Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 196979 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #555 on: June 13, 2021, 06:54:11 pm »
My thoughts exactly.If we are sending anyone up to 'The Welsh Lakes' we always warn them not to go unless they are capable of reversing.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #556 on: June 19, 2021, 09:45:40 am »
Rules for motorhomes and campervans in Wales as Snowdonia urges some owners to 'delay visits'

A staycation surge in motorhome ownership and rentals has fuelled tensions in many communities

The Covid pandemic has had many unexpected consequences, and one of them is the rise of the motorhome.

Since the second lockdown eased, this new army of campervans seems to be heading to Wales.

Social media photos show motorhomes lining narrow roads, crowding into laybys or annoying coastal residents by parking up on seafront proms and “spoiling the views”.

Most owners leave no trace, some don’t. Across North Wales, councils have been left to deal with piles of roadside rubbish as campervans eject everything from food scraps to soiled nappies and waste from chemical toilets.

Interesting read cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/trips-breaks/rules-motorhomes-campervans-wales-snowdonia-20848570?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #557 on: June 20, 2021, 10:37:33 am »
The underground 'car cave' hidden in abandoned North Wales mine that stunned urban explorers
The 'discovery' of the Cavern of Lost Souls caused an internet sensation - but some claim it's now being spoiled by litter, graffiti and vandalism

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/underground-car-cave-hidden-abandoned-20839301

Offline Hugo

« Reply #558 on: July 11, 2021, 09:31:45 am »
North Wales landscape dubbed Europe’s ‘Machu Picchu’ set to emerge from the shadows
A photographer who has been documenting Blaenau Ffestiniog's slate mines for almost two decades, believes action is needed to save them from being reclaimed by nature

We had a walk up to Maen Offeren recently and there is a lot to see up there and also a lot more quarries to look at

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/north-wales-landscape-dubbed-europes-21013876

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #559 on: July 11, 2021, 06:43:00 pm »
Suggest you have a look at Falcon Hildred work he has a fascinating portfolio of industrial heritage from the Ffestiniog area and other places , he considers Ffestiniog as the most complete Victorian industrial town in the U.K ,his work not only of that area but of the whole of Wales is brilliant hope you enjoy .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #560 on: July 12, 2021, 07:04:13 am »
Thanks very much indeed for posting that information Robbie, what an incredible person and what a legacy he will leave      $good$

http://www.falconhildred.co.uk/page4.html         

Offline Hugo

« Reply #561 on: July 16, 2021, 06:37:26 pm »
Suggest you have a look at Falcon Hildred work he has a fascinating portfolio of industrial heritage from the Ffestiniog area and other places , he considers Ffestiniog as the most complete Victorian industrial town in the U.K ,his work not only of that area but of the whole of Wales is brilliant hope you enjoy .

Thanks again for sharing that info Robbie.    I passed on the details to my walking mates who were very impressed and we are planning a walk in that area soon.    We;ll be far from the maddening crowds up on those hills while the tourist season is upon us.   The touristy bits we'll keep until the Autumn

Offline hollins

« Reply #562 on: July 16, 2021, 06:50:50 pm »
Action man has been "exploring" the area today, climbing, scrambling on Tryfan.
The first photo is the pinnacle on the east face of Tryfan and the second photo is a view of Snowdon and Lliwedd from Capel Curig car park.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #563 on: July 16, 2021, 11:24:58 pm »
I hope that you've got Action man insured Hollins as Tryfan is not for the faint hearted.      I've never jumped across the Adam and Eve stones before and I know that these old knees of mine wouldn't be up to it now anyway   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #564 on: September 07, 2021, 10:00:39 am »
The first of its kind in North Wales, a free history app, called Imagine Trail, will shed light on some of the Bay of Colwyn and Mochdre’s old tales and bring them to life through augmented reality (AR) technology.

The app has been created as part of Imagine Colwyn Bay, funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund with support from Conwy County Borough Council and the Bay of Colwyn Town Council. Local arts charity TAPE Community Music & Film and tech experts Reality

Boffins worked closely with local creatives, heritage groups and the wider community to develop it.

Animated videos, old footage and photos, sound recordings and interviews have been used to recall stories of note from monks in the Middle Ages through to the mod rallies of the 70s and 80s.

The app will be unveiled and ready for download on September 18th with launch events at Colwyn Bay Artisan’s market and the Welsh Mountain Zoo. Before then, history buffs and cinemagoers can enjoy a week of free, related activities starting on September 13th.

TAPE’s Neil Dunsire said: “The app is a real treasure trove of stories. We’ve been fortunate to unearth some terrific tales and memories from Dinosaur World to Medieval ambushes.  It has been brilliant to work with 20 local creatives, who have adapted and overcome

cont https://www.wales247.co.uk/history-trail-app-to-shed-light-on-north-wales?IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Hugo

« Reply #565 on: September 22, 2021, 02:28:10 pm »
I went to Conwy this morning and was lucky enough to get a parking space by the Bowling Green, so I took some photos of the castle.
After doing so I drove around the town and then headed home as it was so busy there.
It's such a beautiful place that I can understand why so many people were there but I'll go back again when it's not so busy

Offline SAJ

« Reply #566 on: September 22, 2021, 04:44:53 pm »
Hugo, your post reminded me of a story told to me some years ago by a school friend of my daughter. Her grandma had enjoyed a coach holiday to Bournemouth and upon her return, remarked, “It’s a lovely place. I think if it wasn’t so busy, a lot more people would go there”. 😂

Offline Hugo

« Reply #567 on: September 23, 2021, 10:06:23 am »
I'm lucky because I live in the area and can go there anytime, especially when it's not so busy and you can appreciate the place better but I understand what the Grandma meant.
On my way home I went through Llandudno but didn't bother stopping there either for the same reason but it was nice seeing both places heaving with tourists after the last 18 months or so.         $good$.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #568 on: September 25, 2021, 10:54:26 am »
Last weekend, MOH and I, along with a group of fellow villagers, visited the Rhydymwyn Tunnels. It was a very interesting Tour and fascinating to discover exactly what was going on in that small village during WWII and in the following years. The tours are organised by the Rhydymwyn Valley History Society whose very enthusiastic and knowledgeable members lead each group and describe in detail the once top secret history of that location. Well worth booking a visit.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #569 on: September 25, 2021, 03:48:22 pm »
I haven't been to see the tunnels yet but my walking mates have and they said that it's well worth the visit.    I'm sure that they mentioned a nature reserve that was there and they enjoyed seeing the reserve too.
I do remember the railway tracks that went across the main road into the site and my friend's father worked in there during the post war period

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/take-tour-secret-north-wales-18039484