Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193401 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:44 am »
Sees me, all excited "Dad, Dad, have you seen any shops anywhere?"
    She was a shopaholic at six and she's still the same at twenty-six

I blame the parents...

WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2014, 05:13:03 pm »
A beautiful Summer's Day at Rhosneigr yesterday:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: June 22, 2014, 08:02:45 pm »
Walked up Snowdon today, am ashamed to say its the first time I've ever done it! We went up the Llanberis path, took 2 hours to walk up and, not surprisingly, two hours to walk back down. As you would expect, magnificent views and a walk that really stretches your legs! When we got back to the bottom, it was straight to Petes Eats for tea.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:14 pm »
I've been up a few times but on the train! Great views up there!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2014, 11:57:20 pm »
Is it possible to walk up Snowdon,  but ride back down?
That would be very preferable for my ageing knees.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:39 am »
They certainly don't do one-way tickets during the peak summer season.  Whether they'd do it at either end of the season I don't know.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2014, 08:12:43 am »
Single tickets can be purchased for the journey UP Snowdon.

A very limited number of Descent tickets are sold on a STANDBY basis only from the Summit Stationmaster's platform office, on a first come first served basis.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2014, 08:53:44 am »
Walked up Snowdon today, am ashamed to say its the first time I've ever done it! We went up the Llanberis path, took 2 hours to walk up and, not surprisingly, two hours to walk back down. As you would expect, magnificent views and a walk that really stretches your legs! When we got back to the bottom, it was straight to Petes Eats for tea.

Two hours is a very good time to walk up Snowdon, especially as it's your first attempt.  The return journey is 9 miles and the average time to do it is between 5-6 hours.   Even on the first short section to Steffan's cafe it's very steep and you soon build up a sweat just getting to there.   I'm pleased that you had good visibility that day as the photos show, because the views from the summit are superb.   Ian's favourite walk up the Watkin Path is really picturesque and you could get some stunning photos along that route (weather permitting)

I would still recommend that the Medz tries the Pyg Track first of all as the Llanberis Path is just a relentless slog uphill, whereas the Pyg Track has a variety of aspects to the walk.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2014, 08:56:23 am »
The thing is that most journeys on the SMR are Returns, so there's rarely spare capacity in the carriage to allow people just book a trip back down. Apparently, it's not uncommon for people to walk up Snowdon and assume that there will be a spare seat on the train to carry them back down. It doesn't go down well when they are told that they will have to walk back down again.  $angry$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2014, 09:04:09 am »
Two hours is a very good time to walk up Snowdon, especially as it's your first attempt.  The return journey is 9 miles and the average time to do it is between 5-6 hours.   Even on the first short section to Steffan's cafe it's very steep and you soon build up a sweat just getting to there.   I'm pleased that you had good visibility that day as the photos show, because the views from the summit are superb.   Ian's favourite walk up the Watkin Path is really picturesque and you could get some stunning photos along that route (weather permitting)
Thanks Hugo, I found it a fairly straightfoward walk up to the Halfway cafe and a little more arduous thereafter!  :laugh:

I was sad to see that Pen Ceunant Cafe is up for sale at £500,000, btw.
http://www.snowdoncafe.com/index.php/component/content/article/2-snowdoncafemain/60-snowdoncafeforsale

Offline Hugo

« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2014, 09:08:53 am »
I have walked up Snowdon twice and then caught the train down.   The first time was because I was completely saturated by the driving rain and the second was because my Dutch friends were physically exhausted and unable to walk downhill.
Perhaps I was just lucky on those occasions but I'd check with the railway first if anyone else is thinking of doing it.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2014, 09:59:34 am »
I'll stick with a return ticket on the train and more leisurely walks elsewhere!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:32 am »
As the difference in price of a single and a return ticket is negligible, you can always purchase a return ticket and start walking up well before the train leaves Llanberis and be guaranteed a seat on the return train.

In fact, if you are struggling on the way up you can always enjoy the view for a while at Clogwyn and take up your seat at this point to carry on up to the summit.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2014, 10:27:47 am »
From the Snowdon Mountain railway booking site:

When the summit is the destination passengers are not allowed to board or disembark at any other passing point.

To avoid the possibility of being stranded, passengers with return tickets must return on the same train as there may not be later availability or any later trains arriving at or leaving the summit and Clogwyn.

From Mid-July to Early September the very early departures from Llanberis will sometimes have return seats available, but infrequently.  Outside of this period, or in really grotty weather, Summit - Llanberis seats are more frequently available.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2014, 10:47:56 am »
Thanks Hugo, I found it a fairly straightfoward walk up to the Halfway cafe and a little more arduous thereafter!  :laugh:

I was sad to see that Pen Ceunant Cafe is up for sale at £500,000, btw.
http://www.snowdoncafe.com/index.php/component/content/article/2-snowdoncafemain/60-snowdoncafeforsale

Yes, it won't be the same there without Steffan,  I'll have to go there soon and see him before he goes.   $cofffee$