Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 196810 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #540 on: January 04, 2021, 05:56:46 pm »
Because of the Covid restrictions in Wales  I am unable to see any of my walking mates so we keep in touch by e-mail and send each other photos from our local walks.  Today I received one from my friend Rhuddlan

This time last year he was walking in the sunshine somewhere, perhaps in the Caymen Islands but now he is confined to walking on Rhuddlan Golf Course.    Anyway he sent us these nice photos from his walk
They make you realise how lucky we are to live in such a nice area
In the second photo you can see in the background the village of Dyserth and I can just make out the house I lived in when I lived there

Offline Hugo

« Reply #541 on: January 10, 2021, 10:51:37 am »
Tellytubby sent me this beautiful photo of Portmeirion that he saw on facebook.    It just shows you the lovely countryside that we are lucky to live in, but because of the virus we are unable to see at the moment
Immediately before the first lockdown we were going to have lunch at Castell Deudraeth then have a walk around Portmeirion but Coronavirus put paid to that

Offline Hugo

« Reply #542 on: April 12, 2021, 04:26:28 pm »
Tellytubby and Mrs T had a walk yesterday in the hills  and they walked from Llyn Geirionydd over the hills to Llyn Crafnant.     The weather was good until they came to the Crafnant Valley when they hit a blizzard but enjoyed it all the same.
It was nice to a see a photo of the old Chapel in Crafnant after it had been restored

Offline hollins

« Reply #543 on: April 19, 2021, 05:27:07 pm »
First ever visit to Gwrych Castle today.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #544 on: May 29, 2021, 11:01:17 am »
The amazing 'national treasure' hidden in Gwynedd woods and in danger of being lost forever
A former chicken farmer and his wife spent years building the complex in their garden to remind them of cherished holidays in Italy

Tucked away in woodland, mostly hidden from public view, is a mini Portmeirion that is now abandoned, crumbling and slowly being reclaimed by nature.

Lovingly built over decades by a former chicken farmer, as a nostalgic shrine to a lifetime of Italian holidays, the place is little known but has been labelled a “national treasure”.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/amazing-national-treasure-hidden-gwynedd-20686072

Offline hollins

« Reply #545 on: June 05, 2021, 07:09:57 pm »
A rare day out for us yesterday to visit Penrhyn Castle and gardens and also a walk along Bangor pier.

Offline hollins

« Reply #546 on: June 08, 2021, 07:58:38 pm »
Mr H (action man) has been exploring in the mountains today. This is the view from Y Garn.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #547 on: June 09, 2021, 09:57:23 am »
It's good to see that Action man is still doing his stuff on the hills.   That's a lovely photo and brings back distant memories for me as I don't think that I'll be able to do those walks again.
Either lockdown or old age or a combination of the two has finished it off for me and old Uncle Albert as we found out yesterday when we had a gentle walk in Deganwy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #548 on: June 13, 2021, 09:28:42 am »
Bizarre TripAdvisor review slams North Wales lake for location, beauty, and lack of a McDonalds
The reviewer signed off with ‘thank you Wales Gods that I got out alive

Some of the comments are just unbelievable and you wonder what planet the people are on.      Here's one for you to ponder on Steve about the beautiful Llyn Geirionydd
 One reviewer who gave the beauty spot one-star blamed the lake’s beauty for distracting them and causing them to capsize their kayak “which was very distressing”.

They also complained that the lake's water was too cold, that they had no signal, and about the location's lack of a McDonalds, KFC, and Burger King

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tripadvisor-review-slams-lack-mcdonalds-20791793

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #549 on: June 13, 2021, 11:38:58 am »
Oh dear, what a dreadful story. We have gone to Llyn Geirionydd sice our daughter was small and she is now in her mid 50s. We've swum in the lake, probably illegally, eaten our lunch on its banks and generally enjoyed the peace and beauty of the place. Mc Donalds?? I hate to imagine the problems that would cause, but perhaps I am just old fashioned. I just wish that we could still walk enough to  explore the area as we used to.
Watersport became popular and it wasn't as peaceful, but people seemed considerate and enjoyed the beauty of the place.
Times gone by. !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #550 on: June 13, 2021, 12:13:41 pm »
Llyn Geirionydd is set in a beautiful location as Steve can verify but it makes you wonder what people expect with their inane comments.
You would get a more sensible comment from anyone who was in "One flew over the Cuckoo's nest" 

Another one was why did they put Snowdon in Wales?          &shake&

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #551 on: June 13, 2021, 02:24:26 pm »
Idiocy ! On those lines did you see those women who climbed Snowdon wearing very little? Good on them for raising money for charity, but had the weather turned they would have needed to be rescued.Even on a hot day it can be perishing cold at the summit.

Offline DVT

« Reply #552 on: June 13, 2021, 03:28:45 pm »
I wonder how many of those inane comments are simply jokes written by social media keyboard warriors with nothing better to do that to post them and sit back to see the reaction.

Perhaps a motorway standard road from Trefriw to Geirionyndd might not be a bad idea, the idiots who have no idea how to drive on narrow roads could then work out how to pass oncoming traffic.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2021, 04:29:54 pm »
I have always said that you don't learn to drive properly till you have negotiated these roads.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: June 13, 2021, 06:33:38 pm »
The biggest problem some seem to have is an utter inability to reverse.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.