Author Topic: Old Postcards - Llandudno Pavilion, Promenade & Pier  (Read 91588 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Old Postcards - Llandudno Promenade & Pier
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2011, 06:27:04 am »
The pier circa 1880:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »
The pier circa 1880:

This one needs to be framed and available for sale....

Just imagine what pristine condition it was in at that time....  I would love to have seen it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2011, 02:52:03 am »
The pier circa 1880:

This one needs to be framed and available for sale....

Just imagine what pristine condition it was in at that time....  I would love to have seen it.

I thought you've just seen it?  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2011, 08:14:38 am »
The pier circa 1880:
Interesting to see the pierhead was much smaller than it is now. In that photo, the section between the cafe and toilets has not yet been built.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Old Postcards - Llandudno Pavilion, Promenade & Pier
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2011, 08:22:19 pm »
The Lady Of Mann, pictured just off the Pier in 2003:

Llandudno by frankrog, on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2011, 09:03:38 pm »
Visit of the cruise liner 'Kungsholm' to the Pier in 1969. The Kungsholm was renamed the Europa and sank in Cadiz harbour in 1984

[smg id=1187]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:05:13 pm by DaveR »

Yorkie

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:31 pm »
Which tends to add substance to that old sailor's warning - that it is unlucky to change a ship's name!!!     L0L    L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2011, 02:20:48 am »
In May 1968, the Llandudno lifeboat Lilly Wainwright, made international news when she went to the aid of the 314 ton pleasure steamer St.Trillo which, with a fouled propellor, was dragging her anchor and drifting towards the Little Orme. On board were 420 people, including 325 wealthy Americans from the Swedish liner Kungsholm. These annual visits by the sister ships Kungsholm or Gripsholm were advertised in the United States as being "for Americans who have seen everywhere else".

The “St. Trillo” was acting as tender to the Kungsholm, which was anchored 1 1/2 miles offshore and returning passengers to the ship as part of a “Spring Adventure Cruise”. Also on board the tender were several members of the Kungsholm's crew and aprox 50 local residents who had paid half a crown for a closer look at the liner. Events turned for the worse, when the St Trillo attempted to tie up alongside the Kungsholm the mooring rope from the Kungsholm became wrapped round the port propellor of the St.Trillo. As the St Trillo drifted away, her overworked starboard engine failed and was within minutes of striking the Little Orme. In worsening weather lifeboats from Llandudno, Rhyl and Moelfre stood by but the situation became serious when the ships doctor reported that at least three passengers needed emergency doses of insulin. By this time the Kungsholm had put to sea because of the northerly gale and it was into the teeth of this gale that the Lilly Wainwright set off in pursuit of the liner and collect insulin packs and syringes which were then transferred to the “St. Trillo”. With ropes attached to two lifeboats at the stern and the Conwy trawler Kilravock acting as a tug, the “St. Trillo” was later berthed at Llandudno Pier, from where the passengers were taken to a hotel for the night. The passengers expressed their gratitude to the crewmen by placing dollars to the value of £3,562.00 in a collecting box.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:30:24 am by Trojan »

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2011, 10:46:24 am »
I remember the American Liner and the sudden influx of Americans who would descend on the town, one of them stopped a group of us and asked us "what's the name of this city?" and he wrote down our answer asking us to spell it out, - "D as in Doughnut?"

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:21 am »
I see that Holyhead have had another £250,000 from WAG to enable cruise liners to call. If only Llandudno could get a few quid to get its Landing Stage back into use, eh? Sadly, our elected representative doesn't seem that bothered:

"Conwy County Cllr Chris Hughes, who chaired a tourism destination working group, said: "I am delighted that more cruise ships will be coming.""
http://www.theonlinemail.co.uk/bangor-and-anglesey-news/local-bangor-and-anglesey-news/2011/03/09/new-cruise-ship-hopes-as-250-000-is-invested-in-holyhead-dredging-66580-28304802/

I don't recall him ever saying anything about Llandudno's Landing Stage? Maybe he's more concerned about things that go on several counties away rather than in Conwy County itself?  :o :laugh:

Offline Jack

« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »
I'm guessing that this image of the war memorial was taken in the twenties, presumably not long after it was constructed, and with the amount of floral tributes - the pain of war still fresh in the memory.

Offline Jack

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »
Childrens service at North Shore - looked nice and sandy back then  :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:51 am »
Summer 1961

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2013, 11:49:26 am »
From a Sixties guide book

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2013, 02:18:36 pm »
Does it say which year, Andy? To my mind, this is the quintessential shot of Llandudno in its heyday.