when our daughter was young. Many of the places no longer exist, such as Cae Daffyd and Hafodty, but looking through them brings back lots of memories including walking down to Nant Gwrtheyrn............and back, when it was just ruins. We must have only been young, but it nearly killed the 3 of us !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »
We did Nant Gwrtheyrn too in the early 1970's when the village was just a ruin and there was only a dirt track down to the place.   We swam in the sea and then had to hike back up on the hottest day of the year!     It was horrendous.
We had a coastal walk there last year but made sure that one of the cars was parked in the village.   The steepness was worse than I could remember and it was bad enough just driving up the tarmac road.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »
We went again a few years back, in a brand new car and my OH took one look at the road and we didn't go down ! Mind you, it was heaving it down at the time !

We spent many holidays driving in the Los Picos de Europa in Northern Spain and those roads were pretty scary, but Nant Gwrtheyrn takes some beating.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2016, 04:08:27 pm »
If you do go back and the weather is good then it's worth going down to see what the place is like now.     They have improved it no end and there's a cafe there too.
Just make sure your brakes are working ok

Offline Hugo

« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:03 pm »
I popped out to get some compost from Talgoed Nursery and noticed that there had been a snowfall last night on the high peaks of the Carneddau.  It looked quite impressive in the Spring sunshine.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #404 on: April 20, 2016, 04:51:46 pm »
We had a walk around the Rhuddlan Nature Reserve this afternoon.    Not so long ago it was an area of derelict land  but now the reserve provides an ideal habitat for nesting and feeding birds and is already home to many species including kingfishers, otters, coots, moor hens, herons and water voles; and has  a view of Rhuddlan Castle and the National Cycle Route runs through it
We saw a Moorhen's nest with 6 eggs in it and while the eggs were there in the warm Spring sunshine, the parents weren't far away and were keeping an eye on the nest.