Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193410 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #480 on: November 29, 2019, 04:20:07 pm »
What a difference a day makes!      Yesterday it was raining heavily but today it has been sunny but on the cold side.    As i was driving over Rhuddlan Bridge today I couldn't help but notice the River Clwyd in full flood so I stopped to take a photo

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #481 on: November 29, 2019, 05:26:41 pm »
Nice shot. What a change from yesterday!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #482 on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:55 am »
Rhuddlan very kindly sent me some photos of the River Clwyd in serious flood

Offline Hugo

« Reply #483 on: February 05, 2020, 02:54:59 pm »
We had a drive to Caerhun today and then on to Llanbedr Y Cennin  before going up to Pen Y Gaer to the Iron Age Hillfort.    The views are good from up there but the weather was a bit hazy .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2020, 04:08:42 pm »
In between showers I had a walk on the quay in Conwy yesterday and the tide was very high indeed.    The sea was calm but if it had been rough then I would imagine that the sea would have overlapped those metal sea defence gates and flooded the nearby cottages

Offline Hugo

« Reply #485 on: March 26, 2020, 05:38:43 pm »
It was such a beautiful day today that as part of the once a day exercise, I walked up to the view which is above Mochdre.     I've lived nearby for about 35 years and have never been there before which is a shame because it has stunning views in all directions.   Getting up to the view you go through a narrow lane with Gorse bushes on both sides and the scent from the flowers was divine.
There was a heat haze so the photos don't do the views justice

Offline Hugo

« Reply #486 on: March 28, 2020, 11:50:21 am »
Yesterday my wife and I did our once a day exercise and had another walk from our home and again did a walk that I hadn't done before
At the end of the unmade section of Pen Y Bryn Road is a footpath that takes you down to the tarmac road in the steep sided Nant Y Glyn Valley.     It brought us out by a very impressive pair of gates which Cambrian has very kindly given me some information about.
We headed off in the direction of Bryn Y Maen and the road is narrow and goes uphill all the way.    It was a nice day and lovely to see and hear all the lambs in the surrounding fields
After a while on the right hand side  we came to a farm and took a very steep bridle path up to Honeysuckle Lane and we huffed and puffed our way up to the top keeping a safe distance apart.    Nothing whatsoever to do with the Coronavirus but more to do with expecting a clip around the ear for taking Mrs H out of her comfort zone.
Anyway it was all downhill from there and we enjoyed a nice coffee when we arrived home

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2020, 12:52:44 pm »
Looks a lovely walk and all the walks you do and you've only just done this one on your doorstep 😅, take care stay safe up there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2020, 03:41:05 pm »
Thanks Norman,   I've got a couple more walks lined up from the house, one of which is to see the Badger setts in the woods.     I've ordered two snoods for safety sake and I may need a safety helmet if I take Mrs H up hills that are too steep        ;D

There are no flat walks up here but once we get the all clear I'll be back walking on the Great Orme, there's no place like home

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #489 on: March 28, 2020, 03:46:34 pm »
Thanks Norman,   I've got a couple more walks lined up from the house, one of which is to see the Badger setts in the woods.     I've ordered two snoods for safety sake and I may need a safety helmet if I take Mrs H up hills that are too steep        ;D

There are no flat walks up here but once we get the all clear I'll be back walking on the Great Orme, there's no place like home

Somewhere in the shed thingy I have a hard hat, sent by my family as a joke when I cut my head open on a tree branch. I could perhaps de-spider it and post it to you if the situation with Mrs H gets any worse. !!! $donald$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #490 on: March 28, 2020, 04:29:22 pm »
Thanks for the offer Nemesis butt you might need it yourself when you tackle those goats

In the meantime this actually happened:-
A workmate of mine and his wife ran a pub near Bangor and we used to see him come to work with cuts and bruises on his head and he readily admitted that he got beaten up by his wife
Domestic violence is an awful thing and the guy was such a nice, popular easy going person
Everyone seemed to know about the abuse and thought that he was stupid to put up with it.     Anyway on his 60th birthday he invited many people to the pub and a few of his friends had brought him a present.     It was wrapped in a large box and he was requested to wear it and walk around the pub
So in front of the waiting audience he opened his present and the present turned out to be a safety helmet with a frying pan stuck to the top of the helmet.
Fair play he put it on his head and walked around the pub while his wife was scowling at him behind the bar.    I wouldn't fancy his chances that night        *punch*

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #491 on: March 28, 2020, 09:30:50 pm »
You might well say that Hugo, just read on FB that they are back in our road again. My OH had to shift 20 plus from outside our front gate the other night. Just when I thought the church in town had got them. Beginning to be a bit like 'Jaws'. &shake&
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #492 on: March 30, 2020, 03:14:47 pm »
Today we had our once a day exercise and it was a walk up Llanrwst Road as far as Bryn Y Maen.      It was a fairly gentle walk with some great views on either side of the road
At Bryn Y Maen we had a look at the "Cathedral in the Hills "  as it is locally known.    It was bought and paid for by Charles and Eleanor Frost and their graves are at the back of the Church in a fenced off grave
Eleanor Frost ( nee Jones ) came from a very poor family and lived in a cottage nearby that is now just a ruin.    When she was a child she would walk to church in Llandrillo and she vowed if it was ever possible she would have a Church built near her birthplace
Anyway in 1838 Eleanor became a servant to the family of Mr James John Frost a wealthy industrialist and married James' son Charles in 1863 and the rest is history

Offline Hugo

« Reply #493 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:58 am »
On our walk to Bryn Y Maen earlier this week we realised how lucky we are to be living near such beautiful countryside, it was only when we got to near Bryn Y Maen that we saw evidence of the worst part of human nature.
In the hedgerow was a large electric radiator that had been dumped there by some sly lazy misfit.
On our way back and opposite the view in the first photo we saw a small open field that seemed to be the start of some fly tipping, there were numerous black bin bags with household rubbish and a large fridge freezer
I've reported the matter to CCBC with a photo but whether any action is taken in the present circumstances only time will tell.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #494 on: April 04, 2020, 04:25:03 pm »
Last night I looked at my O/S map and Google satellite and it showed me that there was a public footpath going from the Bryn Cadno Community Centre direct to the Gwern Tyno Farm in Nany Y Glyn Valley
I thought that this would be the ideal place for me to take a photo of Fox Hill that I have previously talked about .and decided to have my once a day exercise doing that walk.
Straight away the views are stunning and the path went very very steeply downhill (  I may bring Mrs H up this way if I dare! ) near the bottom instead of turning sharply to the left I found to my dismay that the footpath had been redirected and would take me in the direction of Bryn Y Maen.    I followed the path for about 200 yards then it became unclear so I headed to the farm only to find a board on the gate saying no unauthorised access.    So I was left with a dilemma as it was about 40  yards to the main road or about 400 yards up a very steep hill.    Should I go back up the hill or open the gate, anyway I thought about it for a second or two and opened the gate and walked on to Nant Y Glyn Road.
Then I followed the road back to the next footpath that was to take me up to the rocky part of Pen Y Bryn Road and then home