Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 196875 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #360 on: September 29, 2014, 12:02:42 pm »
Fabulous, thanks.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2014, 10:23:38 pm »
Mrs Fester and I, went to Penrhyn Castle today, and as Dave says, you can take photos, but not with Flash.

The castle, grounds and gardens are incredibly impressive, as are the sumptuous decorations and room displays.

The mistake we made was to go up the 173 stairs to the roof of the Keep.  Not because of the effect on my ageing knees, but because of a serious infestation of flies which made it unbearable.
The warm weather has made untold millions of flies hatch out, and are swarming everywhere.  It was like something from a horror movie trying to get out of there.

We then sat in the walled garden and saw those incredibly large 'rhubarb' type plants.  (took a few pics, as you do)

From there, a drink outside The Gladstone in Penmaenmawr, and off to The Cottage Loaf, Llandudno, for an excellent meal.
A great day out, and a fantastic 'Castle' which I would strongly recommend that everyone should visit.

I might buy it!!   :laugh:

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #362 on: January 06, 2015, 07:38:09 pm »
I had lunch today in Brown's Brasserie in Manchester. It was originally Parr's Bank and it has an amazing interior.
Here is a link which has some interesting photos and a bit of history about it.

http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/tours/tour5/area5page51.html

I have also added a few of my own photos. It is beautifully restored with the managers office now a small dining room.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2015, 01:19:41 am »
Mrs Fester and I spent New Year's Eve in there Hollins..... and several other wine bars in that area.    (Alchemist, Rosso's etc)

They really are superb, and a lesson to anyone in how to run a wine bar / brasserie type business.  $drink1$

We often visit Brown's, if we are visiting Leeds or Manchester, I believe there are others too.

Your photographs really do it justice. $good$ $good$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #364 on: January 07, 2015, 08:47:49 am »
Thanks. I hadn't realised until yesterday how many branches there were now. I remember going to one in Oxford about 20 years ago! They seem to chose interesting old buildings for their venues.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: January 07, 2015, 09:10:52 am »
Thanks. I hadn't realised until yesterday how many branches there were now. I remember going to one in Oxford about 20 years ago! They seem to chose interesting old buildings for their venues.
There are 27 branches now, looks a lovely place to visit:
http://www.browns-restaurants.co.uk/home/

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #366 on: January 28, 2015, 06:41:54 pm »
Following on from Hugo's comments on West Shore winds today the winds this afternoon on a walk round Penmon Point were not quite as strong as we expected them to be but it was extremely bracing (ie Cold). Being a cheapskate at heart we also called in at Waitrose in Menai Bridge on the way back for a free coffee and noticed that from 9th Feb only coffee from self service machines (there are non in Menai) will be free.

Offline hollins

« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2015, 06:49:36 pm »
I've done that in Waitrose. Have you seen the new one in Chester? Unusual building for the city with all that copper. It will be interesting to see how it weathers.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #368 on: January 28, 2015, 09:16:26 pm »
I always thought the one in Chester was the Little Waitrose in the City Centre.Which apparently is closing because of the the new one. Is it the one in Broughton/Tarvin that's just (November) opened?

Offline hollins

« Reply #369 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »
Yes it is at Boughton, on the left, A51 as you are driving towards Vicars Cross. They have closed the Little Waitrose and the new one opened in time for Christmas. They built it ever so quickly and were still putting the copper on after it had opened.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #370 on: January 29, 2015, 02:31:45 pm »
I received an e-mail last week from Waitrose saying as from 9th February they are asking all myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy their free tea or coffee in one of their cafes to also purchase a treat (sandwich, cake, biscuit or fruit.)
The self service machine at Menai Bridge branch will be on the customer service counter, you will have to show your card to a member of staff before you help yourself.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #371 on: January 29, 2015, 05:17:45 pm »
Thanks for the update. The coffee was really nice from there the other day.

Offline hollins

« Reply #372 on: March 20, 2015, 05:16:34 pm »
As already mentioned in the quiz section I was drawn up the hill out of the town to visit Denbigh Castle yesterday by a beautiful looking sculpture in a wall. It was such a beautiful day and I was so glad I made the effort as the views from there were worth the trip alone.

Offline hollins

« Reply #373 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:42 pm »
A few more pics of Denbigh Castle.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:54 am »
We paid a visit to Bodnant on Sunday, to take a look at the recently opened new section of garden called the 'Far End'. It's a sizeable extension to the existing garden, extending the river valley section of the garden up to the Skating Pond, and is well worth a visit. It all still looks a bit 'new' but will be fantastic once the planting/landscaping settles down a bit.