Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193696 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:41 am »
The Duke of Lancaster ship was featured on last night's episode of 'Coast' on BBC2 (sure it will be on BBc iplayer if you want to take a look).  Apparently it was moored there in 1979 as a tourist attraction and shopping mall which could open on a Sunday.  As Sunday opening was so strict back then one way was to use the loophole that you could open on a Sunday if it was on board a ship. 

With scrap metal values so high, I wonder if it would be a good time to take it along to 'Arch Motors' and weigh it in :laugh:

Also some aerial shots of Llandudno on the same episode of Coast.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2011, 09:53:01 am »
I've recorded that episode so we will look forward to seeing that tonight!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2011, 05:44:33 pm »
Is Llandudno's water always this colour in summer?  :o

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
I had a good day out in Liverpool today.
I picked up a good way of going there from someone on the internet.
I took my car to Hooton station and left it in the massive car park there. It costs 80p per day. The return train fare is £3.80 and takes about 25 mins.
What an amazing job they are doing in Liverpool with the very dramatic new architecture.
The new museum is opening on 19 July and there looked like a mass panic of building work going on today to finish on time.

Offline hollins

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2011, 10:39:04 pm »
A few more pics of Liverpool.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:15 pm »
I took my car to Hooton station and left it in the massive car park there. It costs 80p per day. The return train fare is £3.80 and takes about 25 mins.
What an amazing job they are doing in Liverpool with the very dramatic new architecture.
The new museum is opening on 19 July and there looked like a mass panic of building work going on today to finish on time.
Looks interesting, must pay a visit with the camera soon.  $good$ You can also catch the train to Chester and get the Merseyrail train straight from there into Liverpool.

Offline hollins

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2011, 10:59:08 pm »
I look forward to seeing your photos of Liverpool. When the works are finished the skyline will be very dramatic.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2011, 01:40:37 am »
Is Llandudno's water always this colour in summer?  :o

Are you talking about the green or the blue?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:23 am »

We do this often and were in Liverpool the last couple of days for my daughters graduation which was held at the Anglican Cathedral, Brian May is the Chancellor and was there to congratulate the graduands as they made their way across the stage, it was a beautiful day and the city was buzzing with activity. The regeneration of Liverpool has been ongoing for years and they have certainly benefited from the student population living there and spending their money  - although this is bound to be affected by the hike in fees due to start in 2012, I'm sure this will affect the numbers of young people opting to go to uni in the future.

We had a lovely meal in the Monro on Duke Street finishing off with cocktails at Alma De Cuba in Seel Street, a converted Church, pushed the boat out a little but had a great time. We intend to go back during the summer to the new museum and the Magritte exhibition at the Tate. My photo's inside the Cathedral didn't come out too well :( the robing rooms were the other end of Hope Street near "Paddy's Wigwam"

Offline hollins

« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2011, 09:24:53 am »
Congratulations to your daughter!
Once again you are a mine of information. Magritte was one of my heroes when I was a student and I was so pleased to read your tip about the exhibition at the Tate.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:54 am »
thank you! it has been great going to and from Liverpool over the last three years, we have go to know the city really well. One thing we haven't done yet is the "Shiverpool" tour of  haunted locations, which we will probably do later in the year. One of my favourite pubs is the Philharmonic which has to be one of the most ornate pubs in Britain, including the toilets!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »
We have visited Liverpool a couple of times recently and are hoping to return on Saturday, 23 July to enjoy ‘On the Waterfront’

The new Museum of Liverpool Life will be open until 10pm and the Royal Liver Building is open to the public until 6pm as well as few other items of entertainment to enjoy.

I can certainly recommend it.

Try this link:

http://www.liverpoolonthewaterfront.co.uk/22-24-july/

Offline hollins

« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2011, 09:20:43 pm »
What a difference a week makes!
The first picture was taken last Monday, the second one today.
A thought occurred to me when I was taking the second one in pouring rain......Dave, how do you hold an umbrella up and take a photo at the same time?
You must have got a better method than mine for your "desolate" pictures.
The ship in the second picture actually set off while I was in the Tate. There were fantastic views from the 4th floor where the Magritte exhibition is on. There is no way I would have got on that ship to go any where. It was blowing a gale.
I got soaked walking from James St station to the gallery but dried off later over a delicious crab risotto in Jamie's Italian in Liverpool One!

Offline hollins

« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2011, 07:59:21 pm »
We have friends staying with us and they very kindly treated us today to a train ride on the Wales Highland Railway.
We set off from Porthmadog at 9.30 and travelled to Caernarfon.
What a great day out.
Here are a few snaps.
I hope there are a few railway enthusiasts out there and apologies if this subject has been on the forum before.

Offline hollins

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2011, 08:00:44 pm »
Two more.