Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193500 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 08:21:24 am »
Great photos, Stan.  $cool$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 09:06:43 am »
We obviously haven't explored that area well enough, must open my eyes next time!      *&(

We had no idea of the snowdrops' existence and had been going to Gwydir for donkey's years. Someone came back and told us, so we went for a look.
If you go onto Google Maps and enlarge on Gwydir Uchaf Chapel you can see the spiral of hedges where they grow behind same.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 10:37:17 am »
Great photos, Stan.  $cool$

Ooh! Thanks Dave   :-[

Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 11:53:07 am »
If you go onto Google Maps and enlarge on Gwydir Uchaf Chapel you can see the spiral of hedges where they grow behind same.

Never been to the chapel as we have always used the other road.  Will explore more of the area now.  Thanks.   $thanx$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 02:48:18 pm »

Never been to the chapel as we have always used the other road.  Will explore more of the area now.  Thanks.   $thanx$

You're very welcome, never yet managed to get inside the actual chapel, but it is a lovely setting.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 05:10:18 pm »
I went there on one of my walks and the leader of the walk was a retired Head Forester who lived one time in one of the cottages near to the Chapel. He did explain the purpose of the spiral hedge but I couldn't have been paying too much attention as I've forgotten what he said.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 03:42:21 pm »
Another nice place to have a stroll around in the Summer is Beddgelert. A very pretty village with a nice atmosphere even if it can be busy in the high season.  It's well worth a visit and the ice creams are delicious, there's a nice old cafe by the bridge too!       :)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 03:57:05 pm »
Thanks for the pics Hugo, you have satisfied my curiosity !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:52 pm »
Yes, Beddgelert is beautiful,  nicer than Betws Y Coed in my opinion.... had a lovely day there earlier this year, and rode the steam train to Waunfawr and beyond for over an hour.
Excellent place.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 10:50:15 pm »
Beddgelert is very nice and it's known by some at the Ffnestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway as 'Dead dog city'
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 12:02:04 am »
Beddgelert is very nice and it's known by some at the Ffnestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway as 'Dead dog city'

The dead dog being Gelert, Bedd being its grave,.... faithful hound (supposedly) of Llewelyn The Great.
Fester...

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 02:37:13 pm »
Unfortunatly a story brought from south wales by a fella who needed to attract the newly travelling victorians (or before) to his new pub. So he began the story off for that purpose. I was gutted when I read about it in an old book.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »
Beddgelert translated into English is Celert's grave but the story of Llewelyn's dog was made up by the owner of the Goat Hotel to boost tourism in 1801.   However the name of the village was called Beddgelert long before David Pritchard arrived at the Goat Hotel but I don't know who exactly Celert was. I seem to remember reading that there was a Holy Building in the area and perhaps the name could have come from there.     ???

Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
On the gravestone is the following tale:

"In the 13th century Llewelyn, prince of North Wales, had a palace at Beddgelert. One day he went hunting without Gelert, "The Faithful Hound", who was unaccountably absent.

On Llewelyn's return the truant, stained and smeared with blood, joyfully sprang to meet his master. The prince alarmed hastened to find his son, and saw the infant's cot empty, the bedclothes and floor covered with blood.

The frantic father plunged his sword into the hound's side, thinking it had killed his heir. The dog's dying yell was answered by a child's cry.

Llewelyn searched and discovered his boy unharmed, but near by lay the body of a mighty wolf which Gelert had slain.

The prince filled with remorse is said never to have smiled again. He buried Gelert here".

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »
 :o :o :o???

Llewelyn never smiled again?
I hope he was also prevented from owning a pet for at least five years, by the local magistrates court!

Fester...