Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 197911 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2013, 09:03:33 am »
Looks great, H, certainly one for the list to visit.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #271 on: July 20, 2013, 03:32:16 pm »
Thanks ME and yes DaveR definitely one for the list.
It was also one of the most beautiful drives over there. We turned right on to the B4405 after Dolgellau and passed by this beautiful lake at Tal-y-llyn.
There was a steam railway there. Have you travelled on it ME?
The road travels down a lovely valley eventually coming out at the sea at Tywyn where there were also some interesting buildings including the Magic Lantern Cinema that I put on the quiz.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #272 on: July 20, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »
We were down in that area earlier this year, a lovely place and at the head of the lake in your photo we had found, last year, a very strange little picnic area  with a semi abandoned park with walks laid out in and among ponds and streams. all turns out that it was where Idris Pop was first made.

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/33331/details/IDRIS+MINERAL+WATER+CO.,+MINFFORDD,+NEAR+CORRIS/

Another trip to that area was somewhat of a disaster as we had three days of horizontal rain!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2013, 07:03:29 pm »
Thanks ME and yes DaveR definitely one for the list.
It was also one of the most beautiful drives over there. We turned right on to the B4405 after Dolgellau and passed by this beautiful lake at Tal-y-llyn.
There was a steam railway there. Have you travelled on it ME?

Oh yes many times in the last 40 years, it's a wonderful railway!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: July 21, 2013, 02:06:03 pm »
We didn't quite reach Aberdovey yesterday, but got as far as Barmouth.

Travelled down first to Porthmadog, via the usual Betws Y Coed/Blaenau Ffestiniog route. Had a full breakfast in the Big Rock cafe, which is on the main st opposite HSBC - delicious! https://www.facebook.com/TheBigRockCafe

We then headed back across the Cob and took the Toll Bridge shortcut (No tolls collected as was unmanned  ;) ). Then, the usual route along the coast past Harlech and Llanbedr (I remember the Maes Artro militiary museum there, now long vanished).

We soon arrived in Barmouth. Now, I had visions of a fairly sleepy little seaside town. These dreams were soon shattered - no exaggerating, it was busier than Llandudno on a busy day!The massive car park on the prom was completely full and people were parking anywhere they could find. The massive beach was packed with people and the town itself was heaving. I was amazed!

We had a walk round for an hour or so, then back to the car and up the A496, then A470 to complete the circuit. Feeling a bit parched by the time we'd got back to Betws Y Coed, so we stopped off at Ffin Y Parc for a great coffee and bara brith! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ffin-y-Parc/134343220078768?fref=ts

A great day out.  $good$ No photos yet, apart from the one or two I've put on Facebook, as they're on my other Mac.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2013, 09:18:40 pm »
A nice place, been there many times!  $cool$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:11 pm »
Yes, they have some nice bells too.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2013, 07:41:39 am »
And they mounted 10 rescues over the weekend of mainly E European families on dinghys that were blown out to sea.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2013, 08:48:51 am »
And they mounted 10 rescues over the weekend of mainly E European families on dinghys that were blown out to sea.
Darwinism in action, the RNLI should not interfere with nature!  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2013, 11:51:19 pm »
Snigger...  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:36 pm »
Been out and about a bit lately, so a lot of catching up to do.

I'll start with one of Fester's favourite places, Ruthin Castle Hotel. A very interesting and unusual building, set in 30 acres of gardens and parkland. The Castle itself was built in 1846 but remains of the original 1277 Castle ruins are everywhere within the grounds and, sadly many of the ancient walls etc in the gardens appear to be on the brink of collapse. The hotel itself has been refurbished in recent years and the public rooms are very grand, in the best Victorian tradition. We just popped in for coffee & scones but I have to say that the service was first class, a real credit to the hotel. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2013, 10:19:16 pm »
Dave, Nice pictures of one of my very favourite places, and one where Mrs Fester and I have been visiting very happily for many, many years.

Part of our honeymoon was spent there.
Looking forward to staying there again soon, and over-indulging in the medieval banquet!  $dins$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:30 pm »
Tellytubby was invited to the opening of the new bridge across the Foryd at Rhyl yesterday and sent me these photos.    Pont Y Ddraig ( The Dragon Bridge) looks very impressive.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #284 on: November 15, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »
We had a nice drive down to Betws Y Coed and  had a look at the beautiful Acer tree before the rest of the leaves are blown off with the recent winds and then back to Betws and the Royal Oak for a nice meal and some shopping in the area.
It was quieter there than normal  but there were still a few people about.