Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193527 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2014, 11:35:29 am »
Ian, is it possible for Fester to pre-book online a return ticket, walk up to the summit and return back down on his designated train as per his timed ticket?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2014, 12:26:51 pm »
For the fourth Sunday in a row, we went to Port Eirias where I wanted to launch my toy pond yacht.  As usual the upper area was coned off so that about 2/3rds of the available parking area was reserved for water sports users.  Although there were empty spaces there was no way the Council SS were going to allow a mere pond yacht owner access to the area!   RESERVED for Colwyn Bay Water Ski Club was the short reply I received, no one else is allowed.   I took pains to point out the some folk had laid out a couple of parking bays with camping chairs and such impedimenta and were treating the area as a picnic area.

We helped to pay for this PUBLIC FACILITY but it seems that at the week-end when one wishes to relax or partake in pond yacht sailing one has to give way to the exclusive use of the area by various clubs or organisation.   Questions need to be answered.
 :rage:  :rage:  :rage:  $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:10 pm »
Ian, is it possible for Fester to pre-book online a return ticket, walk up to the summit and return back down on his designated train as per his timed ticket

It should be, certainly.  Good idea, Bri.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #333 on: June 29, 2014, 12:14:01 am »
A belated thanks for all the advice guys.

I am looking forward to trying the walk up Snowdon, although having seen the physical effect on Dave the day after his walk, maybe I shouldn't attempt it!

Having said that, another 24 hours later, and he had shaken the stiffness off.   $good$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #334 on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:58 am »
My new chum in Llanberis tells me that every 4th train going up Snowden is a Steam Train and waits at the top for one hour

The other 3 diesels return after a 30 minute stop

Offline Hugo

« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2014, 12:13:00 pm »
A belated thanks for all the advice guys.

I am looking forward to trying the walk up Snowdon, although having seen the physical effect on Dave the day after his walk, maybe I shouldn't attempt it!

Having said that, another 24 hours later, and he had shaken the stiffness off.   $good$

If it's your first walk up Snowdon, I'd still recommend that you walk up the Pyg Track or otherwise coming down the Llanberis Path you could end up walking like John Wayne used to walk!   
A friend of mine walked up the Pyg Track with a mate and then walked down the Llanberis Path.   It was his intention to stop at Steffan's CafĂ© near the bottom of the path but decided against it when he looked at the state of his mate and realised that if he stopped the mate wouldn't be able to get up again.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2014, 10:01:05 pm »
Apologies to SDQ and Yorkie, because I took a day off from Scrabble.... err I mean work!!.... today, and set off to discover those lakes I keep reading about on here.
Set off to Llanrwst to the ivy covered 'house on the bridge', for the famous Welsh Rarebit, but despite a sign saying open 7 days a week until October.... it was disappointingly closed on  Monday.

Had a nice lunch in Trefriw at the Fairy Falls pub instead, then followed the signs up to Lake Crafnant.
It was a perfectly still day, not even a bird singing.   Perhaps they have all migrated?
We took the 5km walk (3 hours it said) around the lake... and it was blissful.
I took a couple of pictures on the iphone only, but hopefully someone can identify the very pretty 'spherical' blue flower in the 2nd picture.
Picture 1 is from the start of the walk. (Bald Yorkshireman still feeling energetic), picture 3 is from close to the end of the walk, looking across to the picturesque cafe on the water's edge.

Enjoying these days off!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:29 pm »
Glad you are enjoying some walks, it's lovely up at Llyn Crafnant! 😀🚶
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2014, 08:20:45 am »
Crafnant is one of my favourite walks, glad you got up there in the end.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:29 am »
That blue thing is a fungus, I think.  I'll find out more.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline hollins

« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2014, 10:32:25 am »
Thanks Fester. That sounds a lovely walk and what a super day you had for it. I am not sure but to me the flower looks like a scabias.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2014, 10:36:50 am »
You're probably right, H. No word from my gardening source as yet :-)) 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2014, 02:37:41 pm »
And the word is Scabious. So it seems you were correct, H :-))

Offline hollins

« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »
Oh dear, could do better on the spelling!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2014, 04:28:30 pm »
Oh, I just copied and pasted it :-)))