Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193434 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #525 on: September 17, 2020, 03:43:22 pm »
I had a nice walk on the disused railway track today that went from Dyserth to Prestatyn.     Mrs H and I walked along the section from Dyserth to Meliden and went past many of the old lead mine tunnels that litter that part of the hillside.    Luckily they are all solidly blocked off to prevent accidents from happening.
At Meliden they have converted the old Railway Shed into a nice cafe along with other outlets.
We stopped there and had a nice coffee and sausage roll before returning to the car in Dyserth

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #526 on: September 18, 2020, 10:41:51 am »
Hugo, thought you might like these, I know you visited the island in the last few years.

This is the incredible moment an island off the coast of North Wales disappeared under a blanket of mist.

Martin Whitelegge was out walking when he managed to capture the spellbinding moment Ynys Enlli (Bardsey Island) vanished.

The 59-year-old from Sheffield was walking a section of the coastal path when he noticed the island, which is two miles off the coast of the Llŷn Peninsula, had disappeared.              ref DP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #527 on: September 18, 2020, 11:16:11 am »
Thanks Steve, those images are incredible and bring back memories for me of a couple of visits I have had to this unique island.

We had it on our wish list for this year but Covid put an end to the idea but we must do it again another time.   They say that three visits to Ynys Ennli ( Bardsey Island is equal to a pilgrimage to Rome.      I must admit that Rome is on my wish list too

Offline Hugo

« Reply #528 on: September 20, 2020, 08:57:27 am »
I don't think that there will be many locals in Abersoch putting in an offer!           :o

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/little-gwynedd-beach-hut-market-18958694

Offline Hugo

« Reply #529 on: September 27, 2020, 01:23:56 pm »
I read this article today but I can remember a few years ago that the dam holding the water back in Llyn Anafon was unsafe and the authorities had to reduce the volume of water to avoid the dam bursting.  Perhaps something similar has happened again?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/extraordinary-saga-snowdonias-vanishing-lake-18994226

Offline Hugo

« Reply #530 on: September 30, 2020, 08:06:15 am »
The weather was good yesterday so I took Mrs H to Anglesey for a drive which was just as well because when we arrived home we found out that Conwy was going into lockdown tomorrow.
It was Mrs H's first visit to Point Lynas and Porth Eilian and she was impressed with what she saw.    We had our lunch while sitting on a bench overlooking the beautiful but rugged bay and it felt just like being on holiday
After lunch we went to Llaneilian Church but as expected it was closed,  I have been inside the Church before and it's well worth a visit so we'll return there when circumstances permit.
Then we had a quick visit to Bull Bay before moving on to Moelfre where we had a nice coffee in the garden area of Ann's Pantry and we finished it with a large ice cream by the beach car park

Offline Hugo

« Reply #531 on: September 30, 2020, 08:10:10 am »
Point Lynas, Bull Bay and Moelfre

Offline Hugo

« Reply #532 on: October 08, 2020, 07:01:35 pm »
I had a drive in the Conwy County area today and after driving through an unusually quiet Betws Y Coed we continued along the A5  until we came to Ty Hyll   the Ugly House.    After taking a few photos we carried on to Capel Curig and Llynau Mymbyr, the two lakes located in Dyffryn Mymbyr
We stopped to have lunch there and could see that Snowdon was covered in a low cloud and the weather started to change so we headed off for home

Offline Hugo

« Reply #533 on: October 15, 2020, 03:19:06 pm »
The weather was good yesterday so I drove to Dolwyddelan with Mrs H for a short walk along the Afon Lledr
We parked by the Church and walked past the Railway Station for the start of the riverside walk.     It was very quiet and we only saw one person on the walk, a young woman who was walking a lovely  small dog called Hugo so we had to have a chat with her.    She was telling us that many years ago this small rural community had about 15 Chapels in the surrounding area.
Most of the Chapels have now  been closed or converted into residential homes.
We walked as far as the bridge in the photo and then crossed over it to the main A470 road and then headed back to the village where the car was parked.
On the way back we made a short but steep detour to see Ffynnon Sant Gwyddelan.     The well has been restored in recent years and was well worth seeing.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #534 on: October 30, 2020, 05:25:59 pm »
I thought that I'd have a short walk up to the View in Colwyn Bay today and it's easy to see why it has got it's name.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #535 on: November 11, 2020, 03:04:35 pm »
Tellytubby, Rhuddlan and I were one of the last groups to climb up the inside of that column but it doesn't seen eight years since we were there.   It must be old age catching up on me!        ;D

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/major-anglesey-landmark-mysteriously-kept-19259405

Offline Hugo

« Reply #536 on: November 11, 2020, 04:40:50 pm »
Rhuddlan has emailed me to say that we went up to the top of the column on the 26th Feb 2014 and not in 2012.    I have no photos to check but looked back to an article I had posted on here previously and this is what I posted at the time
"The staircase was deemed unsafe and the article said that the column was closed in March 2012,  yet I've looked at my photos and they were taken on 26th Feb 2014."
It still doesn't seem six years ago

Offline Hugo

« Reply #537 on: November 20, 2020, 03:30:32 pm »
We were driving home along the A470 and stopped just outside of Llan Ffestiniog to take this photo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #538 on: November 22, 2020, 11:20:30 am »
Great Strike trail marks 120 years since quarry dispute

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55021434

Offline Hugo

« Reply #539 on: January 02, 2021, 10:43:48 pm »
Old Uncle Albert sent me an e-mail with some nice photos on it after he had a walk around his local area of Porthmadog.     In the first photo the snow on the mountain peaks looks very impressive.
The Cnicht is the pointed summit on the left and Moelwyn Mawr is on the right of the photo,     They were not far from a walk we had recently to Rhosydd Quarry and Cwm Orthin