Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193518 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #465 on: July 06, 2019, 10:21:47 am »
Great pics again Fester that was all our playground growing up on the Orme ,you've lived up the Orme a few good years and now finding the time to explore , we used to climb down from hill 60 at the far side of the cave.

Why is it called Hill 60?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #466 on: July 06, 2019, 10:37:28 am »
Battle for Ypres?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Jack

« Reply #467 on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:40 am »
Or Hill 60 Gallipoli but what would the connection be to the Orme?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #468 on: July 06, 2019, 12:41:11 pm »
Nice pictures, Fester. So what did you think of it, now you've seen it?

I’m puzzled by it as much as impressed by it.
I’m not sure if it was hollowed out like that in order to quarry out the stone, and if so when?
I’d have thought it was easier and safer to get stone out of conventional quarries.
Also, there is that scary looking dark tunnel, which I have no idea how far back it goes.
There are so many cracks in the ceiling it looks like slabs could fall down at any time.
Also, there’s quite a few cans and other litter, so it looks like it’s well used in the evenings by a certain type of modern cave dweller!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #469 on: July 06, 2019, 01:32:24 pm »
That scary little passage that you refer to Fester was it at the top of a pile of soil that is immediately on your right as you enter the cave?
If so that is Brenda's Stream Passage and comes out by those two houses set above Ty Gwyn Road. I've copied this from the previous link I posted recently

"Happy Valley Quarry ceased work in 1897. Elephant Cave dig, in right wall of first cavern, a dog-leg passage leading to outside cavern. Brenda’s Stream Passage in right wall, backing onto the two houses Ardwy Orme and Glain."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #470 on: July 06, 2019, 05:21:53 pm »
Oh OK, I know the two houses that you mean.
It’s hard for me to imagine how far that distance of the tunnel to those houses would be.
It seems like a long way away, but from the top of that pile of soil, and peering in, there is a dim glimmer of light further in.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #471 on: July 06, 2019, 05:33:15 pm »
We had a lovely day exploring the area between Mostyn and Prestatyn ending with a walk along the beach and promenade at Prestatyn.
The Duke of Lancaster had had a coat of paint since I last saw it covered with graffiti. We overheard someone saying that 30 brass portholes had been stolen from it and they were obviously still concerned about vandalism as there were lots of security cameras on site.
The flowers looked super on the dunes at Talacre and the lighthouse also looked like it had had a coat of paint since the Dulux advert. I remember seeing it on here on Dave's interesting properties thread.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #472 on: July 06, 2019, 05:35:04 pm »
There is a cave to the right of Elephants cave so it could be that the light is coming from there.   I've never crawled through that tunnel and I wouldn't even fit in it now

Offline hollins

« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2019, 02:18:18 pm »
Yesterday we parked the car at Penmaenmawr Station and walked to Conwy. Not your everyday scenic walk which was between the A55 and the railway line for the first half but interesting nevertheless. It was a little bit intimidating walking so close to what is effectively a motorway with occasional open gaps which must be for railway access.
An aperitif at the Mulberry was most welcome before continuing for an excellent tapas lunch at the Midland. Then back to the car via the bus with a formula one driver!

Offline hollins

« Reply #474 on: July 10, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »
Penmaenmawr to Conwy walk.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #475 on: July 23, 2019, 06:34:24 pm »
We enjoyed a nice drive along the western coast of Anglesey and had a short walk from the end of the lane to St Cwyfan's Church in Aberffraw.     What was nice was that a few years ago my wife was suffering from Chronic Fatigue and couldn't walk far but at least that time from the car park she could see the Bride and Groom walking up the causeway.    This time she could walk to the Church and it is in a beautiful location.
The weather was hot and the mountains were as clear as anything so it was well worth going there today.
We then drove along the coastal road through Rhosneigr which was packed with tourists but we didn't stop and returned for home stopping at Bangor where we enjoyed a nice lunch in Domu's, a little gem of a cafe in the high street.     The staff there were so nice and friendly and the food was really tasty, in fact we're going back again soon

Offline hollins

« Reply #476 on: July 27, 2019, 02:31:32 pm »
We had a great day out on Tuesday at the Royal Welsh Show. Here are some pics.

Offline hollins

« Reply #477 on: July 27, 2019, 02:33:40 pm »
Royal Welsh Show 2019, the 100th show.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #478 on: November 28, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »
We had planned a walk today but by the time we reached Betws Y Coed it was pouring down so instead we had a couple of hours being chauffeured around the Penmachno area by Tellytubby
The first stop that we had was at the old Woolen Mill and we crossed the bridge over the fast flowing Afon Machno to have a look at the old "Roman Bridge"   it is not actually Roman but dates to the medieval or post-medieval period. The bridge has a single segmental arch without parapets.
We then went to Capel Salem where my Great Grandparents Joseph and Jane Hughes and some of the family were buried and then continued up the steep narrow forest road until we cam to Ty Mawr  Wybrnant which was the birthplace of Bishop William Morgan who did the first translation of the whole Bible into Welsh
Then back downhill to Penmachno where I went into the Eagles Hotel and took a photo of the inglenook fire and the lintel that had been engraved onto it by my G Grandfather.
We then made our way back to Betws passing near the Machno Falls  where a few photos were taken and then on to the Royal Oak where we enjoyed a meal in the Stables Bar

Offline Hugo

« Reply #479 on: November 28, 2019, 04:51:22 pm »
Penmachno