Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 196755 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2011, 04:05:07 pm »
Hugo, I believe the North Wales Police Headquarters also have an Open Day on Saturday, 10 September.

Llandudno Historical Society have also got access to a special property locally on that day as well.

Please PM me if you want further details.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »
Llandudno Historical Society have also got access to a special property locally on that day as well.

Please PM me if you want further details.
An Open Day but the name of the property is a secret? Kind of defeats the whole idea, really?  ;D

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2011, 08:40:20 pm »
DaveR, please read my post again as I never said it was another Open Day for members of Llandudno and Colwyn Bay History Society; only the Police HQ.

It would not be fair of me to advertise where they are going because it may not be open to non-members.

I happen to think you would enjoy the visit with your camera so if you would like to send me a PM I will give you a contact telephone number to see if non-members are allowed on this occasion.

If so then you are very welcome to come along as my guest.  ;)

Offline martin

« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2011, 10:39:36 am »
Yes, they had their fingers in...many pies.

Another major ruin well worth a visit is Gwrych Castle at Abergele, not as old as it perhaps looks dating from around 1819 but an interesting place to look around. You can even go up to the Hesketh Tower seen in the right background of the photo below for stunning views over the coast

The entire facade:

Gwrych Castle - View from Driveway by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Main building from the Hesketh Tower:

Gwrych Castle - Looking down from Hesketh Tower by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

A further 20 minute walk takes you up to Lady Emily's Tower (the small square tower on top of the cliff visible from the A55), which has this view over to Rhyl:

Gwrych Castle - Looking from Lady Emily's Tower over to Rhyl by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr
I have seen this many times over the years from the A55 and had no idea it was a ruin, I was always told it was a posh girls school.   From what I have seem on the internet it is closed up and not open to the public, but at the very least I would love to take a look at it from the outside.  Does anyone have any information on the place, including how to access it from a road or footpath?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2011, 11:05:30 am »
Well worth a look, we had a look several months ago, we went through the gatehouse off the A547 Abergele

http://g.co/maps/fnw7q
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline martin

« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2011, 11:27:34 am »
Many thanks Merddin Emrys for the info, we will defiantly be going, but not today, just been down to Conwy to the chemist, talk about a cold wind, all my bits have dropped off!  :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2011, 11:43:28 am »
I have seen this many times over the years from the A55 and had no idea it was a ruin, I was always told it was a posh girls school.   From what I have seem on the internet it is closed up and not open to the public, but at the very least I would love to take a look at it from the outside.  Does anyone have any information on the place, including how to access it from a road or footpath?
Just go to the gatehouse, as Merddin said, and follow the driveway up to the Castle itself.  $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2011, 01:11:31 pm »
I have seen this many times over the years from the A55 and had no idea it was a ruin, I was always told it was a posh girls school.   

Martin, I wonder if you maybe getting confused with Bodelwyddan Castle that used to house Lowther College, a public school for girls, which closed in 1982.

You also may be interested in this link to a useful website.

http://www.gwrychtrust.co.uk/

Offline martin

« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2011, 01:32:41 pm »
Hello Bri, Thanks for the link, I will have a good look at it.  Yes, I was confusing the two places, daft as a brush!   :P

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2011, 02:28:31 pm »
No problem, Martin.

It is very confusing because Clarendon School also operated from nearby Kinmel Hall but was damaged by fire in 1975 and had to close down.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »
Bodelwydden Castle is now part of the Warners Holiday Group and although it's not far from where I live I had a nice break there a few years ago.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:11 pm »
I remember going to see Randolf Turpin doing 6 exhibition rounds at the castle back in the fifties, he was in residents then. World champ at the time. We stood near one of the towers at the back of the castle and could see him with a handfull of girls sunbathing in the gardens

Offline Hugo

« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:29 pm »
I spent an hour or two at Bodafon Farm today and it's well worth a visit.   The Birds of Prey are very impressive and I saw my favourite one "Otis" the Little Owl this time, although I couldn't take his photo because the mesh of his cage was so small.
We then went on to feed the animals but I made the mistake of feeding the Emu and he nearly ate my fingers as well!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2012, 05:11:57 pm »
Bodafon Farm

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2012, 06:53:44 pm »
Hugo, what were you saying the other day about wishing that you could take better photos?  Those are great photos of the owls in particular!  Hope your fingers have recovered.