Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193425 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:15 am »
We have a small but good group of friends who go out for walks together but Tellytubby had spotted something different and we all fancied giving it a go as we had been on a rip ride on the Menai Straits last year.
So on Wednesday we headed to Beaumaris and had a walk around the castle first before making our way to the pier for our boat ride.  The town was busy and the pier was packed with children who were crabbing from the sides of the pier and really enjoying  themselves.
Our boat was a small 8 seater high powered inflatable boat and the skipper was a guy called Jason who took us to Puffin Island last year, this time however we were heading in the opposite direction and going under both bridges before returning to Beaumaris.    Apart from being quite a character Jason is very safety conscious and went through all the procedures first of all before allowing us to get on the boat.
Then we were off straight into the middle of the straits at speeds up to 50 mph where he did numerous figure of eight movements before heading to the Anglesey coastline at a more leisurely pace.   
Along the coast and unseen from the main road are some absolutely luxurious waterfront properties and the properties seemed to get more expensive as we got nearer Menai Bridge, one having been bought for over 5 million pounds!
After the last island called Ynys Y Castell where some scenes from Hidden were filmed, we headed under the suspension bridge and went past Ynys Gored Goch which is the island with two cottages on it and is situated between the two bridges.  Then it was under the Brittania Bridge where we saw the statue of Lord Nelson on the banks of the straits with the Church of St Mary in the background.
Then it was back to Beaumaris.       It was well worth the 20 pound for the trip on the Rib ride but be prepared to hold on tight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnk3WShs0U

Offline Hugo

« Reply #451 on: August 31, 2018, 11:37:05 am »
Menai Straits rib ride

Offline Hugo

« Reply #452 on: September 14, 2018, 12:16:35 pm »
We visited Llanberis on Wednesday and there is quite a lot of attractions in the area but as we found out to our cost, it is advisable to book beforehand for certain attractions.
The trains up Snowdon and around Llyn Padarn were as busy as usual and we were able to go inside the old Quarry Hospital which was open then

Offline Hugo

« Reply #453 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:35 pm »
Llanberis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #454 on: June 29, 2019, 02:12:49 pm »
I couldn't get a parking space in Llandudno Town yesterday so I went up the Great Orme and parked in the Ski Centre car park instead.  It was a beautiful hot day and I just wanted to get out and have a short walk in that area.
After parking there the first thing I did was to have a walk down to see the Donkeys in Wyddfyd Road and then up to Pen Dinas to the Rocking Stone and admire the views of the town from up there.   There was a herd of Goats nearby and they all looked quite young compared to some of the old Billy Goats that you often see on the Orme
I then went and had a look at Elephants Cave before walking around the gardens of Happy Valley and then I made my way back up to the car park
I finished the day off by driving around the Marine Drive and stopping for a nice Latte and slice of Coffee cake at the cafe but I stayed indoors to have them as even with that breeze up there it was still too hot for me in the Sun
It just shows you that if we have good weather then there is no better place to be than at home

Offline Hugo

« Reply #455 on: June 29, 2019, 02:14:37 pm »
Llandudno

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #456 on: June 29, 2019, 02:21:22 pm »
Great pics Hugo, my old playground growing up, no better place to live we are very spoilt 🌞, going on the westshore 6/7 o'clock in the morning seeing all the rabbits playing and the foxes by the old Gogarth abbey.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #457 on: June 29, 2019, 03:21:00 pm »
Thanks Norman,  we were very fortunate to be born when we were and to live in such a beautiful area.     I can remember the times when I walked up Haulfre Gardens and over the golf course when I came to your place, nice memories and so many years ago.
Other times I came on the tram ( free of course ) with your Dad and we used to jump off it as it slowed down by Killen's Hill.   No such thing as Health and Safety then, just common sense.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #458 on: June 30, 2019, 11:40:44 pm »
You certainly covered a lot of miles there Hugo, well done Sir.
We have been doing various Orme walks, about twice a week this last few weeks, trying to discover different little places, and different ways of doing it.... however, we have still never been to Elephant’s Cave.
Thanks for the excellent pictures, hope you enjoyed that well earned latte.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #459 on: July 01, 2019, 07:06:35 am »
Elephant's Cave is well worth a visit and, unlike most, is easy to access. They filmed an episode of Dr Who there, some years ago.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #460 on: July 01, 2019, 08:40:42 am »
Thanks Fester,  it was such a lovely day that I couldn't resist a walk on the Orme.     Elephant's cave is easy to find and is on the right hand side as you are going down the road from the Ski Centre.
It is part of a complex of caves but is the most impressive by far
I've got a map called Secrets of the Great Orme and nearly all the places of interest are on it, well worth a look at if you can still get one now.

I've attached a link for you of the Great Orme caves

https://sites.google.com/site/cavesofnorthwales/11-caves-of-llandudno

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #461 on: July 01, 2019, 09:06:14 am »
Elephant's Cave is well worth a visit and, unlike most, is easy to access. They filmed an episode of Dr Who there, some years ago.

Went in there a number of years ago, very interesting, apart from the dreadful smell ! It felt very eerie to me, but I perhaps would have been better if I hadn't tackled it alone !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #462 on: July 06, 2019, 12:06:15 am »
We finally made it into Elephant’s Cave, on a wander around various Orme sites the other day.
A few pictures.  Note how overgrown all the ferns have become in the recent good growing weather, almost making many paths impassable.
The Roman Ffynon Well was also bone dry and choked with nettles.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #463 on: July 06, 2019, 08:46:38 am »
Great pics again Fester that was all our playground growing up on the Orme ,you've lived up the Orme a few good years and now finding the time to explore , we used to climb down from hill 60 at the far side of the cave.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #464 on: July 06, 2019, 09:01:52 am »
Nice pictures, Fester. So what did you think of it, now you've seen it?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.