Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193424 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Exploring The Area
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:28:11 pm »
I have started this topic as there are so many great places to explore in this district (and the wider North Wales area)

I was tempted to add my journey of today to the 'Walking' topic,  but that wouldn't be fair as much of my journey was by car.....due to my very dodgy knees.

Today the Festers were at a loose end, so we set off to Anglesey.
We decided to traverse the Britannia Bridge first, and stop off at Llanfair PG,  never been before and I loved it... so I took a picture which I hope appears at the end of this post.
We pottered about in the shops and picked up some nice Xmas bits and bobs.

From there we drove the short distance to Beaumaris, which was as bright but bitterly cold as anywhere today.
We looked at the Castle, where the moat was partially frozen!
Then we had a walk on the Jetty (can't call it a Pier)... seems to me that this jetty has been made narrower over the years, the piles are arranged for a much wider structure.
We went along the promenade and then called into the most excellent Red Boat Cafe on Castle Street.
The food and the prices were excellent.  Mmmm, Lemon Drizzle Cake, with 2 layers of fresh cream and icing on top,  plus a superb cappucino all for £3.80
The Ham, Cheese and Onion panini was excellent value at £3.85, and it came with full salad and is in a half-baguette.

From there, we took a look at Bangor Pier, but from the Anglesey side.... before we took a walk and drive through Menai Bridge, and I was surprised just how much was open today, and what a great little place Menai Bridge is.  I will go again when its a little warmer.

Drove back accross Menai Bridge this time... and absorbed the breath-taking scenery of the Estuary and the snow covered mountains.
There was so much that caught my eye, that on a day when I have more time I will go back to investigate.
Disused Piers, beautiful buildings, woodland walks etc...

I didn't even have my camera, only my phone, so if anything appears after this posting I apologise for the quality.
Here goes...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:34:10 pm by DaveR »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »
Sounds like a great day's exploring.  :)

Beaumaris is one of my favourite places to visit - a perfect little seaside town - the pier was a lot larger up until the 1970s but plans are afoot to widen it to its original width and extend the pierhead. There used to be a cafe on the end, where the shelter is now. The Red Boat Cafe is fairly new, I've never yet managed to get into it as it's always packed in the Summer! The Pier House Cafe on the promenade is a pleasant substitute, or coffee in the Bulkeley Hotel is like going back in time.

Summer Holiday by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »
Sounds like you had a very nice day Fester, glad you enjoyed it. There are so many nice places in the area and that you can get to by not too much walking.
A little further from Beaumaris is Penmon which is very pretty but save that for a nicer day.
Llanberis also is an under rated little gem and there is a lot going on there, mainly in the summer but the museums are still open in the Winter.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »
Thanks Hugo,
I saw your Penmon walk description earlier in the year....I will get round to that one.

Llanberis is a place we have been many times (in our tourist days)  We used to strike out into Snowdonia from our bases at either Rhuthin Castle or Llandudno.

I know there are many, many other places for us to explore and I also look forward to others posting their journeys on here too.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:05:33 pm »
Next time you go to 'The Island' go and see the lions and the Church at Llanfair PG. The walk down the churchyard is fascinating--all the poor souls who have perished in the strait have graves on a path going down to the water's edge and then-- there is Nelson !!
The lions in particular are a sight not to be mised.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:15:42 pm »
There are always campaigns to get the lions lifted up to road level and they certainly should be on show - they would be a fantastic way to announce you are entering Anglesey.

britannia_bridge by alanfrombangor, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:19:06 pm by DaveR »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:35:31 am »
Hi Fester, looks like a great day you two had there and some great pics too, I used to like the old jail in Beaumaris years ago and the Museum of Childhood too, I wonder if they are still open as I have not been there for years!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:44:44 am »
Gaol is still open but the Museum of Childhood went about 5 years ago.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »
Always an interesting little drive lasting maybe an hour or just over, is to go down one side of the Conwy valley to B Y C and back up the other. As we live on the outskirts of Conwy we usually drive down the west side and back up the east, but this afternoon we reversed the trip and went down the east and back up the west.

The sun was shining brightly but there was a mist shrouding the river for long stretches giving the valley an almost magical and mystical appearance.

The picture below was taken from the west side just south of Gwydir Castle and therefore in shade - perhaps half an hour earlier and the sun would have really been highlighting the slopes opposite.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 07:50:43 pm by Bellringer »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 05:27:47 pm »
And another looking straight across the valley from the same spot.

Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 05:30:53 pm »
Another interesting couple of miles is to go into Gwydyr Forest just as you turn from the main road into the road to BYC opposite Gwdyr Castle and follow the road (track) through to the Ugly House.  There are some stunning views on route,

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »
You'll find these ruins on the way too.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 07:54:38 pm »
Another interesting couple of miles is to go into Gwydyr Forest just as you turn from the main road into the road to BYC opposite Gwdyr Castle and follow the road (track) through to the Ugly House.  There are some stunning views on route,

You are absolutely right Yorkie, we love driving that length too but not when there is too much traffic coming the opposite way! It was best to stick to the major roads down there today though.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 09:21:26 pm »
In about another month or so it is worth going up to Gwydir Uchaf Chapel to see the spiral of snowdrops behind the chapel building. They are worth a visit.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 07:44:58 am »
We obviously haven't explored that area well enough, must open my eyes next time!      *&(