Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193398 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #285 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:12 pm »
After a nice day in a much improved Caernarfon last week, we set off for a set off for a really nice two days in Llangollen.

We have never been to Llangollen, but will certainly be going again.
We found a great deal on 'Laterooms.com' for The Cornerstones Hotel,  it's a 5 Star Bed and Breakfast, and I would willingly pay the full rate any time, it is excellent.
I have posted a picture of the megalomaniac-sized bathroom on the appropriate thread.

We soon realised why the cheap hotel deals were on last week, because all the main attractions in Llangollen were closed down for that week.  Canal cruises and Steam Train excursions for Xmas return next week, but we got lucky in other respects.
For example, whilst looking dolefully at the empty train station, the engine (pictured below) pulled in!
It was driver training day!  So we were able to watch the trains for a while, and I even took a picture inside the cab.
I hope Merddin Emrys is suitably jealous.

From there, I wanted to visit Plas Newydd, an Elizabethan Manor house which I had seen on TV on the 'Most Haunted' programme.
Again, it was closed, but I was able to walk around the grounds ans take a few pictures, (one below)

Later, we had a fantastic night out in Llangollen's hostelries.
We visited the beautifully restored Corn Mill pub and Restaurant.
However, most of our night was spent in the oldest Wine Bar in Wales, opened in 1976 apparently, and the food on offer was superb.  We spent a packet, so much in fact that I can't remember what the wine bar's name is! But, it is bang opposite the Cornerstones Hotel.

The next day, after a walk along the riverbank, I really wanted to see Valle Crucis Abbey.
I had no idea it was so close to Llangollen, but I had spotted it on the drive on, so we had a potter around there as I just adore all things medieval.

In between times there are lots of great little shops, tea rooms and cafes.
I look forward to going again in the near future.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #286 on: November 19, 2013, 08:41:15 am »
Loved your description of your trip away, just happening on things!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:25 am »
The Wine Bar was called Gales of Llangollen, I think.  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #288 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08:25 am »
One of the best breakfasts is available a mile or so out of town up Horseshoe Pass.  The Ponderosa is a great meeting place for Bikers and Car enthusiasts.  A real Five Star Greasy Spoon!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: November 19, 2013, 09:16:17 am »
Llangollen is a very pleasant town to visit. I'm thinking about staying at Manorhaus next time:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186439-d3562995-Reviews-Manorhaus_Llangollen-Llangollen_Denbighshire_North_Wales_Wales.html

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #290 on: November 19, 2013, 10:27:36 am »

For example, whilst looking dolefully at the empty train station, the engine (pictured below) pulled in!
It was driver training day!  So we were able to watch the trains for a while, and I even took a picture inside the cab.
I hope Merddin Emrys is suitably jealous.

:laugh:, We have been there several times this year with our classic cars for special events, they give us free rides then!  D) a great railway!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2014, 09:51:01 am »
I tried the new San Carlo Bodega restaurant in Selfridges, Manchester yesterday.
I have always liked this place for the view right from the days when it was the M&S coffee shop.
It has undergone another transformation this time with comfy pale blue seating. It is the same principle as Cicchetti in Kendals, small plates of tasty food so you can choose to have a small amount or order loads if you need to fill up.
I had calamari with a plate of courgettes and it was good with the usual friendly service.
I didn't want much because I was staying at the Radisson again and they have a Winter Break offer on at the moment which includes afternoon tea and breakfast for less than than a normal'ish rate.
I didn't chose this option but you could have had one tea which included mini fish and chips and mini toad in the hole!
Anyway always a good day out and here are a few photos, first one is San Carlo Bodega.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: April 21, 2014, 06:27:37 pm »
Beaumaris was very pleasant in the sunshine today:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #294 on: April 21, 2014, 11:19:29 pm »
A big wheel in Beaumaris?   No not you Dave,  the attraction.    How long has that been there?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2014, 09:19:30 am »
A big wheel in Beaumaris?   No not you Dave,  the attraction.    How long has that been there?
:laugh: I believe the town's traders clubbed together to hire it for a month or so. If only Llandudno's Traders had similar ambition for their town....

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2014, 07:44:20 pm »
:laugh: I believe the town's traders clubbed together to hire it for a month or so. If only Llandudno's Traders had similar ambition for their town....

It would surely be a self- liquidating investment with the possible spin off of more business.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:25 am »
They'd be better off putting in a full park for the kids, after all in that trade it's all swings and roundabouts   :twoface:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #298 on: April 27, 2014, 11:56:52 pm »
We went to Beaumaris this morning, had a ride on the big wheel (£5 each) very good, wonder if they will bring it to Llandudno?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #299 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:04 am »
Wish we'd gone on it now.  :-[ Any more views from the top, ME? The one in Liverpool at the Albert Dock is also very good, it's a bit higher and has enclosed cabins. Great views over the City.