Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193361 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 04:29:03 pm »
One of the prettiest villages on Anglesey is Cemaes Bay and it's at the end of one of my favourite walks on the Island, Bull Bay to Cemaes Bay.  After the Church of Llanbadrig you can go to the vineyard near the Church (free samples there Fester and Y Draig Goch is a nice red one) and then on to Cemaes Bay.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »
Caernarfon is another nice place to go and apart from the castle there are other places of interest and some nice cafes and bars too.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »
I've been to Caernarfon many times over the years.... but I think the shine has worn off more and more.

The Castle is my favourite one, and The Black Boy is a superb pub, (the food is top notch)

But in the town of Caernarfon I find that there are too many poor quality shops, and far too many closed down and boarded up.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »
The Llyn Peninsular

As it was a pleasant afternoon we decided to take a drive along the Peninsular passing through places like Criccieth, Abersoch and onto Aberdaron. The latter is a delightful former fishing village and of course R S Thomas has connections with it. Unfortunately we did not have a lot of time there but it wetted our appetite to renew our contact with the place in the near future.

For anyone not knowing the area, it is well worth a visit as is this website perhaps before you go. www.aberdaronlink.co.uk/about/about.html

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 07:58:06 am »
Looks a pleasant place to visit, Stan.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:37 pm »
A group of us did the Pilgrim's Walk in May last year. We saw the walk on Derek Brockway's Weatherman Walking and fancied a go ourselves.  Aberdaron is a lovely quiet place and what struck us most was the quality and way of life down there. 
We started from Y Gegin Fawr in Aberdaron and walked along the coast to where the Pilgrim's would have departed for their journey to Bardsey Island.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:50 pm »
How does the quality of life in Aberdaron differ to that of say, Llandudno or Colwyn Bay?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »
They have honesty boxes on some farms where you take what you want from the refrigerators that are by the farm entrance and put the appropriate money in a box.
On Bardsey Island they have shops where you pick the item you want, write down in a book what you have taken and again put the appropriate money in a box.
Both the farm and shop have no one there to supervise anything.
Can you imagine some one running a business like that in the Bay or Llandudno?  Although they are in a tiny minority some scumbags would run off with the contents and cash box and nick the refrigerator in the process.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
This morning we had an outing to Beaumaris to see an old mansion house, its called Baron Hill.

entering Beaumaris I liked the colours on the houses

following the directions kindly given to us by DaveR we parked up and found one of the old lodges

it was once a very grand house

All very spooky, we heard church bells ringing, crows and ravens calling and an owl hooting!

but many years of neglect and vandalism have left it a ruin

more here about the house, well worth a look and we'll be back there!
  http://druidsrevenge.blogspot.com/2010/10/hanes-mon-lost-mansion-of-baron-hill.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:06:31 pm by Merddin Emrys »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 06:24:12 pm »
Glad to see you found Baron Hill ok, its a fascinating place.   ;) My favourite pic is of this fragment of plaster that clings defiantly on after all these years, a reminder of how grand the house once was:

Survivor by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:36:21 pm by DaveR »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 06:35:09 pm »
Glad to see you found Baron Hill ok, its a fascinating place.   ;)

Helen and I loved it Dave, a magical place and thanks again for the info, I would never have known otherwise, I took around 60 pics there  :D

Offline dwsi

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 06:49:08 pm »
Someone *coughs* has kindly uploaded some photos of how Baron Hill used to look here:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?locid=22551&galid=21181

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 08:29:58 pm »
Tell Fester MORE about Baron Hill.

Who used to live there?  Why did it fall into such disrepair?

There must be a fascinating tale of riches to rags behind this..
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 09:09:09 pm »
Glad to see you found Baron Hill ok, its a fascinating place.   ;) My favourite pic is of this fragment of plaster that clings defiantly on after all these years, a reminder of how grand the house once was:

Survivor by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

I loved that plaster too and took a similar pic and this close up, you can see the wire constuction